sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2019 10:21 am  #1

Whatever Happened To Station I.D. Jingles?

Those of us who grew up on CHUM, CKEY, CKFH, CKOC and CFTR remember those wonderful singing jingles that came from companies like the legendary PAMS or Jam Productions.

A lot of places no longer use their call letters, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t have them sung with their specific branding. Yet they seem to be less of a production element now than they were in past years.

And that’s too bad. I believe they not only add to a station’s sound, but they’re unique to each place and no one else can use them. The CHUM jingles of the 60s, for example, instantly transport me back to the days of its Top 40 glory, more than any song any other competitor could play. I’m surprised AM 740 doesn’t make use of them.

I don’t listen to a lot of music radio these days, so I’m wondering for those who do – does anyone in the GTA still use those singing I.D jingles? If not, I think they’re missing a unique opportunity.

August 7, 2019 3:49 pm  #2

Re: Whatever Happened To Station I.D. Jingles?

I believe Virgin Radio still uses a form of jingle.

Newstalk 1010 uses a 4-note "audio logo" (though it's not sung).

Up in Barrie, Life 100.3 still uses full-fledged singing ID jingles.

August 7, 2019 4:00 pm  #3

I'm not sure what Rogers is doing with Kiss 92, but other Kiss FM's out there might be using Ignite Kiss

Last edited by Radiowiz (August 7, 2019 4:00 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 7, 2019 4:19 pm  #4

CHFI uses a singing jingle and Virgin - Boom 973 uses humorous tags rather then jingles.  CHUM FM is too cool for school to use any jingles. Q and Edge formats dont support jingles as its rock oriented.

It really is based appropriately on the format of the station.  

Last edited by markow202 (August 7, 2019 4:20 pm)

August 7, 2019 4:31 pm  #5

markow202 wrote:

Boom 973 uses humorous tags rather then jingles. 

The jingles for Boom 97.3 used to be a big thing, but now they are merely used in the morning for traffic updates.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 7, 2019 6:46 pm  #6

markow202 wrote:

s. Q and Edge formats dont support jingles as its rock oriented.

Edge actually has the what could be described as jingles, as close as they can be for a rock station. 

August 7, 2019 6:50 pm  #7

Overall though, even the most contemporary sounding jingles sound dated. At least if they're more than a couple seconds long. KiSS 92.5 uses very brief "This is Kiss" sings that mimic the song they're going into, but singing "#1 for Hit Music - KiSS 92-5" in full wouldn't work.

August 7, 2019 9:49 pm  #8

RadioAaron wrote:

markow202 wrote:

s. 

Edge actually has the what could be described as jingles, as close as they can be for a rock station. 

Actually back in the early 80's a couple of the CFNY I.D.'s did feature an electronic 4-note voice singing C-F-N-YYYY

August 7, 2019 9:52 pm  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Those of us who grew up on CHUM, CKEY, CKFH, CKOC and CFTR remember those wonderful singing jingles that came from companies like the legendary PAMS or Jam Productions.

A lot of places no longer use their call letters, but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t have them sung with their specific branding. Yet they seem to be less of a production element now than they were in past years.

And that’s too bad. I believe they not only add to a station’s sound, but they’re unique to each place and no one else can use them. The CHUM jingles of the 60s, for example, instantly transport me back to the days of its Top 40 glory, more than any song any other competitor could play. I’m surprised AM 740 doesn’t make use of them.

I don’t listen to a lot of music radio these days, so I’m wondering for those who do – does anyone in the GTA still use those singing I.D jingles? If not, I think they’re missing a unique opportunity.

MY Broadcasting uses jingles quite liberally for their MY-FM and OLDIES branded stations.

August 7, 2019 10:24 pm  #10

CJOY in Guelph (1460 AM) uses station id jingles.

August 10, 2019 7:15 am  #11

Speaking of jingles ... 

Nice WXCY jingle on 103.7 from Havre de Grace Maryland. I heard it at Burnt River Ont. via Meteor Scatter. 

The odds of catching a jingle like this in a 1-2 second burst is pretty low ...

Posted ONLINE at:

http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?12400

I'm not a scientist, but here's a layperson's technical explanation ... FM signals aim towards the sky on an angle, and meteor scatter reception happens when meteors leave ionized trails during atmospheric entry, and the skybound FM signals are reflected by those ionized trails back to Earth - typically at distances of 300-1200 miles. These receptions are NOT e-skip ... E-skip signals can last for many minutes. Meteor scatter signals last anywhere from a fraction of a second to maybe a few seconds (I've had a mere handful of bursts lasting 2-5 minutes but these are very rare events and I don't really understand their duration). Anyhow, 99.9% of signals are unidentifiable. But this one - a jingle - made the grade.

August 10, 2019 10:19 am  #12

CKWW has a singing top-of-hour ID that sounds very much (minus the call letters) like the Drake CKLW ID used in the late 60s. In the States, WSM and WRVA (AM 1140 Richmond VA, Washington Nationals games) have singing TOH IDs -- only WRVA's isn't legal, it comes after the CLS for 1140 and the FM translator are read so fast that they're hard to copy.