sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 18, 2019 10:46 pm  #1

CBC Warns Of Radio & TV Outages In Its Windsor Signals

The CBC is warning its over the air radio and TV station signals in Windsor may be unavailable at times this month, thanks to the installation of new towers and transmission lines.

I have to admit I've never heard of anything quite like this. You'd think that they might have made some sort of contingency plans or switch to back up facilities, but it would seem they don't have any! Which is definitely weird for the long established Canadian broadcaster. Their Internet streams will continue, although I'm not sure about Channel 9, which will run its 6 PM newscast online. 

Service interruptions possible as crews install new television antenna, transmission lines

November 19, 2019 9:08 am  #2

Re: CBC Warns Of Radio & TV Outages In Its Windsor Signals

When the new master FM antenna was installed a few years ago on the Peterborough tower, CBC announced there would be disruptions. And there were.

November 19, 2019 11:56 am  #3

No backup I guess. 

November 19, 2019 12:03 pm  #4

I find it very odd that the country's national (and well funded) public broadcaster seems to have no back-up transmitters. Lower power is better than no power at all. 

November 19, 2019 12:21 pm  #5

It is more of a case that crews cannot work safely around high RF fields, so the transmitters have to be such down or dropped in power.  ..and if they are replacing the feed line, there is no choice. So in this case, a backup to avoid signal loss would mean a different tower at a different location and that would not be feasibly economical.
As for on site backups, yes CBC has back up FM transmitters at most sites [if not all]. I would assume the same would be the case for TV?

November 19, 2019 1:00 pm  #6

andysradio wrote:

It is more of a case that crews cannot work safely around high RF fields, so the transmitters have to be such down or dropped in power.  ..and if they are replacing the feed line, there is no choice. So in this case, a backup to avoid signal loss would mean a different tower at a different location and that would not be feasibly economical.
As for on site backups, yes CBC has back up FM transmitters at most sites [if not all]. I would assume the same would be the case for TV?

Do they have backup in Toronto?

November 19, 2019 2:05 pm  #7

Given the importance of Toronto as HQ, I would strongly suspect so. Further the CN Tower and FCP must have backup.

November 19, 2019 11:02 pm  #8

CKOC has had dead air for at least a half hour .... WIMA Lima OH, WHBY Kimberley WI and WDEL Wilmington DE in its stead, thus far.