sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 18, 2019 7:47 pm  #1

Photo from 2001 shows Justin Trudeau in Brownface

Last edited by cash (September 18, 2019 7:48 pm)

September 18, 2019 7:58 pm  #2

Re: Photo from 2001 shows Justin Trudeau in Brownface

Normally, I'd say this doesn't have anything to do with SOWNY. But CFRB has turned its entire Nightside show over to this topic. I imagine 640 will go wall-to-wall with it, too.

And you can only imagine what's coming on Thursday's talk shows.  

It's an important story, because it could effect what happens on October 21st. 

Everyone wondered what the unknown event would be that threw a nuclear bomb into the looming election (there's always at least one!) This could well be it because it's so damaging to his brand. 

Can't wait to see how the CBC handles it!

September 18, 2019 8:06 pm  #3

Bit of a bombshell. Looks like most news media is on this, including CBC.ca. Sounds like Trudeau might speak on this tonight. It is on both CTV and CBC news networks right now as breaking news. The photo was taken from a yearbook at the school he was teaching at in BC in 2001. Time magazine broke the story.

September 18, 2019 8:11 pm  #4

So...he was in his 20's...you do stupid shit like this, when you're that age...

Move on folks, nothing to see...and once again Political correctness rears it's ugly head...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 18, 2019 8:14 pm  #5

This is what the Russians do, right? If this is what we're going to talk about on a radio board, I think I'll find something else to do with my time.

September 18, 2019 8:18 pm  #6

as Bart Simpson would say "the ironing in delicious" ...

And just this afternoon, Aarti Pole was joined on CBC News Network with an election panel of party fart catchers...  Of note, the Liberal flak was calling out Maxime Bernier for being "a bully, a bigot, and for being racist". 

My, my, my...

Looks like the genie is out of the bottle...

Last edited by Glen Warren (September 18, 2019 8:23 pm)

September 18, 2019 8:19 pm  #7

Fox News picked it up. CNN did not. 

September 18, 2019 8:23 pm  #8

CNN has it as breaking news on their website..How could he not think that this wouldn't surface if it was in the highschool yearbook, and he was a teacher.  He also admitted wearing blackface in highschool as a teen. Surprised that this didn't come out a long time ago, He is getting a grilling..

September 18, 2019 8:33 pm  #9

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Move on folks, nothing to see...and once again Political correctness rears it's ugly head...

You know Joe, you might be right, except that his party came out with a photo of a Conservative candidate having lunch or a drink with Faith Goldy 20 years ago - long before the latter expressed her own racist views - and condemned said candidate as a racist because of it. Hard to make that case before someone actually did or said anything. 

It would seem they're being hoist by their own petard in the worst way possible.  

That said, I agree with the unfortunately departed Mr. Marshall - this doesn't really belong on this board beyond how it's being covered on radio and TV. But even the most staunch Liberal supporter has to admit this just drips with self-righteous irony, considering what's been going on for the past week or so. 

Whatever side you're on, the coverage, commentary and callers on radio has just been riveting so far.  You can be sure there will be much, much more to come.

September 18, 2019 8:41 pm  #10

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Andrew Scheer was even younger when that clip about homosexuality was recorded. The Liberal Party were responsible for that video becoming a talking point last month. This is karma.

The Liberals better hope there aren't any (other) women Justin groped who feel chatty this fall. Or at the very least, they better hope he's paying them to be quiet. 

Last edited by Retaw (September 18, 2019 8:41 pm)

September 18, 2019 8:48 pm  #11

mike marshall wrote:

This is what the Russians do, right? If this is what we're going to talk about on a radio board, I think I'll find something else to do with my time.

A breaking news story on every news outlet and you expect to talk about what? The summer radio ratings?

September 18, 2019 8:53 pm  #12

CTV news had a good observation from Scott Reid. He said the real campaign just got started today..

September 18, 2019 9:34 pm  #13

I received a CNN Breaking News email at 8:41 pm about this.

During the last five minutes of Anderson Cooper's show,  Chris Cuomo commented on the story before his own show began; (said it was "many years ago").

September 18, 2019 10:05 pm  #14

For what it's worth, this is the most read/viewed story on the Fox news website and they have a video of the Breaking News Report. Oddly they haven't allowed any comments as yet. CBC.ca is exploding with about 6,500 comments in less than three hours. Needless to say not many comments supporting the PM right now.

Don Lemon is speaking about this right now on CNN. 

September 18, 2019 10:16 pm  #15

mike marshall wrote:

I am truly sorry to see Mike leave. I hope he will reconsider.

Far more respect for Mike & his resume/accomplishments than you know who

September 18, 2019 11:16 pm  #16

I agree with you Unc. He had much to contribute here and I hope he reconsiders. I would welcome him back anytime he wants to return.

I thought it was interesting that Charles Adler had Supriya Dwiveti on to comment on the story, introducing her as co-host on the GNR morning show in Toronto. Frankly, she's been on mat leave so long, I'd forgotten she was even on the show!

Another observation from the radio reaction: I've heard a lot of Trudeau supporters twisting themselves into pretzels trying to make excuses for the Liberal leader. But what really stood out is that most of the people who identified themselves as black seemed to think it wasn't racist, while a lot of callers who said they were white did. Certainly not what I expected to hear.

One last thing. All the papers were leading with this story on their websites Wednesday night, as you'd expect. The Globe & Mail, the Toronto Sun and the National Post all featured the photo on the front page. The Toronto Star led with the story as well, but their front page pic was of Trudeau on his campaign plane - and the troubling photo wasn't seen unless you clicked through to the actual article.

In keeping with the board's media mandate, I found it interesting the way many of the major publications have chosen to cover this big story.

September 19, 2019 6:38 am  #17

He's also groping the woman in front of him in the photo.

This would have happened about a year after the "Kootenay Grope."

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 19, 2019 8:46 am  #18

Amazing how fast this story is moving on the media. Global has now obtained yet a third verified instance of the same thing. Despite having the Global News logo plastered all over it, other stations - like CFRB - have put it up on their own pages.

Global News: Exclusive: Video shows Trudeau in blackface in 3rd instance of racist makeup

I remember a time when exclusives used to be exclusives. Now it seems you can just take whatever you want off the web, provide a small credit, and benefit from it. I'm not entirely sure when all this changed, but at some point it appears nothing belongs to anyone for long any more in the news biz. 

September 19, 2019 10:16 am  #19

Yes all of the news networks (CBC,CTV,CP24) are showing the Global video. They are giving verbal and visual credit to Global. I wonder if networks share "exclusive" stories since they realize it is in their best interest since the competition will eventually have a exclusive of their own. I guess as well when the video gets on the net it is pretty much public domain. 

September 19, 2019 10:45 am  #20

I've always wondered how much of this stuff would make the 6 pm or 11 pm line-up back in the days before 24-hour news channels.  

September 19, 2019 12:08 pm  #21

press conference at 2:15 ET

anyone placing bets?  Take a shot every time he apologizes?

September 19, 2019 1:35 pm  #22

September 19, 2019 1:35 pm  #23

September 19, 2019 2:02 pm  #24

racist - NOUN

• A person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

Is the pic really racist?  Was the intent to mock\disrespect or dress in character?   Would insensitive be a more accurate description?

Many things of yesteryear are deemed cringe worthy when viewed with today's lens.  And things done today will surely look cringe worthy in years to come.

Too many today seem to relish "being offended".

September 19, 2019 2:49 pm  #25

g121 wrote:

Is the pic really racist?  Was the intent to mock\disrespect or dress in character?   Would insensitive be a more accurate description?

Many things of yesteryear are deemed cringe worthy when viewed with today's lens.  And things done today will surely look cringe worthy in years to come.

Too many today seem to relish "being offended". 

Indeed. Seems like the very people who often decry "politically correct" behaviour are the very ones now in full battle cry mode. Ain't elections fun? 

September 19, 2019 5:06 pm  #26

The Big Red Tent is now the Big White Tent, with eyeholes.

The good news for Trudeau is that it will help with the racist vote, and those who think groping women is a good thing.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 19, 2019 5:41 pm  #27

Hey it was a "Group Photo" err..."Grope Photo"!!!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 19, 2019 6:00 pm  #28

agreed that people who jump up and down about political correctness have suddenly changed their tune for this one. Just saw a write up at CBC.ca and this final passage sums it up well:

"When the dust settles, I think the real question for Canadians is, 'Do you think Justin Trudeau is a racist?' And if people are being honest with themselves, the answer is, 'No.'" While it may be a factor for some Canadians on voting day, Smith said she doubts it will be a key ballot issue.

Last edited by Fitz (September 19, 2019 6:00 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

September 19, 2019 6:31 pm  #29

Dale Patterson wrote:

The Big Red Tent is now the Big White Tent, with eyeholes.

The good news for Trudeau is that it will help with the racist vote, and those who think groping women is a good thing.

Absolute rubbish comment.

Maybe this forum should be one of the few Politics-Free zones as I'd like to keep liking & respecting you guys.

September 19, 2019 6:38 pm  #30

Is Trudeau racist? I don't think so, and Andrew Scheer is not either. Trudeau does display very bad judgement, especially the first photo from the private school in BC. He was 29, a teacher and should have known better. Also the school, West Point Grey Academy should have known better. 

Trudeau and the liberals it can be argued are hypocrites. They have been trying very hard to portray the conservatives as intolerant and even bigoted. The conservatives for their part should not gloat or oversell this development or it could backfire on them. Jagmeet Singh has shown grace in his news conferences, has done an excellent job humanizing the story and I really liked the way that he reminded immigrants and people of colour that Canada is a good country, and this does not represent who we are.   His profile overnight has gone way up.

The news conference this afternoon was riveting, even more revealing than the conference last night on the plane. Asking the public for forgiveness is not something you see very often from a prime minister or president. His answer that he wasn't sure if any other incidents would surface was strange.  Are the apologies and admission of guilt enough? We will know on Oct 21st.

The radio and TV coverage that I have seen and listened to has been solid, and so far opinion and editorializing has been overall fair and restrained. Evan Solomon and his panelists this afternoon were excellent on Newstalk 1010 before and after the news conference. One caller on 640 felt that Oakley was biased against the liberals, as usual Mr. Oakley challenged the caller, inserted his humour, but he did let her speak.

The next few weeks and upcoming debates will be fascinating. Last federal election had a voter turnout of almost 69%. With the developments over the last two days; turnout in October should be high, which for any democracy and country is a good thing.