sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 19, 2019 7:20 pm  #1

Torstar Closing StarMetro Newspapers Across Canada

Looks like Torstar is closing it free regional newspapers across Canada.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/toronto-star-star-metro-closing-1.5365326

November 19, 2019 7:33 pm  #2

Re: Torstar Closing StarMetro Newspapers Across Canada

I am going to assume the same vitriol that is attributed to Rogers and Bell when they cutback will be spanked to Torstar. The ONLY people that will suffer here are the homeless people of Cobourg that listen to their community station while they tuck in for a frigid night on the sidewalk.

November 19, 2019 7:35 pm  #3

Fagstein's posting, with a look at Montreal.

https://blog.fagstein.com/2019/11/19/starmetro-shuts-down/

Last edited by Media Observer (November 19, 2019 7:37 pm)

November 19, 2019 7:57 pm  #4

I personally think that these free rags killed newspapers, who needs a paper on the subway in the morning when you have a freebie that you occupy you as you try not to stare at people on the train in the morning on route to work...

Then you can just toss it too...because it's free, you have no skin in the game...

I won't miss it...

Now, if the local library was smart, they'd encourage people to get a book to read on the transit... a slogan could be... "From Rags to Richlers" come get a book out from the library...  (the author of some great Canadian books)...

Just saying... 

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

November 19, 2019 8:27 pm  #5

People can get news for free on their cell phones. Or they can play games, or text someone, or watch videos, They don't need to lug around a newspaper. The days of print media are fading quickly into the sunset.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 19, 2019 8:42 pm  #6

"Rags to Richlers"  Very good M-J.  I'm surprised you didn't start one of your patented discussion threads.

November 19, 2019 9:51 pm  #7

Dale Patterson wrote:

People can get news for free on their cell phones. Or they can play games, or text someone, or watch videos, They don't need to lug around a newspaper. The days of print media are fading quickly into the sunset.

I guess it is an age thing but I hate reading news on a cell phone. Headlines, weather ok but actual news stories can't get into it on a 4 inch screen. Same with advertising, not very effective on a cell phone.  The StarMetro papers were a nice handy size, I thought they were pretty good, last editions on December 20th.

November 19, 2019 9:54 pm  #8

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Now, if the local library was smart, they'd encourage people to get a book to read on the transit... a slogan could be... "From Rags to Richlers" come get a book out from the library...  (the author of some great Canadian books)...

Just saying... 

Muffaraw Joe..LOVE the slogan!

November 19, 2019 10:02 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

I guess it is an age thing but I hate reading news on a cell phone. Headlines, weather ok but actual news stories can't get into it on a 4 inch screen. Same with advertising, not very effective on a cell phone.  The StarMetro papers were a nice handy size, I thought they were pretty good, last editions on December 20th.

I was really just speaking in general. I don't even have a cell phone, and still read dead tree newspapers when I can.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 20, 2019 12:28 am  #10

Dale Patterson wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

I was really just speaking in general. I don't even have a cell phone, and still read dead tree newspapers when I can.

The free newspapers were still needed for the Toronto Subway system as a way to prove that you're not staring at people who hate to be stared at.
The phone is useless unless you have Freedom mobile. 
ALL other carriers have yet to agree to allow their service to be available in the subway system.

Select pockets are allowing wifi for all carriers but that's not enough. 

People shouldn't have to switch to Freedom Mobile just to replace a free newspaper.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 20, 2019 9:41 am  #11

It is increasingly becoming more difficult to even purchase a hard copy newspaper.  Newspaper boxes have been disappearing at an alarming rate. In my area, Avenue/Wilson, all the boxes have been removed. Even the auto/apartment search ones are gone. A variety  store two blocks away and a gas station six blocks away are now the only options. As a result, I went the subscription route. Call me old fashioned, but I like to read a newspaper that I can actually hold in my hands. And it doesn't cost me data when I am out of wi-fi range on my phone.