sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2019 3:29 pm  #1

Longtime Daily CBC Radio Host Leaving For Podcasting

I'm not a big listener to The Current, but I certainly know the voice of its host, Anna Maria Tremonti. She's been at the helm of that daily show on Radio 1 for more than 20 years. But that all changes in late June, when she exits the broadcast to do a podcast for CBC. It's perhaps yet another sign of where the industry is heading, but at 61, Tremonti says it's time for a change. 

Anna Maria Tremonti leaving The Current to host and produce original podcasts for CBC    

May 27, 2019 11:50 pm  #2

Re: Longtime Daily CBC Radio Host Leaving For Podcasting

I try to catch the Current when I can, and I think there's a short reroll in the evening as well, or there used to be. Anna Maria Tremonti always makes the story come alive with her questions, and observations. Even topics that are less than interesting normally (to me) I've enjoyed just because of her way of doing the show. And RA, you're right about her voice. Anna Maria has an excellent cool clear radio voice.

She's only 61, good for her for jumping into the podcast game. The world needs as many well researched, and thoughtful podcasts as we can get.

Speaking of which: it would be great, (but probably impossible) to have a collected resource that listed all the podcasts local radio people are doing. Toronto Mike, Humble and Fred, Steve Dangle, Frank D'Angelo too I think... there's a lot of them out there, and a designated site could help listeners and fans of the radio hosts follow their content, and find new shows to love....and expand their horizons.

June 20, 2019 11:37 am  #3

This morning was AMT's final airing of The Current, and they did it in the atrium of the Broadcasting Centre.

I caught a bit of it: there was a band playing during the news cutouts, Carol Off interviewed AMT, and they played a tribute video from producers and staff, some of whom also came up on stage for hugs. At the end of the taping (it goes live to Atlantic Time, so 7:30 - 9:00 am here), she received a standing O from the heavily grey- and fuddy-duddy-skewed audience, followed by a Q & A.

September 1, 2019 10:28 am  #4

Laura Lynch has been named interim host of The Current, although it appears they're still looking for a permanent replacement for Anna Maria Tremonti.

Laura Lynch, veteran political and foreign correspondent, named interim host of The Current

September 2, 2019 2:41 pm  #5

So, let me understand this.  Anna Maria Tremonti left a full time job doing The Current at CBC to do a Podcast.  OK.

Last edited by AMFM (September 2, 2019 2:42 pm)

September 3, 2019 11:37 am  #6

Why not. AMT has been there for a long time. I have no idea why she's making the move, but it's not inconceivable she wants a change of some kind. Some CBC podcasts are pretty detailed pieces of work.

November 6, 2019 3:47 pm  #7

Anna Maria Tremonti wants to go down 'rabbit holes' with 'More' podcast
https://www.timescolonist.com/anna-maria-tremonti-wants-to-go-down-rabbit-holes-with-more-podcast-1.23998281