sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 6, 2019 1:46 pm  #1

Global News Radio - Hamilton

Given all the time, effort and expense put into rebranding the various Corus radio stations, why is Global News Radio - Hamilton playing old-time radio shows each night between 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m.?

Surely, the Charles Adler Show is closer to the "News Radio" theme than our old friend Jack Benny, no? And, Corus is already paying him.

August 6, 2019 5:54 pm  #2

Re: Global News Radio - Hamilton

I am an old time radio buff and I find it quite refreshing to be able to tune in to a sampling from radio's
golden age.  Surely for CHML to devote 3 hours per day to OTR is quite acceptable since 21 hours are given over to news and talk, much of which is just mundane chatter.  I'm sure that there are many others out there who also enjoy hearing OTR again. Kudos to CHML and AM 740 for keeping OTR alive!

Last edited by mojo55 (August 6, 2019 5:56 pm)

August 6, 2019 6:01 pm  #3

I recall 640 briefly carrying OTR in the late 90s. It was enjoyable...a damn sight better than the rubbish that was to come (and is still upon us).

August 6, 2019 6:08 pm  #4

Jack Benny: Rochester, get me a cold soda out of our General Electric refrigerator.
Rochester: But boss, we don't have a General Electric refrigerator.
Jack Benny: We will tomorrow!

August 6, 2019 6:21 pm  #5

Remember when GE made jet engines instead of rebranding shitty Maytag ones?

August 6, 2019 7:19 pm  #6

mojo55 wrote:

I am an old time radio buff and I find it quite refreshing to be able to tune in to a sampling from radio's
golden age.  Surely for CHML to devote 3 hours per day to OTR is quite acceptable since 21 hours are given over to news and talk, much of which is just mundane chatter.  I'm sure that there are many others out there who also enjoy hearing OTR again. Kudos to CHML and AM 740 for keeping OTR alive!

My sentiments exactly.  I checked out the website and they have quite a selection of shows.

August 6, 2019 7:21 pm  #7

potentiometer wrote:

Jack Benny: Rochester, get me a cold soda out of our General Electric refrigerator.
Rochester: But boss, we don't have a General Electric refrigerator.
Jack Benny: We will tomorrow!

I loved Jack Benny and I'd almost forgotten about this. About a year ago, I came across an interview someone did with the late Frank Nelson. Who's he? If you remember the Benny show, he was the guy whose back was to the camera until Jack came up and said, "oh mister, mister," at which point Nelson would turn around and scream "Yeeeesss?" And then he'd proceed to insult Jack for the next five minutes. 

The interview runs just over 20 minutes and is filled with one anecdote after another about Benny, George Burns and more. And when I first heard it, I knew I had to get a copy because the stories are simply hilarious. As far as I know, this only ever aired once. It was on Toronto radio station CJCL in its talk days in the early 80s and it was totally wasted by airing at 3 in the morning! 

If you were a Benny fan, it's a must hear peek behind the curtain at a comedy legend with stories you've probably never heard before. 

If you're interested, you can find it on Soundcloud here.

August 7, 2019 8:09 am  #8

The Frank Nelson interview was quite interesting. I had heard that Jack Benny was an extremely generous man in real life. That was a very touching story at the end of the interview. The only radio shows I remember listening to as a kid were "Your's Truly: Johnny Dollar" [1949-1962] and "Gunsmoke" [1952-1961] I think Johnnny Dollar was some sort of Insurance investigator. William Conrad played the role of Matt Dillon on the radio series. He sounded the way James Arness looked. If I were to hear an episode of Gunsmoke today, I would not be able to get the image of Frank Cannon waddling around Dodge City. Howard McNear [of Floyd the Barber fame] played Doc Adams on the radio version of Gunsmoke as well.

August 7, 2019 10:26 am  #9

I like Old Time Radio too. However, now that we've all waxed nostalgic about Jack Benny, et al, allow me to re-post the original question...

"Given all the time, effort and expense put into rebranding the various Corus radio stations, why is Global News Radio - Hamilton playing old-time radio shows each night between 10:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m.?

Surely, the Charles Adler Show is closer to the "News Radio" theme than our old friend Jack Benny, no? And, Corus is already paying him."

Last edited by Dial Twister (August 7, 2019 10:30 am)

August 8, 2019 8:17 am  #10

Perhaps Hamiltonians actually like Old Time Radio or maybe there are some contractual obligations that must be fulfilled. Just a guess on my part.