sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 15, 2019 12:16 pm  #1

Super Channel Sues Best Buy, Staples & More Over Android Box Piracy

This is a very interesting story - a Canadian pay TV giant is going after four companies for allegedly selling devices that allow consumers to access shows without paying for them. While they won't specifically cite which "devices" they are, it's pretty clear they're the ubiquitous Android boxes found in thousands of Canadian homes.

The suit contends sales clerks knowingly and willingly encourage copyright infringement in answering would-be buyers' questions about the boxes before they make a purchase. And Super Channel claims to have undercover video as proof. 

It's all detailed in the story below, but there's one other ominous warning hinted at in it - the plaintiff is hoping to eventually be able to get the names of everyone who bought one of these things, possibly to seek legal reparations. So if you own one, this might be a case to keep your eye on.

"Also listed as defendants in the lawsuit are customers who bought the "pirate devices" and received accompanying advice in store. They're currently listed as "John Doe customers" because Super Channel doesn't have their names, although it plans to pursue this information."  

Best Buy, Staples accused of 'urging' customers to pirate TV shows with devices sold in stores   

September 15, 2019 3:37 pm  #2

Re: Super Channel Sues Best Buy, Staples & More Over Android Box Piracy

Is the product illegal? Super Channel is so bad. 

September 15, 2019 3:44 pm  #3

cash wrote:

Is the product illegal? 

That's actually a good question. I'm not sure. They're obviously for sale in reputable places, so the answer, at first blush, would appear to be no.

Rocks aren't illegal either. But if you throw one into a store window so you can steal the display, that's against the law. It's not the rock, it's what you did with it. Maybe that's the principle that's in question here. It's not the box, it's what you access through it.

This should be a fascinating case to watch, if it ever gets to court. 

September 15, 2019 7:39 pm  #4

Allarco has the money to burn on surefire loss lawsuits like this?

September 15, 2019 11:15 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

cash wrote:

Is the product illegal? 

That's actually a good question. I'm not sure. They're obviously for sale in reputable places, so the answer, at first blush, would appear to be no.

Rocks aren't illegal either. But if you throw one into a store window so you can steal the display, that's against the law. It's not the rock, it's what you did with it. Maybe that's the principle that's in question here. It's not the box, it's what you access through it.

This should be a fascinating case to watch, if it ever gets to court. 

I thought streaming was legal but downloading was not. 

September 16, 2019 12:06 am  #6

I'm no lawyer (and I don't play one on TV) but I don't think watching copyright material without paying the creators or distributors for it is legal - no matter how you receive it. But I certainly remain to be corrected by those more in the know.

September 16, 2019 1:42 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I'm no lawyer (and I don't play one on TV) but I don't think watching copyright material without paying the creators or distributors for it is legal - no matter how you receive it. But I certainly remain to be corrected by those more in the know.

IPTV is not illegal in Canada. It's a gray area. 
Streaming is legal.  
Don't like that? Then Shut down your stream and go back to the way you made money in the 80's. 
(not literally!! What I mean is force a method where Super Channel can only be seen on a Rogers Nextbox exclusively, or something-including a bell box of some sort...etc)

There's gotta be a way to do that. How did pay TV get into the home before the days of the internet? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 16, 2019 4:22 am  #8

Reminiscent of the days of the home VCR?  

from Fortune Magazine...

But before the wave of dollars, the Hollywood studios tried to block the VCR in court via the case of Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios. In one of the most important decisions for the future of entertainment, the Supreme Court ruled in 1984 that consumers had a right to tape copyrighted broadcasts for their own use and that companies that made the devices could not be held liable for possible infringements. Known as the Betamax decision, the ruling became the precedent that allowed all kinds of technologies to flourish.

granted, this was a US case, based on US law...

https://fortune.com/2016/07/21/last-video-cassette-recorder-maker/

September 16, 2019 5:43 am  #9

Soooo, they want my name because I bought Nvidia shields for my dumb TV's so I can stream Netflix and Amazon and DAZN and CBC Gem?  Idiots.

September 16, 2019 3:09 pm  #10

You can stream content from a laptop also. I guess they will be trying to stop the sale of laptops next. 

September 16, 2019 4:13 pm  #11

pinto wrote:

Soooo, they want my name because I bought Nvidia shields for my dumb TV's so I can stream Netflix and Amazon and DAZN and CBC Gem?  Idiots.

And therein lies the crux of the case and why Super Channel may have trouble getting customer names. You CAN watch unpaid-for copyrighted material through the box. But maybe you're using it for what Pinto is doing, streaming a perfectly legal service like Netflix. It may be tough for the company to prove to a judge beyond any doubt that every single owner is using it to watch material they haven't paid for. 

And you can imagine how impossible it would be to take on each person individually. 

I can see where they could potentially win a case against Staples, Best Buy et. al. (and even that's not a given.) But to get YOUR name is going to take a lot more than just suspicion. Right now, to my mind, that's all they have.  

September 16, 2019 6:25 pm  #12

Unsubscribed 'copyrighted' material - it's all over your computers, phones and tablets. For example, you click on a story on torontostar.com, but as a non-subscriber, the Star's blocking page pops up. Guess what? It's now all on your device.

If you're a non-subscriber, try this one - https://www.thestar.com/politics/provincial/2019/09/16/grade-12-student-cant-get-into-the-physics-and-calculus-courses-he-needs-for-university-because-of-teacher-cutbacks.html

Even though The Star will block your ability to read it, they've already 'fully downloaded' the story onto your device. Yes, dear friends and gentle people, they're actually occupying space on your device, but then have the temerity to deny you access to an area of YOUR device. How dare they? If they wish to protect their copyrighted material, keep it the hell off my device.

So, I read it anyway.  Just as when they throw an unsolicited newspaper on my front porch, I'll likely read it; well, the same with computers. Download it to my device, I'm damn well going to read it, subscribed or not.

September 17, 2019 6:17 pm  #13

Super Channel are getting people talking about them...for the first time ever.

I personally don't see them having a chance in hell of getting anywhere with this lawsuit.  Best Buy has some pretty deep pockets as well, and there is nothing illegal about selling them.  They claim to have video of a salesperson telling a customer how to manipulate the box.  Is that legal without the consent of the Best Buy or the Sales Person?

I own an Nvidea Shield I bought at Best Buy.  I use it for my Bell Fibe App, Netflix, Prime and Crave.  Nothing illegal here.  So don't assume that's what all people do with a streaming device.  Those people buy cheap boxes off of Amazon and Ebay.  Maybe that's who they should go after.

September 18, 2019 5:05 pm  #14

frostycold wrote:

I personally don't see them having a chance in hell of getting anywhere with this lawsuit.  Best Buy has some pretty deep pockets as well

Best Buy is actually closing some stores.
The North York centre store is now closed. I'm not aware of other locations.
Their "Deep pocket" is also tied up in recent renovations to their existing stores, so I hope you're still right after BB went on a renovation spree not long ago...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.