sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 4, 2019 10:28 pm  #1

I had a Romper Room Moment on Jazz FM today, it was quite wild & cool

So, I don't write this for well wishes, but to share an outstanding moment in radio today...

I love listening to Jazz FM, if I am having a "Work from Home" day...and today was a work from home day, it was also my birthday...

At about 11:50 am, Heather Bambrick host of mid-day Jazz gives birthday shout outs to people in Jazz, Jane Monheit, Gregory Porter and a famous photographer, (I can't remember who it was) and then she mentions me...and gives a really nice shout in honour of my birthday I nearly fainted...

Yes, we are friends on Facebook and we've met several times and we hug each other when we meet and there is a nice connection, she is a fabulous performer, singer, radio personality and then gives this shout out...totally unexpected and a bit surreal.

I had to clean out my ears to make sure I heard this right...and I wasn't making this up. 

Has something like this ever happened to you?

Kudo's to Heather, I am a long time perpetual donor and friend, this is a nice way to keep listeners listening I'd say!

Share a neat moment in radio where something like this has happened to you.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

November 4, 2019 10:38 pm  #2

Re: I had a Romper Room Moment on Jazz FM today, it was quite wild & cool

I know of one instance like that, but it was so bizarre, it was a one-in-a-million coincidence that I even heard it. I was DXing one night and turned on WJR in Detroit, which had the Tigers game on, featuring Ernie Harwell. I just happened to be passing by at the exact second when he wished my uncle, who lived in the Motor City, a happy birthday from someone else.  

My now late uncle didn't know Harwell or have any connection whatsoever to baseball, so how this made its way up to the broadcast booth from one of his friends remains a mystery. The odds that I would hear it so many hundreds of miles away at the exact time it was said is simply mind boggling.

And to make this story even more strange, my uncle had no idea it even happened, until the next time I talked to him and told him about it.

November 4, 2019 11:26 pm  #3

Well Happy Birthday Muffaraw Joe  and all the best! Always enjoy when you pose these scenarios to us.. 

I was having a nothing almost blue day, when I was across the street from the station getting a coffee. The Alps Restaurant in Owen Sound always had CFOS on and I was half listening to the talk show waiting to pay for my coffee.

Nobody was around me and I was waiting for the waitress to come and ring in the coffee. The listener on air  was finishing up with the host and whatever they were talking about. All of a sudden the caller said how much she enjoyed my afternoon show, said my name and mentioned that she thought I was very entertaining and funny. I am staring at the radio, what?  And then the host chimes in and says something to the effect that when Paterson is on his game, that is great radio, but I wouldn't tell him that very often since it would go to his head. They both laughed and again the caller commented on my show. 

Anyway, a moment totally unexpected and much appreciated. Made my day, and the host told me he didn't think this caller had ever been on before, at least she was not a familiar voice to him.  We kept phone records of calls, but unfortunately the screener had made a mistake writing down the number and I wasn't able to call back and thank the listener.

November 5, 2019 8:44 am  #4

When I was young [7 or 8 years old] at lunch I would listen to a show on CBC [could be CBL or CJBC] called Small Fry Follics. Byng Whittaker was the host and at one point during the show he would mention names of children celebrating a birthday. Boy was I shocked when I heard my name and told to look behind the brown chesterfield in the living room for something special. How could this voice on the radio know what colour our furniture was. Lo and behold, there was indeed a present behind the couch! Couldn't figure out how the radio voice knew that as well. The other thing I will remember about that show is when it ended at 1pm, the host would always say Ssssscooot! Out to play, Back to bed, Off to school, or whatever mother tells you.

November 5, 2019 1:10 pm  #5

Happy Birthday Joe!

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 6, 2019 10:50 pm  #6

Thanks Leslieville, RA, Paterson and Mace...I love this board and contributing to it!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...