sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 23, 2019 10:16 am  #1

Whatever Happened To The New Fall TV Season?

What’s happening on TV this week used to be a big deal.

Monday marks the launch of the Fall season, with new shows being launched and old favourites coming back with new episodes.

And this year, you’d barely notice it.  

The old style OTA networks are still airing promos, although I haven’t seen as many as in years past. And I think there are actually fewer new shows launching this season than in any other I can remember.

The days of the engorged Fall Preview issue of TV Guide, their biggest selling edition of the year, are gone (although it’s still around in a different form, but only for sale in the U.S.) And even the Star Week, which used to do its own fall look-ahead hasn’t had anything similar in several seasons and barely mentioned anything new in its printed guide that came with the paper on Saturday.

You can blame streaming, cable networks and a tendency to no longer schedule everything to debut at the same time, the way it used to be.

This is probably for the best, I suppose. Never has there been so much choice and so many good shows available at the same time. It’s called “Peak TV” and there’s simply no way to see everything.

But as we set sail on yet another season, I can’t help but feel a twinge of nostalgia for the Fall Season that was. Even if most of the shows that started the year rarely finished it.

September 23, 2019 10:41 am  #2

Re: Whatever Happened To The New Fall TV Season?

It appears they wont need a new transmitter or antenna from the applications. ?

September 23, 2019 4:32 pm  #3

Re: Whatever Happened To The New Fall TV Season?

For the 2019-20 season, FOX has 10 new series, NBC and ABC 9 each, CBS 8 and the CW 3. As RA pointed out, many of these series are premiering this week. Others are being held back until January, to replace the series that are rejected by viewers.