sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 3, 2019 8:47 am  #1

Another Jays Game Airing Only On YouTube This Week

The first one happened in late July. The next one takes place this Thursday. The Jays-Rays game is going to be on YouTube only, bypassing Sportsnet for only the second time this year. I'd really be curious to know what MLB and YouTube are getting out of this.

I don't think they run any spots during the game, and whatever they may have paid for these random rights (they also air a number of other teams' games during the season) can't possibly be profitable. And MLB has plenty of other outlets for its product. So what is the business plan? Is it to get people used to watching sports over their platform? YouTube certainly doesn't need any more publicity, It's one of the best known video destinations in the world. 

This would, of course, be a lot bigger deal if the Jays weren't having such a moribund year. But if you're not on cable or not home, this is a chance to see some of the newbies (Vlad Jr., Bo Bichette, etc.) who are generating such hope for the future.

You can watch the game when it airs here.

September 3, 2019 8:53 am  #2

Re: Another Jays Game Airing Only On YouTube This Week

With a little pitching help next year, this group of kids will be entertaining to watch...

I love baseball, but like you RA, have found this year to be a bit frustrating, not with our players but how management is at time oblivious to the fans and reluctant to bring in the best of the best.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 3, 2019 11:32 am  #3

It's clearly not a championship year, so a great year to try all sorts of hands on deck and see how they fare.

September 3, 2019 1:25 pm  #4

I don't think I fully understand.
Are these traditionally games that would not be televised no matter what anyway? 
Or were actual games pulled from the intent to be televised?

Wasn't there a time when select games were radio only games anyway? Aren't these few games the same games?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 3, 2019 2:39 pm  #5

Will the NFL please start. A horrible summer for sports in Toronto. 

September 3, 2019 4:16 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

I don't think I fully understand.
Are these traditionally games that would not be televised no matter what anyway? 
Or were actual games pulled from the intent to be televised?

Wasn't there a time when select games were radio only games anyway? Aren't these few games the same games?

These games would otherwise be televised. 

The initiative comes straight from MLB and the Commissioner is a strong supporter of it.  The games are selected by MLB and the teams and their broadcast partners have no say.  Last year when there were complaints after the first Blue Jays game was announced,  Manfred while in Toronto took the rare step of criticizing (without mentioning names) Rogers brass who were voicing unhappiness with the arrangement.

Last edited by Media Observer (September 4, 2019 2:09 pm)

September 3, 2019 5:03 pm  #7

Media Observer wrote:

The initiative comes straight from MLB and the Commissioner is a strong supporter of it.

My question continues to be "why?" What does MLB get out of giving their games away for free on YouTube? In that case, why not a Jays game televised on City?  (And yes, I'm aware the Sunday games are on OMNI in Tagalog.) 

I suppose the occasional freebie doesn't hurt and might encourage fandom or attendance if a team is doing well, but MLB loves money. How is this making them any?   

September 3, 2019 5:43 pm  #8

@RA...Damned if I know!

While a self admitted Luddite,  I do accept that social media and the so called "non-traditional" platforms are the future.  That said however, I cannot for the life of me comprehend how a small You Tube sole availability will lead to a new viewing demographic?

Last edited by Media Observer (September 3, 2019 5:44 pm)

September 3, 2019 7:06 pm  #9

Are they still playing???

September 3, 2019 7:09 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

The initiative comes straight from MLB and the Commissioner is a strong supporter of it.

My question continues to be "why?" What does MLB get out of giving their games away for free on YouTube? In that case, why not a Jays game televised on City?  (And yes, I'm aware the Sunday games are on OMNI in Tagalog.) 

I suppose the occasional freebie doesn't hurt and might encourage fandom or attendance if a team is doing well, but MLB loves money. How is this making them any?   

Youtube would be paying them a considerable amount of money for this. Yes - you're right - everyone knows what Youtube is, but they're not known for live video, nevermind live sports. This is a toe in the water for Youtube...testing audience levels, technical feasibility, etc. Absolutely guaranteed that they will be in the next round of bidding for some pretty major sports rights.

September 4, 2019 12:08 am  #11

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Media Observer wrote:

Youtube would be paying them a considerable amount of money for this. Yes - you're right - everyone knows what Youtube is, but they're not known for live video, nevermind live sports. This is a toe in the water for Youtube...testing audience levels, technical feasibility, etc. Absolutely guaranteed that they will be in the next round of bidding for some pretty major sports rights.

No one here is under 50 so I'll spell it out.
Young people don't watch TV and baseball's audience will die of old age unless they go where young people are.  They got online with live games with MLB.TV 15 years ago before any other league thought to do it and now the NHL pays MLB to run its digital division.  This is the next step in the evolution of streaming and baseball is leading the way again..

Last edited by Prod Guy (September 4, 2019 12:45 am)

September 4, 2019 7:35 am  #12

Prod Guy wrote:

Young people don't watch TV and baseball's audience will die of old age unless they go where young people are.  They got online with live games with MLB.TV 15 years ago before any other league thought to do it and now the NHL pays MLB to run its digital division.  This is the next step in the evolution of streaming and baseball is leading the way again..

I don't doubt what you're saying to be true (the ageist dig aside!) but how do they monetize this? A younger audience in particular is notorious for feeling everything on the web should be free. My own apparent ageism reference in that last sentence notwithstanding,, do they really think the demo they're seeking will shell out the bucks for an eventual subscription model? Maybe for Netflix but I'm not so sure for MLB.

How long can they afford to just give it away? Fifteen years (and counting) is a long time with no apparent returns.

September 4, 2019 10:02 am  #13

RadioActive wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

I don't doubt what you're saying to be true (the ageist dig aside!) but how do they monetize this? A younger audience in particular is notorious for feeling everything on the web should be free. My own apparent ageism reference in that last sentence notwithstanding,, do they really think the demo they're seeking will shell out the bucks for an eventual subscription model? Maybe for Netflix but I'm not so sure for MLB.

How long can they afford to just give it away? Fifteen years (and counting) is a long time with no apparent returns.

Ads. Lots of ads. It's what they do.

September 5, 2019 7:23 pm  #14

here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTS8c8cad8

Last edited by cash (September 5, 2019 7:23 pm)

September 5, 2019 8:42 pm  #15

I love the Youtube broadcasts and I'm 66. I enjoy the way they interview players and coaches during the games. The whole broadcast feels so much informal and is more fun to watch and listen to than the regular broadcasts.

September 5, 2019 9:03 pm  #16

Buck Martinez is part of the broadcast crew too tonight...funny thing though, there is a baseball game on Sportsnet, not us, but still a game is on air...on a night that the NFL starts and Andrea is playing tennis in NYC.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...