sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 6, 2019 3:47 pm  #1

After 43 years, Roger Christian is out at Buffalo's Star 102.5

He'd been there since it was Rock 102.

After 43 years, Roger Christian is out at Star 102.5

September 6, 2019 8:21 pm  #2

Re: After 43 years, Roger Christian is out at Buffalo's Star 102.5

Christian had one of the longest runs I can recall for a radio personality in the Buffalo market at one station. Ramblin' Lou Schriver spent 45 years at one station - WXRL - from 1970 to 2015 as owner and program host. Clint Buehlman was at WBEN-AM for 35 years (1943-1977), one of only four people to do the morning show at the station named after the Buffalo Evening News in the 20th century*. I'm sure others will come to me as I think about it some more.

*The others were Jack Parr, Jeff Kaye and Bill Lacy.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 6, 2019 8:55 pm  #3

Did he leave of his own accord?  I recall him not only doing middays on Majic 102, Q102 and Star 102.5, but he also did morning cut-ins between Stereo Rock music sets at least as far back as 1980, if not longer.

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 7, 2019 9:18 am  #4

Unless the intent is to hire a younger sounding vt, they should have kept Roger around and gotten him to do several stations on VT...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 7, 2019 9:32 am  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

Unless the intent is to hire a younger sounding vt, they should have kept Roger around and gotten him to do several stations on VT...

I'm guessing they wanted someone who sounded younger and would work cheap.

If he wants to continue, there's always WECK.

September 7, 2019 10:28 am  #6

Dale Patterson wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

I worry that they'll go even cheaper a la "no dj's on Jack" style and have an even more music work day with no one at all on air. THAT or they've found a John Tesh or whoever to toss on for mid days...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 7, 2019 11:43 am  #7

Radiowiz wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

I worry that they'll go even cheaper a la "no dj's on Jack" style and have an even more music work day with no one at all on air. THAT or they've found a John Tesh or whoever to toss on for mid days...

... and interrupting listeners between every song to remind them that they're listening to 20 uninterrupted songs in a row...

September 7, 2019 12:19 pm  #8

Star is really tired sounding. Imaging that says nothing, weekend Vts that say nothing, dated jingles, gold doesn't seem to ever turn over....

September 8, 2019 6:20 am  #9

Roger Christian mentions that he was "walked out of the building" after his last shift. Really? After a stellar career of 43 years? But that's the way it's done in the corporate world. I'm hoping he lands at WECK. Or he can just retire (apparently he has a thriving DJ service) and enjoy his beef on weck.

https://tinyurl.com/y52pe67a

September 13, 2019 9:41 am  #10

Dale Patterson wrote:

There certainly is 
https://radioink.com/2019/09/13/weck-am-fm-land-veteran-christian/

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

September 13, 2019 10:12 am  #11

WECK has become more like what Oldies 104 used to be, hiring all the great voices from the past. Here's the Buffalo News' take on the story, with a few added asides, including this other throwback to more distant times:

"In addition to his radio work, Christian will play music for wedding receptions, class reunions, retirement parties and other events for a new venture, “WECK Music Road Show with Roger Christian.”

Radio personality Roger Christian joins WECK