sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 25, 2019 1:13 pm  #1

The CRTC Wants Your Comments On The CBC. What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Well, this should prove interesting. As the renewal hearing for all CBC stations nears, the CRTC is asking Canadians to provide public comments on various aspects of the network (although not about its funding, which is up to the federal government.)

To make matters even more bizarre, they’re polling citizens via Facebook.

There are a large number of areas The Commission is concentrating on, many of which fill the politically correct categories you’d expect of a government agency. Among them:

-Is CBC News serving your needs? What should it do about the ongoing problem of “fake news?”

-Does the CBC do enough to make you aware a program is CanCon?

-Does the CBC serve the need of each specific region in which it operates?

-Does the CBC reflect your cultural diversity experience, especially from the following groups:

women
Indigenous
ethnic and multicultural groups
OLMCs
children and youth
Canadians with disabilities
LGBTQ2 Canadians

(What, exactly, are OLMCs? I’ve tried to find this online and nothing comes up beyond Our Lady Of Mount Carmel Church!)

And perhaps my favourite and the one sure to be the most tempting to those who gather here:

-Is CBC/Radio-Canada creating and making available high-quality original Canadian programming? Could improvements be made? If so, how?

That last one could fill columns and columns of space, all of which will likely be completely ignored by defenders of the Corporation and its “mission.”

The full list of questions - some 33 in all - can be found here. 

Deadline for Facebook submissions is Dec. 9th.

November 25, 2019 1:31 pm  #2

Re: The CRTC Wants Your Comments On The CBC. What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Official Language Minority Communities.

November 25, 2019 1:34 pm  #3

Thank you. I knew someone here would know. 

Now what happens if I want to comment on Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church?

November 25, 2019 2:14 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Well, you certainly do have that right...  (I'm sure it is enshrined in our constitution somewhere).

As a first step, I would suggest you contact the CBC directly (if you have not already done so).  They will most likely offer to produce an in depth Pod Cast series on Your Ladies of Mount Carmel Church, if they do not already have such content.  Have you had an opportunity to do a deep dive on GEM?

November 25, 2019 3:35 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

It depends.  If it requires a Facebook membership,  then I'm out.

November 25, 2019 5:24 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Thank you. I knew someone here would know. 

I didn't know. I looked it up on Google. It took awhile. I found a ridiculous number of references to the church / school. This may be jargon only the CRTC knows about - I didn't check that far. 

November 25, 2019 6:08 pm  #7

I know there will be (have been) a few guffaws about this whole process, but I find that I listen to the CBC Radio  more and more as the Corporates just give up on what I'm looking for: local and national/international news and intelligent conversation. And although this is heresy for those of us who made our living on flogging stuff,  no commercials.

I don't like all of it, but do you like the infomercials on your fave station?

And to answer your next question, no I don`t mind paying for it. I get value for my money.  In fact. if there were no CBC I would be paying for satellite to get NPR.

TV is a different story. So help me,  if they re-invent that red-head from P-E-I one more time ...  !!!

lol

November 25, 2019 6:53 pm  #8

potentiometer wrote:

So help me,  if they re-invent that red-head from P-E-I one more time ...  !!!
lol

Your wish is their command.

‘Anne with an E’ cancelled after three seasons on CBC and Netflix

November 25, 2019 7:04 pm  #9

November 25, 2019 7:10 pm  #10

Tim Brown 2016 wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

It depends.  If it requires a Facebook membership,  then I'm out. 

+1

In light of what is widely known about Facebook, it is outrageous that a Canadian government agency is making membership on the platform the sole requirement for public commentary.

With that in mind, I highly recommend The newsletter that the CBC doesn't want you to read.

The use of Facebook as a sole source for commenting has been an increasing trend for a few years.  It's bad enough that publications outsource access to their Comments feature;  but a Crown Agency?