sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2019 7:17 am  #1

60 Minutes [Tick,Tick,Tick] Delays Coming Soon

The NFL season is almost here again [Sept 8] which means frustration for non football fans and 60 Minutes fans. A brief explanation. The season lasts 17 weeks. Games are played at 1PM and 4:25PM. FOX and CBS each take turns broadcasting the 4:25 Doubleheader game. Each network gets 8 DH games. Both networks carry a DH game in week 17. When CBS has a 4:25 kickoff, do not expect to see 60 Minutes on WIVB until sometime between 7:30 and 8PM. Non OTA viewers, who have access to KIRO Seattle, can watch at 10PM Here is a list of the weeks you will have 60 Minute delays on WIVB. Sept 22, 29. Oct 13, 27. Nov 3, 17. Dec 1, 8, 29.                                                                         I know this doesn't help with your frustration, but you at least will be prepared to add an extra 30 minutes of recording time to your PVR.

August 9, 2019 7:41 am  #2

Re: 60 Minutes [Tick,Tick,Tick] Delays Coming Soon

I'm not a football fan and this is one of the reasons. Not only does 60 Minutes get delayed (ironically, sometimes more than 60 minutes) but every other show that follows is off schedule, too. It not only affects the time for DVRs but the ratings for the shows themselves, which get penalized for being late. How many people stay up until 11:30 on a Sunday night to catch a show still in progress?

It's the same thing on Fox, where The Simpsons and Family Guy get the identical treatment.

I know the networks don't care. The NFL makes them more money than any regular show ever will. But as a veteran taper (if that word still applies) it's especially aggravating and is one of my pet peeves every year. In fact, the only thing I like about February is that football overruns stop. (I've never seen a game where the final 2 minutes can last for a quarter of an hour.)

I sometimes wish they'd relegate NFL games to cable networks, like baseball does. That way, those who want to see them and those of us who are tired of missing the end of our favourite shows can watch them normally. Now THAT would be a touchdown in my book.

August 9, 2019 8:43 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not a football fan and this is one of the reasons. Not only does 60 Minutes get delayed (ironically, sometimes more than 60 minutes) but every other show that follows is off schedule, too. It not only affects the time for DVRs but the ratings for the shows themselves, which get penalized for being late. How many people stay up until 11:30 on a Sunday night to catch a show still in progress?

It's the same thing on Fox, where The Simpsons and Family Guy get the identical treatment.

I couldn't agree more RA. This is where timeshifting channels become essentials.  Any Sunday night US network shows I watch get recorded from Seattle. Even if the games go into overtime (do NFL regular season games go into overtime?  Never mind. I don't care. I hate football) the primetime schedule always rolls out on time.

August 9, 2019 8:48 am  #4

The idea of Network backsliding their primetime schedule because of NFL overruns can be traced back to the Nov 17, 1968 "Heidi" game between the N.Y. Jets and Oakland Raiders. Both teams were 7-2 and would eventually meet in the AFC Championship game. Timex, the sponsor of the Heidi movie, demanded the program start at 7pm sharp! The football game was cut off with 61 seconds remaining and NY leading 26-22. Nobody in the Eastern and Central time zone saw Oakland score two touchdowns in those remaining seconds to win 43-32. To make matters worse, when the game ended at 7:07, NBC put a large scroll across the screen announcing the final score just as Heidi's paralyzed cousin was about to get out of her wheelchair to attempt a few steps. Timex was not pleased. Neither were Jet fans or gamblers. Oakland was favoured by 7.5 points. In 60 seconds Jets backers lost their money. On Monday November 18, the game was the lead story on the Huntley-Brinkley Report. They showed the last minute of the game that half of the U.S. never saw. Ever since that game, no network has ever cut an NFL game so their primetime schedule can start on time. Initially, 60 Minutes would be "Joined In Progress" Now you get the entire program, but it does mess up the complete primetime schedule.

August 9, 2019 9:21 am  #5