sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2019 3:31 am  #1

Watch the Grey Cup football game for $4.99 !

TSN is really pushing their $4.99 daily pass to encourage fans to watch the 107th Grey Cup football game between the Tiger-Cats and the Blue Bombers this afternoon at 6pm.

With more people cutting the cable cord, and the high cost of sports packages, this streaming option seems like a good idea. There's a month pass too. I'd be curious to see what the sales numbers are like after today's game.

Not a football fan, hockey's my game, but ... Go Winnipeg!

November 24, 2019 9:08 am  #2

Re: Watch the Grey Cup football game for $4.99 !

Even though the TSN/RDS deal has been overall  good for both the networks and the CFL, it is too bad that the Grey Cup and some of the regular season games are not on regular OTA television. TSN being a pay or specialty service is limited in coverage and as you mentioned more and more people are cutting cable. I am sure some have subscribed for the game today, but a lot of people will go to a Grey Cup party or to a local bar to watch the game.

CBC back in the day did a great job of CFL broadcasts but with the current deal now extended to 2026, CBC or any other traditional broadcaster will ;not be in the running for a while.  The CFL needs the exposure and I am not sure that TSN/RDS alone will be able to do that for the league in the years ahead.

November 24, 2019 11:49 am  #3

Maybe...  Do they send it to me in a cheque or just credit the $4.99 on my bill?

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

November 24, 2019 12:23 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

TSN being a pay or specialty service is limited in coverage and as you mentioned more and more people are cutting cable.

"limited in coverage"? TSN (and MuchMusic) are the original "pay" specialty channels (after FC, SC and C-Channel) back in the day. It is available on every platform now. One can hardly blame its "coverage" if one VOLUNTARILY "cuts their cable". 

And, how much of a savings is cutting the cable, anyway? If you get 2, 3, 4... streaming services, you're paying the same as cable.

November 24, 2019 1:56 pm  #5

Yes limited in coverage. TSN is a pay service, and is not included in basic cable packages, so no it is not available on every platform.  Why is NHL Hockey Night in Canada is still on CBC?  Because CBC is available OTA and more people than you would think don't subscribe to Sportsnet.   So coverage on TSN is limited and of course not available OTA.

Actually Rogers would be absolutely losing their shirt with the NHL hockey deal if it wasn't for the coverage provided by CBC. They are losing money as it is, but if the CBC coverage wasn't there for the regular season and playoffs, it would have been a complete  financial and ratings disaster so far.  That's why the arrangement with CBC was extended until 2026, to coincide with the end of the Rogers NHL contract.

November 24, 2019 2:12 pm  #6

ig wrote:

Maybe...  Do they send it to me in a cheque or just credit the $4.99 on my bill?

You would have to pay me to watch the CFL. 

November 24, 2019 2:13 pm  #7

paterson1 wrote:

Yes limited in coverage. TSN is a pay service, and is not included in basic cable packages, so no it is not available on every platform. 

"Platform" as it's available on cable, satellite, IPtv, paypass (daily/monthly). So, yes, it is on every platform. Whether you subscribe and pay is your choice.

November 24, 2019 2:46 pm  #8

cash wrote:

ig wrote:

You would have to pay me to watch the CFL. 

And a lot more than $4.99.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 24, 2019 3:06 pm  #9

It is your choice to pay or not, but you are also paying for something that used to be available at no extra cost. So in that respect it is limited. And the proof of this as I have already mentioned, is the arrangement with Rogers and CBC for NHL hockey.  CBC is more accessible to more people than Sportsnet.  If CBC and Sportsnet were equal why did Rogers extend the agreement until the end of their NHL contract? And why would the agreement include the playoffs and Stanley Cup on CBC? The ratings and coverage are always better when you include an over the air partner, rather than just relying on pay services. It would have been suicide for Rogers financially and as a business if they didn't have a national OTA partner for the NHL hockey contract.

November 24, 2019 3:20 pm  #10

Very simple answer: live sports is almost cord-cutter proof. Sports is in the unique position of being the main reason don't take that final step. Paying piecemeal for sports is almost always more hassle and cost than just staying with cable.

As for the rest of the CBC/Sportsnet/NHL "rationalization"... Huh?

November 24, 2019 4:16 pm  #11

TheConsultant wrote:

Very simple answer: live sports is almost cord-cutter proof. Sports is in the unique position of being the main reason don't take that final step. Paying piecemeal for sports is almost always more hassle and cost than just staying with cable.

As for the rest of the CBC/Sportsnet/NHL "rationalization"... Huh?

CBC, CTV, Global are more accessible to more people and homes than Sportsnet or TSN, and at no extra cost.

This is why NHL hockey is still on CBC since they reach more homes than Sportsnet, . The original deal was for three years partnering with CBC, but in 2017 Rogers and CBC agreed to an extension until the end of the Rogers/NHL contract to 2026. Even with the limited coverage of Rogers City tv and Omni channels, Hockey Night in Canada would not have the ratings without the CBC.

And getting back to my original comment, as good as the TSN/RDS/CFL agreement has been for both the network and league, I am not sure that the extended TSN deal to 2026 will give the CFL enough TV exposure.  Ideally if there had been a secondary component with either CTV, CBC or Global would be the best for the league and viewers.  

November 24, 2019 4:26 pm  #12

I will be watching the Dallas-New England game on CTV. 

November 24, 2019 4:33 pm  #13

cash wrote:

I will be watching the Dallas-New England game on CTV. 

Good for you cash, enjoy. I'll be pulling for Hamilton later today.

November 24, 2019 4:45 pm  #14

This arrangement works pretty well for me as a casual sports fan. I come in and out for playoff runs, World JR's, etc....event sports. 

I'll pay $5 tonight for this. 

November 24, 2019 5:24 pm  #15

To me there's no better example of corporate greed than the NFL being on free TV and the CFL not being on free TV.

The sim sub is more important than televising the more relevant game to the biggest audience.

November 24, 2019 5:39 pm  #16

Prod Guy wrote:

To me there's no better example of corporate greed than the NFL being on free TV and the CFL not being on free TV.

The sim sub is more important than televising the more relevant game to the biggest audience.

If CFL got the bigger audience, it would be OTA rather than NFL. Nothing to do with Simsub.

November 24, 2019 6:35 pm  #17

CFL viewership overall is fine, so it is not really a ratings issue for OTA. The Grey Cup will have the largest ratings this week on Numeris. . And this is with no other network or OTA coverage.  One of the few times that TSN will have the number one program in the country.

The issue is that the CFL TV deal is exclusive to TSN and RDS. The new contract is for $50 million per year until 2026. And could be worth even more depending how the league does for ratings in the years ahead. TSN is spending big bucks for the exclusive TV rights in Canada.  

So I can see why the CFL has this agreement, it is good for both parties. However looking at the big picture there is no doubt that the CFL would do a better job expanding it's fan base if there was an over the air component in the schedule as well. There isn't and won't be any chance of any OTA coverage until after 2026. 

Actually broadcast rights for sports in Canada will be very interesting in a few years.  Rogers hockey deal finishes in 2026, as does the CFL TV deal, and the CBC's olympic contract ends after the 2024 olympics.

I think we will see some very interesting broadcasting alliances coming up in the years ahead. Doubt very much that Rogers will ever sign another NHL deal like the current contract, since ratings haven't been the best and they apparently are losing money on the deal.  CBC already has a good relationship with TSN and Sportsnet, but I am sure Bell Media will make a play for olympic coverage in a few years, and that would be a major blow for CBC if they get out bid by Bell.

November 24, 2019 6:44 pm  #18

paterson1 wrote:

CFL viewership overall is fine, so it is not really a ratings issue for OTA. .

"Fine" is the right word. NFL is significantly better, hence why it's on CTV rather than cable, especially given that Canada's biggest TV market really doesn't support its CFL team. 

November 24, 2019 7:10 pm  #19

The CFL should spread their rights around. The CBC should have a weekly game, not that I would watch minor league football. 

November 24, 2019 7:26 pm  #20

RadioAaron wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

CFL viewership overall is fine, so it is not really a ratings issue for OTA. .

"Fine" is the right word. NFL is significantly better, hence why it's on CTV rather than cable, especially given that Canada's biggest TV market really doesn't support its CFL team. 

No, the real reason the NFL games are on CTV is that CTV wants the Superbowl. And to get the Superbowl you need to take regular season games. Considering the promotion that TSN/CTV/CTV2 gives the NFL, their regular season ratings are not exceptional, better than the CFL yes but how could they not be?

When the CFL schedule was split between TSN and CBC, the CFL regular season games often  matched and outdrew the NFL in ratings. My point is that generally CFL regular season ratings would be stronger if there were an over the air partner like before.  And the reason there was not an OTA component initially was not really ratings based but because the deal was exclusive to TSN and RDS. And TSN paid big money for this.

November 24, 2019 8:05 pm  #21

paterson1 wrote:

[And the reason there was not an OTA component initially was not really ratings based but because the deal was exclusive to TSN and RDS. And TSN paid big money for this.

Bell paid big money for it, not TSN. Bell has the leverage to decide which league is OTA is which is TSN.  Bell decided, all in, NFL gets them (and will get them, regardless of promotion) more ratings than CFL.

The overall ratings for every weekend NFL game on CTV are bigger in total than the Superbowl itself. Overall, regular season plus championship game for both leagues -- NFL is bigger by a long shot. That's why the whole package is OTA and CFL is not.

Last year's Grey Cup was #3 in Toronto, and it all looks worse if you go 18-49. There's no reason for this game to be OTA on a commercial network - never mind the regular season.

Last edited by RadioAaron (November 24, 2019 8:14 pm)

November 24, 2019 9:14 pm  #22

Sorry, you are correct, Bell paid and not TSN. So last year the Grey Cup had the number #1 program, #9 for the countdown show and #15 the post show. 3.1 million, 1.7 mil and 1.2 mil. The NFL early game was #23 with an audience of 946 thousand.  And ultimately it is up to Bell how the schedule works since they control the TV rights for both CFL and NFL in Canada. Actually the game was down a lot last year compared to 2017 when the Grey Cup had 4 million viewers.

I get that, but what I am saying is that viewers and the league would  be better served if the CFL schedule was not exclusive to TSN and was split like it used to be between TSN and CBC.  Bell was smart business wise outbidding CBC for the exclusive rights and shutting out them out. But the CFL would have better exposure and  stronger ratings in the regular season if the schedule had some games and the Grey Cup on an OTA broadcaster like CBC. 

Keith Urban is killing it on the half time show! 

November 24, 2019 9:19 pm  #23

Packers-49ers 

Last edited by cash (November 24, 2019 9:19 pm)

November 24, 2019 9:38 pm  #24

paterson1 wrote:

Keith Urban is killing it on the half time show! 

Well, here I will agree with you 100%. 

November 24, 2019 10:51 pm  #25

The good thing about the Grey Cup being over is that I will hear absolutely nothing about the CFL until next June. 

November 25, 2019 6:24 am  #26

This thread began w. a comment that Canadians should be able to catch the CFL championship with an OTA antenna, then attracted comment to the effect that "free" is still too expensive for Cdn football.     Personally I thought the Hamilton/Winnipeg game was at least as entertaining as the NFL's Buffalo/Denver match earlier in the afternoon.  

November 25, 2019 8:57 am  #27

Kilgore wrote:

This thread began w. a comment that Canadians should be able to catch the CFL championship with an OTA antenna, then attracted comment to the effect that "free" is still too expensive for Cdn football.     Personally I thought the Hamilton/Winnipeg game was at least as entertaining as the NFL's Buffalo/Denver match earlier in the afternoon.  

Yes I agree. Regardless what some feel, there is nothing wrong about the quality of the CFL. It's just different than the NFL.   Yesterday's Grey Cup was average, not the most exciting, but not a snore fest either. Great that they had two teams playing that hadn't won a title in a long time. Congrats to Winnipeg!  The CFL has problems marketing, particularly in the GTA.

I find generally Canadian media and in this case the CFL aren't the best at promoting and marketing their league.  The NFL is the best, and are so good at selling the sizzle and hype of their product that at times the actual game (Super Bowl) is not  the main draw for many viewers. The Super Bowl commercials, tailgating and half time show often are as much of an attraction as the game itself. And whatever network in the US that carries the Super Bowl is far superior to any Canadian media in terms of production and promotion.   Last year's Super Bowl was a boring game, but actually it didn't really matter overall since the whole production, commercials and half time show carried the day. 

Last edited by paterson1 (November 25, 2019 9:05 am)

November 25, 2019 10:59 am  #28

Prod Guy wrote:

Actually, it has everything to do with simsub. Bell, with their CTV/CTV2 affiliates, tries to get as many NFL games simsubbed as possible. Seahawk games in B.C. and Alberta, Viking games in Manitoba, Bills games in the GTA, Giant games in Montreal and Patriot games in Atlantic Canada. I can understand why CTV would simsub Dallas/NE. It was a rare 4:25 national telecast. Since Bell owns all three networks, why couldn't the Grey Cup game have been carried by CTV2? Now you have some OTA  coverage.                                                                                              For the record, I did watch the game on my tv, with Dallas/NE on my laptop [simsub free] and Jack/Tenn on my phone [also simsub free]