sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 11, 2019 4:15 pm  #1

The Don is Done- fired right after Remembrance Day Events

The Star reports that Don Cherry has in fact been fired...which begs the question, "now what"?  What will they replace him with or who? I liked Kipper (Nick Kypreos) and would not mind him coming back...

Here is more on the story...

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2019/11/11/don-cherry-fired-from-sportsnet-following-toxic-rant.html?fbclid=IwAR2YDe9bdXgKZVFS9U5qTaSzUV37rQ79vvln52M9xFf8cFiBleKv6P8mD9Y

Now even with this story happening, Don gave us a lot...he was a true Canadian and entertained us for years...he gave all he had to the sport, the business and to the audience. I will miss him, but like a lot of us on here, feel that his time has indeed come and maybe passed him by a little...

Thanks Don!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (November 11, 2019 4:51 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

November 11, 2019 4:21 pm  #2

Re: The Don is Done- fired right after Remembrance Day Events

As long as Bell/TSN doesn't pick him up, I'm happy.

November 11, 2019 4:52 pm  #3

Forward Power wrote:

As long as Bell/TSN doesn't pick him up, I'm happy.

What a perfect opportunity for the Cobourg community station to scoop him up and have him cohost the afternoon drive with the resident pinko. Paging: kevjo

November 11, 2019 5:00 pm  #4

I expect him to turn up on CKNT...

November 11, 2019 5:43 pm  #5

CKNT is in Mississauga where he lives... or Etobicoke? Or in some kids garage in between the 2, pumping out the news stories...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

November 11, 2019 7:55 pm  #6

Is Brian Burke the 'hair apparent'?

Last edited by betaylored (November 11, 2019 7:56 pm)

November 11, 2019 8:02 pm  #7

betaylored wrote:

Is Brian Burke the hair apparent?

He would be my choice.

Yeah,  he often wasn't media friendly when he was with a team;  but his segments on 590 since then are great.  You don't have to be a lifelong fan of the guy,  to appreciate the insights coming from his years dealing with the business and backrooms of the sport.

November 11, 2019 9:04 pm  #8

It's about time he was shown the door. I don't care how "colourful" he's been. He's always been a boor and a bigot. His endless attacks on the Swedes, the players form Quebec, Europe, Russia, etc. were disgusting 20 years ago just as his comments this weekend were. If I said anything remotely similar to what Cherry said, when I was at work, I'd have been shown the door immediately. What happened to Cherry is not 2019 political correctness. It's something that should have been done a long time ago.

November 11, 2019 9:49 pm  #9

He can establish a PR organization, then he will be back on air in no time.

November 11, 2019 11:17 pm  #10

Does Ontario News Now need anyone?

November 12, 2019 3:04 am  #11

Prod Guy wrote:

Smart thinking, but don't forget he could just as easily give a boost to the Rebel!!! 
Rebel view on Don Cherry:  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 12, 2019 9:20 am  #12

Can a wrongful dismissal suit be far away?

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

November 12, 2019 9:52 am  #13

Dale Patterson wrote:

Can a wrongful dismissal suit be far away?

Is Rogers required to pay Don the balance of his contract?  One other thing I noticed. That was a bizarre looking poppy pinned to his lapel.

November 12, 2019 10:41 am  #14

mace wrote:

One other thing I noticed. That was a bizarre looking poppy pinned to his lapel.

Maybe he's ahead of his time? lol
A fresh new look for the poppy is due just to prove that an individual person didn't simply save this year's poppy in a drawer to wear again next year...(or worse, god only knows how many years old a poppy worn might actually be!!)

Maybe for next year they should consider mass producing his unique poppy to wear?

*On second thought, yeah, what's up with that poppy? Did HE give any money for a poppy or did he just make his own and contribute NOTHING himself???

Last edited by Radiowiz (November 12, 2019 10:43 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

November 12, 2019 11:12 am  #15

Heard Cherry last night on newstalk 1010. he didn't sound upset at all. He actually came across like he was sort glad to be done with the coach's corner schtick. He said he was referring to all canadians and not just immigrants. To his defense (and I am not a real Cherry fan) but he does tend to use the "you people" "you guys" phrase a lot in his ramblings. His time was up and his act was had gotten stale a long time ago. 

Just my opinion, but i am not sure he was actually as happy at Rogers. Remember early on when they cut 90 seconds from his segment and he was complaining about being rushed all the time. I think they gave him the time back eventually.

And i am a little curious about the Joe Warmington aspect of all of this. Remember right before the season this year, it was Joe Warmington who started the rumour of Don not returning to HNIC because of Rogers cut backs and wanting to get rid of high priced talent.  Well depending on how this plays out and if Cherry challenges anything, Rogers just got rid of a big expense.  Cherry supposedly was making over 1 million a year for his little rants on Saturday night.

November 12, 2019 11:20 am  #16

Radiowiz wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

Smart thinking, but don't forget he could just as easily give a boost to the Rebel!!! 
Rebel view on Don Cherry:  

It was pointed out by a Veteran on TV today that while Don was ranting about the Legion Poppy, he was wearing one that is evidently of his own design and not a Legion Poppy.    The video attests to at least the fact that he wasn't wearing a Legion Poppy.   Don't know where he got his from.

November 13, 2019 12:56 am  #17

paterson1 wrote:

And i am a little curious about the Joe Warmington aspect of all of this. Remember right before the season this year, it was Joe Warmington who started the rumour of Don not returning to HNIC because of Rogers cut backs and wanting to get rid of high priced talent.

I thought Steve Simmons wrote he wasn't coming back, and Warmington got Cherry to confirm he was.  Not that I'm a fan of Warmington.

November 13, 2019 7:25 am  #18

Don might take up a later show. Being Frank could use him. Wonder if Don can sing?

November 13, 2019 6:04 pm  #19

November 13, 2019 8:13 pm  #20

Fascists to right of them,
Fascists to left of them,
Fascists in front of them,
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell,
Rode the six hundred.

(with apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)