sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 26, 2019 8:45 am  #1

A Peek At Tomorrow’s Car Radios

They look nice and seem up-to-date, but in an era where cell phone distractions are a major concern behind the wheel, I'm not sure giving people more menus to scroll through while they're on the road is a good thing. But you can decide for yourself. 

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes simpler is better. These are definitely not simpler. 

A Peek at Tomorrow’s Car Radios 

July 26, 2019 9:04 am  #2

Re: A Peek At Tomorrow’s Car Radios

Maybe self-driving vehicles can't come fast enough. People seem determined to anything BUT drive, anyway.

July 26, 2019 10:24 am  #3

As if to prove the point, I stumbled across this article while looking for something else:

Older drivers distracted 8 seconds longer by in-car tech, AAA finds

Just in case there are some youthful readers sneering at that headline, it's important to remember that the same study indicates those in a younger age bracket also spend a dangerous amount of time fooling around with their audio systems -  at least 18 seconds on average. That's an accident waiting to happen. 

The article tries to provide advice about this, none of it very helpful, including, "avoiding vehicles that require use of a center console controller when using the infotainment system. These kinds of systems are especially distracting, and potentially dangerous."

Good luck finding a new car on the market without one. They literally don't make them like that any more. 

July 27, 2019 7:44 am  #4

I suppose DXing would be much more difficult with these entertainment systems.