sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 25, 2019 5:15 pm  #1

Twas the week before some radio stations go all in on Christmas

It's been a beautiful October and it sure doesn't feel like Christmas yet...however, next Friday on November 1st, if you walk into your neighbourhood "Buckies" for a coffee, you will notice the holiday decorations being strung up and presented...oh how soon they forget ya October!!!

But radio stations will get into the act too...even Sirius is launching the Holiday Music Channels next week...CHFI can't be far behind either...

Here is what Sirius is up too...for gosh sakes, it is too early, I mean heck the baseball season isn't over yet...and we are being plunged into Christmas!!!

https://www.siriusxm.ca/holiday-music-channels/

So, what says you Big Yella? 

When should stations begin to play the Jingle Bell Rock? 

Here is a poll...or should I say a North Poll... (ho, ho, ho)

When should radio stations go all in on Christmas music

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 25, 2019 6:06 pm  #2

Re: Twas the week before some radio stations go all in on Christmas

Ever feel like life is a very broken record?

October 25, 2019 6:37 pm  #3

There's no universal 'right' time; only what works for each individual outlet.

October 25, 2019 7:52 pm  #4

RadioAaron wrote:

There's no universal 'right' time; only what works for each individual outlet.

Let's save a little time. Each year more than a few posters here will slam the thought of hearing all Christmas music; others will comment that they do it because it's very successful for the stations that do it. They wouldn't do it every year if it didn't work. Next comes, if you don't like it tune elsewhere. As for CHFI, the last several years their practice has been to start all Christmas the day of the Toronto parade and this year will likely be no different. now, can we move on? Nothing new to see here.

October 25, 2019 8:16 pm  #5

kevjo wrote:

now, can we move on? Nothing new to see here.

If posters here had the capacity to "move on", there would be absolutely no "new" posts ever again.

October 25, 2019 8:27 pm  #6

TheConsultant wrote:

kevjo wrote:

now, can we move on? Nothing new to see here.

If posters here had the capacity to "move on", there would be absolutely no "new" posts ever again.

I like this new account.

October 25, 2019 9:19 pm  #7

To TheConsultant: That was a cheap shot.

October 27, 2019 8:42 am  #8

Exactly..not an issue . Whatever works for them.
You don't like it , it is as easy as changing stations. Besides, as I have said before there are 24/7 Christmas stations cranking out the stuff 365 days a year on the web!!

October 28, 2019 9:17 am  #9

fyshtalk wrote:

You don't like it , it is as easy as changing stations. Besides, as I have said before there are 24/7 Christmas stations cranking out the stuff 365 days a year on the web!!

That is fine when one is at home or travelling in their car. What about those working in an office or store? No escape from 98.1 or 102.9 for them.

October 28, 2019 5:24 pm  #10

mace wrote:

fyshtalk wrote:

That is fine when one is at home or travelling in their car. What about those working in an office or store? No escape from 98.1 or 102.9 for them.

That's really more of an issue with their employer than with the radio station.

October 28, 2019 5:51 pm  #11

@ RadioAaron: you bring up a point.  Personally, I don't like music in my work environment, Christmas or otherwise, but I never have a say.  Co-workers simply turn on a radio and I must like it or lump it ... and it's a given that I will just lump it and not say anything when that f***ing "Hello" by Adele is played for the 4th time!  When  I work a  12-hour shifts, it's even more often.  If you like a music-free environment, you're SOL. (Not to mention the incredibly high rotation of irritating commercials!!)

October 28, 2019 6:37 pm  #12

What potentiometer said goes for me too

October 28, 2019 7:00 pm  #13

potentiometer wrote:

@ RadioAaron: you bring up a point.  Personally, I don't like music in my work environment, Christmas or otherwise, but I never have a say.  Co-workers simply turn on a radio and I must like it or lump it ... and it's a given that I will just lump it and not say anything when that f***ing "Hello" by Adele is played for the 4th time!  When  I work a  12-hour shifts, it's even more often.  If you like a music-free environment, you're SOL. (Not to mention the incredibly high rotation of irritating commercials!!)

I hear ya! Even working *in* radio, I've had to listen to a station where I personally didn't like the music upwards of 12 hours a day. One pre-radio job where a station I didn't like was played every night, I at least got to wear headphones.

Still not a radio issue though, as they'll never program to someone listening to a station they wouldn't turn on in the first place if they had a choice for 12 hours at a time.

October 29, 2019 8:54 am  #14

I work in a small indepedent grocery store where music is available. The owner doesn't really care as long as customers are attended to in a timely manner. There is an automated system that is piped through the store. However, the volume is low enough that you barely notice it. The butchers have a radio in their area tuned to either BOOM or JAZZFM. The people processing produce like 98.1. I work alone at the seafood counter and mostly listen to internet radio on my phone. The volume in all work areas is kept at a discreet level and all employees in those areas seem happy with the station choices. Personally, I am not a fan of the 24/7 "Holiday Hits" format and am indeed fortunate that I am able to avoid it every year. However, I must be in the minority because the stations that flip to that format every November/December are rewarded with a massive increase of new listeners.

November 1, 2019 5:11 pm  #15

In Canada, stations here usually don't let the Yule rule until after either Remembrance Day or, in Toronto, following the the Santa Claus Parade. They don't have either one of those in the U.S., and so, on the day after Halloween, a number of outlets have already begun to deck the halls. And they haven't even celebrated Thanksgiving down south yet. 

Cincinnati radio station cranks up holiday tunes day after Halloween

Christmas music returns to Detroit radio waves Friday

Madison radio station switches to playing all holiday tunes for season

Green Bay radio station switches to all Christmas music the day after Halloween

November 1, 2019 5:46 pm  #16

Judging by the comments, most listeners are not too thrilled about the early switch to 24/7 Holiday Hits.

November 7, 2019 6:36 pm  #17

This list of the most popular Christmas songs on radio is from the U.S., but I doubt there's a lot of real differences here. 

What Are The Most Popular Christmas Songs?

November 7, 2019 7:26 pm  #18

November 7, 2019 7:32 pm  #19

Song number 21. Jingle Bell Rock by Hall & "Oatest"? Forgive me or noticing, but once a proofreader, always a proofreader.

November 7, 2019 7:45 pm  #20

He's sold more records than Elvis and the Beatles combined...

Last edited by Chrisphen (November 7, 2019 7:47 pm)

November 7, 2019 11:27 pm  #21

It is interesting how many stations get a big bump in ratings when they go all Christmas Music. CHFI is a great example of this, but it is common in many other markets as well. 

The top 50 songs is about right. Total playlist for Christmas music would be much larger though, with album cuts and of course some good Christmas cancon.  What is kind of nice is that you can play a lot of artists and groups that normally don't receive airplay.  Other than the Christmas "hits" most people don't really care if Silent Night is sung by Anne Murray or Ray Coniff and the gang.

November 8, 2019 9:27 am  #22

Looking at that list, only 10 of the 50 songs were recorded after 1990. That tells me people only want to hear the traditional original recordings of Christmas songs. Obviously, that won't work with a 24/7 format. I don't want to listen to 27 different versions of Holly Jolly Christmas. For me, it's Burl Ives or nothing. I do like Christmas music BUT in small doses. Two or three songs an hour, maximum! There is nothing that will turn me into a Scrooge faster than being subjected to 24/7 "Holiday" Hits.

November 8, 2019 10:49 am  #23

I agree Mace, I can't normally listen to more than an hour of Christmas music on the radio, and that needs to be right at Christmas time. Playing Christmas tunes 4,5 weeks ahead 24 hours a day ain't my thing. But many people do love 24/7 Christmas music on the radio. There is usually only a few stations even in large markets that go this far however.

And lists like the top 50 are not really a good indicator of what is played on the radio. These are the Christmas "hits" that stations will put into the mix but there are many more than just the 50 listed.

Stations like CHFI do a great job with their Christmas playlist and they do play a lot of current artists that have recorded Christmas songs. Most however are remakes with not a lot of new original songs coming on stream every year. Also the list doesn't reflect many of the comedy or novelty Christmas songs which are dusted off every year. And of course the many cancon Christmas hits that have been recorded over the years. 

AM 740 doesn't go all in Christmas but they do play a very interesting mix leading up to t0 the holiday, as does any of the Jewel stations.

Wonder who will be the first to play Johnny Bower and the Rinky Dinks, with Honky the Christmas Goose. It was a big hit on CHUM around 1964!!  Maybe CHUM was the only station that played it??

November 8, 2019 11:23 am  #24

Chrisphen wrote:

He's sold more records than Elvis and the Beatles combined...

this pic was taken just before  chris hansen walked into the room with a camera crew.

November 8, 2019 11:27 am  #25

Honestly, at first I thought it was Bert Reynolds!

November 8, 2019 11:30 am  #26

with all this christmas music talk i have a cravin' to hear me some stompin' tom singin' about the marketplace.

November 12, 2019 9:29 am  #27

Here's a fresh take on this topic - a British radio station that openly promotes it WON'T be playing any Christmas tunes this year. 

“We think everybody will get sick of Jingle Bells, Slade, and worn out Christmas nonsense when they’re in the shops. And they really don’t need commercial radio stations ramming the festive season down their throat as well."

UK radio station bans Christmas songs

November 12, 2019 9:39 am  #28

RadioActive wrote:

Here's a fresh take on this topic - a British radio station that openly promotes it WON'T be playing any Christmas tunes this year. 

“We think everybody will get sick of Jingle Bells, Slade, and worn out Christmas nonsense when they’re in the shops. And they really don’t need commercial radio stations ramming the festive season down their throat as well."

UK radio station bans Christmas songs

I like the way this station thinks!

November 17, 2019 1:20 pm  #29

CHFI didn't even wait for Eaton's Santa to cross the merry threshold. They went Christmas @ noon. <click>

November 17, 2019 4:25 pm  #30

TheConsultant wrote:

CHFI didn't even wait for Eaton's Santa to cross the merry threshold. They went Christmas @ noon. <click>

Watching daily ratings over the last decade, you see more ON clicks than OFF clicks when this starts, but I've always been weary, in markets with so many similarly formatted stations, that those OFF clicks could be lasting. How many tepid CHFI listeners discover that CHUM 104.5 or Boom 97.3 sure are appealing these days?