sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 14, 2019 7:37 am  #1

Radio stations that will be at CNE 2019

Anyone have a list of radio stations that will be at the CNE this year and where they'll be located?
Some stations have chosen not to be present for the full CNE.

Looks like Evanov group is only doing Week-ends for Z103 (not sure about Jewel 88five)
Any other radio stations that will be there this year?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 14, 2019 9:10 am  #2

Re: Radio stations that will be at CNE 2019

I'm at an age; where I remember both 1050 CHUM & CKEY being at the CNE.  Ah the CHUMINGBIRDS.  Over at CKEY I got my first look at David Marsden who at that time; in his gold lame jacket was fast talking Dave Mickie.  I'm greatful that David & Duff Roman are still with us and that I got to work with them both.

It's important that younger people here on the yellow board know that these guys were like rock stars to us.  What a thrill it was to see the faces behind the voices.  Other times the phrase, " he sure doesn't look like he sounds was born."  Anyway it was what I really looked forward to.  Years later in the early 80's I was at the CNE; in the CJCL trailer.   A few years later (1990 I think), I was broadcasting; from the Key 590 trailer; with the  likes of Terry Steele. It was a lot of fun.  Sometimes feeling like a fish in a fishbowl looking out :>)

Last edited by John D (August 14, 2019 9:17 am)

August 14, 2019 12:15 pm  #3

geo wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Do people still go to the CNE?  And do they go there to stand around and watch people talk into a microphone? 

No & no.     
But in the late 50s & early 60s there was a dearth of competition for our attention

I argue differently that there is no shortage of people who still love the CNE today.
However, it's not about standing around watching people speak into a microphone as much as it is a chance to say hello to the behind the scenes people (or merely the promotions department) and grab some "swag". 

I wish Rogers would bring back that booth that let people have a chance to read a sportscast. (a random older sportscast. Recorded and saved to take home and keep) 
That was fun. 

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 14, 2019 12:20 pm)

August 14, 2019 12:29 pm  #4

I remember hanging out at the Craven-A caravan most of the summer for free cigarettes .  (Even if Craven-A sucked..  they were still free )

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

August 14, 2019 12:45 pm  #5

Ad in CHUM-sponsored GO Magazine, August 18, 1967: (A few things to note here - how ironic that they called it CHUM City, the very moniker they used when the company bought City TV decades later. Also - isn't it The PRINCES' Gates?)

August 14, 2019 1:41 pm  #6

geo wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

Do people still go to the CNE? 

No

Last year's Union was able to fill Lamport stadium (& then some) with people who would have attended the CNE Labour day. 
That's an awful lot of people.

August 14, 2019 2:10 pm  #7

I think he means last year's Labour Day Parade when unions avoided the CNE because IATSE was locked out. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_hall/2018/11/15/locked-out-cne-workers-agree-to-contract-offer.html

Last edited by Hansa (August 14, 2019 2:11 pm)

August 14, 2019 3:51 pm  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

What is last year's union?

Unions delivered a very powerful message last year's Labour day. 
It wasn't just Lamport as the alternative to CNE, and THAT was a lot of people not attending.
Thankfully something was worked out by November of last year. 

Now that things are back to normal, hopefully attendance will be very good this year. 
The CNE is not anywhere near dead.

"But Rizvi said Unifor members have rented boats at the city’s habourfront, and other unions in the march will be hosting barbecues instead of going to the fair.“We’re not crossing the picket line at the expense of another union’s workers who are trying to fight for their jobs,” she said.Before the start of the march, Unifor president Jerry Dias spoke to attendees about the importance of fair wages and work environments.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/09/03/labour-day-parade-not-ending-at-cne-to-show-solidarity-with-locked-out-workers.html

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 14, 2019 4:13 pm)

August 14, 2019 4:17 pm  #9

Now where's that list of radio stations that will be at the CNE this year? 

August 14, 2019 9:29 pm  #10

I loved when Mike Cooper broke the Ferris Wheel record...here is video of Mike sharing the memory...

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYIQo6nB0pg

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

August 18, 2019 5:20 pm  #11

I heard Q107 live at the CNE on Saturday. Not sure where they were at the fair, but their on air guy was live from there for his whole show. 

Speaking of the CNE, did you know that the very first time TV was shown in Canada, it broadcast radio? Here's the story, from 1948.

August 19, 2019 1:45 pm  #12

ZoomerRadio, AM 740/96.7 in downtown Toronto will be at the CNE this coming Thursday afternoon and evening, August 22.    Norm and Eva will broadcast their afternoon drive show and Robbie Lane will also be there for his evening gig.

August 20, 2019 10:15 am  #13

There is a Z103.5 booth near the stadium but it was vacant yesterday.

August 20, 2019 2:28 pm  #14

Maybe radio stations could have a booth set up with a mic in front of a computer to showcase their announcer, Mr/Ms. Voice Track

August 22, 2019 7:48 am  #15

I saw g987fm.com on the midway when I was there last week.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

August 22, 2019 4:30 pm  #16

Hrick wrote:

There is a Z103.5 booth near the stadium but it was vacant yesterday.

As I mentioned already, Zee 103five will only be present on week-ends. 

August 23, 2019 7:49 am  #17

Think of heard that 96.3 will be there on Thursday 29th. With Bill Anderson and Mark Wigmore shifts

August 23, 2019 2:45 pm  #18

1975 and I witnessed Mike Cooper on the ferris wheel at CNE

Never in a million years would I have guessed that that just a few years later we'd be working the same station - the same shift.  
A dynamic duo -- he the horses head and me the...