sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2019 2:08 pm  #1

Antenna Bans

For years most apartment owners will not allow antennas/sattelite dishes to be "attached" to the building Some residents set it up on their balcony. In the U.S. the FCC ruled in 1999 that if a renter has an "exclusive use" area such as a patio or balcony, they can install an antenna or dish [less than 39" in diameter] Are there similar rules in Canada regarding this issue? My thinking. Probably not.

July 30, 2019 2:43 pm  #2

Re: Antenna Bans

For the love of God, don't drill holes into your landlord's building.   That said, rules are there to be bent.    

July 30, 2019 3:06 pm  #3

Gorilla Glue!

July 30, 2019 3:25 pm  #4

Mount your dish on a patio slab. It won't fall over

July 30, 2019 3:46 pm  #5

I remember the craziness back in the days of the so-called Big Dish, those 10' satellite dishes. And manufacturers came up with clever ways to get around these prohibitions - namely, they disguised the dish as a patio umbrella, supposedly fooling the landlord.

Don't know if it actually worked, but people tried it and they used to advertise them all the time in satellite magazines.

July 30, 2019 3:52 pm  #6

I have a large balcony and a DB4E on a pole zip tied to the balcony fence in the corner.   

They sent a letter to remove it once however I emailed the property manager that its zip tied and that I refuse to pay cable.  Didnt hear anything since knock on wood.

July 30, 2019 3:52 pm  #7

On that subject, a building will often contract with Rogers for exclusive rights to cable within a complex. If you want TV, you have to go with Rogers. That seems blatantly unfair, all over esthetics, and it gives them a virtual monopoly over potentially hundreds of tenants. 

I have a friend who lives in an apartment building and his only option is Rogers - or else, perhaps streaming, with the loss of channels that entails. And he wants both local news and sports, so his options are non-existent. He's not happy about it, but outside of moving, what choice does he have but to do business with a company he doesn't like or trust?

I'd love someone to challenge it in court someday, but who has the time or the money?

July 30, 2019 4:58 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

I'd love someone to challenge it in court someday, but who has the time or the money?

Rogers. 

July 30, 2019 11:37 pm  #9

I know a few buildings in Toronto with no balconies. The landlord of at least one property said "I don't want 50 dishes on my roof, let alone one and it is my right to say NO!...so try some other idea..."

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 31, 2019 6:41 am  #10

There are a number of low rise apartment buildings on Keele south of the 401 and Wilson just east of the 400 overpass that have up to 20 of the pizza size sattelite dishes, mostly affixed to the outside wall. Interestingly, a fair number of them are Direct TV. [ I wonder how these customers are enjoying the loss of CBS affilliates] In my building [401/Avenue Rd.] one tenant, who faces SW, has erected an antenna that looks like a figure eight [Clearstream??] It seems to be strapped in some fashion. Alas, I don't have a balcony and my apartment faces north, so I am SOL to join the OTA  crowd.