sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2019 8:52 pm  #1

Are Changes Coming To Simsub This Week?

I'm not sure exactly what this means, because it doesn't really say very much. But in its weekly preview of what the CRTC will be up to in the coming week, is this very short sentence:

Broadcasting Regulatory Policy:
"Amendments to the Simultaneous Programming Service Deletion and Substitution Regulations"

There are no other details about what those amendments are, and I'm have a suspicion they won't amount to much. But does anyone here know what they're planning to announce?

October 6, 2019 7:51 am  #2

Re: Are Changes Coming To Simsub This Week?

Superbowl simsub rules perhaps?

October 7, 2019 11:31 am  #3

Well, that was disappointing. I guessed this wouldn't amount to much and that proved all too true.

The big "change" is that the CRTC granted Bell Media's request that CTV Two Alberta be given the same simsub privileges as CTV Two Atlantic. That's it. 

I keep hoping that one day they'll ease the restrictions on this protectionist measure. They almost certainly won't, although there's every reason to think that TV over the Internet will eventually make this whole thing outdated and unnecessary. 

CRTC Decision (such as it is) 

October 8, 2019 7:55 am  #4

This decision is the edge of the wedge that will allow the main networks to continue requesting simsub after they turn off over their over the air transmitters in many parts of the country.

Until now a broadcaster must have an over the air signal to request simsub, that's why the cable sports networks can't cover off US network signals when they carry the same sporting events. 

CTV and Global have applied to shut down dozens of transmitters (mostly rebroadcasters of base stations). Under current rules they would lose simsub rights in many heavily populated areas. This decision paves the way for unlimited substitution IMHO.

Watch for similar 'amendment' requests coming soon to a CRTC near you. 

October 8, 2019 8:11 am  #5

If what Zed says is true, I will have to keep my U.S. timeshifting subscription. I also recently purchased a VPN. It works extremely well.