sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 22, 2019 10:53 pm  #1

WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

I saw a crawl Monday night on Channel 23 that read as follows:

"Attention: WIVB and WNLO are moving frequencies after July 29th at 2 AM. If you use an antenna to watch for free, you must re-scan your television set after July 29th at 2 AM, to continue receiving these channels. Visit WIVB.com or TVanswers.org. Cable and satellite viewers are not affected."

All of which means they're both going sooner than the August 2nd date one of their engineers told me about a few months ago. I believe the new channel is 36, which would also mean Yes TV's Toronto/Hamilton signal will also have to be gone by then.

As noted in some previous threads, this could prove problematic for reception of Channel 4 for some of us in T.O., after the last move noticeably improved things here. Sadly it may also mean a more spotty signal from WNLO, which up to now had been one of the strongest and most reliable signals into the city.

I'm not entirely sure from the crawl whether they mean early in the morning of July 29th or after 2 AM on the 30th. But if you wake up next Monday and channels 4, 23 and 36 are gone, you'll know!

July 23, 2019 11:08 am  #2

Re: WIVB/WNLO/WUTV/YesTV Confirm OTA Frequency Shift

This thing turns out to be a bigger deal than I thought. 

Consider:

In order for WIVB and WNLO to go over to channel 36, Yes TV will have to be off there first. I've spoken to someone at Yes TV (finally got through to somebody there, although not who I was trying to get) and they confirmed they would be coordinating with WIVB engineers to make the switch to channel 14 almost simultaneously. 

But if I read this right, that means that WUTV has to then make the hop over to its new home of channel 36, in order to make room for Yes on its current channel 14. And on their website, they confirm that they, too, are moving on July 29th. 

So it means that not only will you need to rescan for WIVB and WNLO, but also for Yes TV and WUTV. 

Apparently this is all going to mean a very late night for engineers at three different stations (WIVB & WNLO are the same crew.) 

What a mess! I can't think of another one of these repacks that affected so many outlets at the exact same time. I can only hope the reception isn't made worse by all of this, although I'm pretty sure channels 4 & 23 will be for us in the GTA. 

Here are the new locations as of next Monday, if you hope to scan them all in separately:

WIVB/WNLO 

Current Channel: 32 
New Position: 36

YesTV

Current Channel: 36
New Position: 14

WUTV

Current Channel: 14
New Position: 32

I'm not sure about WNYO, channel 49, which is also a Sinclair outlet, Channel 29's owner. They're scheduled to head from 39 to 16 at some point, although whether they'll also go on Monday isn't clear. 

Good luck keeping it all straight! 

Here's where you can find the complete list

July 23, 2019 11:12 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

I'm not sure about WNYO, channel 49, which is also a Sinclair outlet, Channel 29's owner. They're scheduled to head from 39 to 16 at some point, although whether they'll also go on Monday isn't clear. 

Well, 16 is free for them now. We turned off WXXI-TV's channel 16 signal here in Rochester at 12:30 AM and are now up and running on channel 22 this morning. 

I guess we just coexist with CHEX-TV-22 in Durham for now. 

July 23, 2019 11:31 am  #4

Mr. Fybush:

Any idea how badly the two Nexstar stations (4 & 23) will be affected in the GTA now that they'll be going back to the Colden, N.Y. transmitter? WIVB was pretty spotty when they were there before and this time, they're taking the always strong WNLO with them. I'm not happy about it, but I understand their reasons about improving reception in Buffalo. 

July 24, 2019 12:40 pm  #5

WNYO Channel 49 must be eitheir off the air or on a weaker signal now - haven't received it now for 2 months in Etobicoke and was never a issue for me for the 3 years ive had my antenna.  

Last edited by markow202 (July 24, 2019 12:40 pm)

July 24, 2019 12:58 pm  #6

i've had similar issues with WNYO - it used to come in perfectly and then all of sudden, it was spotty. I find if I turn my rotor a little bit, it pops back in. Whether that improves when it shifts to channel 16 remains to be seen. In any case, since I almost never watch it, it doesn't really affect me all that much - although you have to love that Comet channel showing those cheap sci fi movies on one of its subcarriers. 

July 24, 2019 1:23 pm  #7

markow202 wrote:

WNYO Channel 49 must be eitheir off the air or on a weaker signal now - haven't received it now for 2 months in Etobicoke and was never a issue for me for the 3 years ive had my antenna.  

I am sure you have done some trouble shooting with your antenna but maybe further investigation is needed.. I am getting WNYO with my indoor antenna today but I don't pay attention to how often it comes in. Have not noticed a general downturn over the last two months as you have. Including the sub carriers I am getting 23 channels today with the indoor antenna and have topped 40 on some days depending on the atmospherics..

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 24, 2019 1:30 pm  #8

WNYO is being impacted by high humidity and bands of rain- since we are just past their fringe signal in the GTA, water vapour is impacting their signal.  So are tree leaves if your antenna is pointing into a cluster of trees.  Once the fall comes, and trees lose foliage, the signal attenuation may disappear.  BTW, will relocate to Grand Island It will also go from 198 KW to 575 KW.  The bad news is that they are committed to transition to ATSC-3 - for which there is no TV set equipped to receive the signals, and no inexpensive set-top box.   WNYO and WPXJ are coming in with great signals today in mid-town

July 24, 2019 1:54 pm  #9

Thanks guys.  All was checked.  Im starting to think perhaps it could be an issue with the splitter which is located outside and seperates the line for the two tvs?  

July 24, 2019 2:26 pm  #10

a good splitter designed for UHF frequencies will typically result in around 3 db loss.  With the Buffalo signals subject to fading, and already quite weak (not city grade) the loss may result in the output being below threshold.  In digital transmission it's "all or nothing".  In the analog days, a weak UHF signal would "lock in" but the picture might be "noisy".  This is not the case with distant UHF signals.  Also bear in mind, UHF Ch. 49 is going to be subject to more attenuation in a long coax run, wet connectors, etc.
How old is your outdoor antenna Markow?   Your antenna may not have optimal gain up at UHF Ch. 49.  

Last edited by tvguy (July 24, 2019 2:26 pm)

July 24, 2019 3:25 pm  #11

You know, the more I think about what's coming on Monday, the less sense it makes. I understand that certain frequencies were auctioned off to make room for cell phone use. O.K., but if you look at the swaps coming on July 29th, it's all a case of "you go where I just was." 

Consider:

WIVB/WNLO are shifting from 32 to 36. YesTV is giving up 36 to make way, and flying over to 14. And WUTV is leaving 14 and going to 32. I'd understand it if they were all going to brand new spots. But they're all just changing places. How does this make new space for anyone or give up an existing frequency for cellular traffic?

Aren't they all just shifting from each other's dial positions? There's still going to be a station taking up space at 14, 32 and 36.

So unless this has something to do with adjacent channels in other markets, what's the point? 

July 24, 2019 3:59 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

You know, the more I think about what's coming on Monday, the less sense it makes. I understand that certain frequencies were auctioned off to make room for cell phone use. O.K., but if you look at the swaps coming on July 29th, it's all a case of "you go where I just was." 

Consider:

WIVB/WNLO are shifting from 32 to 36. YesTV is giving up 36 to make way, and flying over to 14. And WUTV is leaving 14 and going to 32. I'd understand it if they were all going to brand new spots. But they're all just changing places. How does this make new space for anyone or give up an existing frequency for cellular traffic?

Aren't they all just shifting from each other's dial positions? There's still going to be a station taking up space at 14, 32 and 36.

So unless this has something to do with adjacent channels in other markets, what's the point? 

Thats actually a really good point! 

July 24, 2019 4:01 pm  #13

tvguy wrote:

a good splitter designed for UHF frequencies will typically result in around 3 db loss.  With the Buffalo signals subject to fading, and already quite weak (not city grade) the loss may result in the output being below threshold.  In digital transmission it's "all or nothing".  In the analog days, a weak UHF signal would "lock in" but the picture might be "noisy".  This is not the case with distant UHF signals.  Also bear in mind, UHF Ch. 49 is going to be subject to more attenuation in a long coax run, wet connectors, etc.
How old is your outdoor antenna Markow?   Your antenna may not have optimal gain up at UHF Ch. 49.  

Three year old DB4E with vhf retrofit kit (this didnt make any differences) - trees are indeed in its path but never posed much of a problem.    With IPTV this isnt too much concern however never seen it this bad.   Ive lost CFMT and CITY also.  Being in Etobicoke its next to impossible to lose those with an outdoor setup however at the same time, last night pulled in Erie PA with no issues.

Last edited by markow202 (July 24, 2019 4:02 pm)

July 24, 2019 4:30 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

It has everything to do with adjacent channels in other markets, and it's mind-rendingly complex. Just one example: WIVB/WNLO can use 36 at the old WIVB Colden site because 36 goes away from Elmira when WENY repacks from 36 to 35. WIVB/WNLO couldn't use 32 at the Colden site because 32 is first-adjacent to 31, WNED's new channel...and while you can use a first-adjacent if the two sites are very close to each other, you can't use a first-adjacent at a more distant site in the same market. CITS goes from 36 to 14 because you can use 14 as a co-located first-adjacent to CHCH on 15. 

And because WUTV gets off 14, you can use 14 in Syracuse for WSYT, replacing 19 there. WSYT on 14 can then be co-located with WNYS on 15 (which had to move off 44 because that channel is now out of core.) 

Why not leave WSYT on 19, which will be the new channel for WSTM in Syracuse? Because the WSYT/WNYS site is a good ten miles away from the rest of the signals in the market. If WSYT stayed on 19, it would have adjacent-channel issues with WTVH (vacating out-of-core 47 for 18) and WCNY (moving from 25 to 20 to make room for a move in Albany.) And if you moved WSTM to 14 instead of 19, it would have adjacent-channel issues with WNYS.

Oh, but wait - it gets even more complex: to get WTVH to 18, Elmira's WETM needs to move from 18 to 23, a move that can only happen because WPXJ moves from 23 to 24. 

Now multiply this across the entire crowded eastern seaboard, and you end up with, in one case, 84 interlinked channel moves in just one "dependency" group. 

Head exploding yet?

July 24, 2019 4:40 pm  #15

Oh, and there's an even more interesting group of these on VHF-hi, where there are several groups of stations that have agreed to accept mutual interference in exchange for being allowed to run higher power. One such group includes a bunch of stations now on RF 7, and in order to preserve the existing contours between those stations, most of those 7s (including WBNG in Binghamton, WWNY in Watertown and WXXA in Albany) go to 8, while several stations with somewhat smaller signal contours (WICZ 8 in Binghamton, WNYA 13 in Albany) go to 7. And yes, that means 7 and 8 in Binghamton swap channels - but it has to be that way to preserve WBNG's larger signal coverage. It also leads to a daisy chain of additional moves in New England - WVNY Burlington goes from 13 to 7 in tandem with WNYA, 13 opens up for WGBY in Springfield to make an auction-based move off UHF, and that in turn sends WPRI in Providence from 13 to 7. Fun fun fun!!!

July 24, 2019 4:52 pm  #16

Wow. Can't we just go back to analog?

July 24, 2019 4:52 pm  #17

Also, I read somewhere that ch. 36 will be no longer allowed in Canada. Our top channel will be 35 while in the states it will be 36.
Who knows why...

July 29, 2019 10:15 am  #18

RadioActive wrote:

I saw a crawl Monday night on Channel 23 that read as follows:

"Attention: WIVB and WNLO are moving frequencies after July 29th at 2 AM. If you use an antenna to watch for free, you must re-scan your television set after July 29th at 2 AM, to continue receiving these channels. Visit WIVB.com or TVanswers.org. Cable and satellite viewers are not affected."

All of which means they're both going sooner than the August 2nd date one of their engineers told me about a few months ago. I believe the new channel is 36, which would also mean Yes TV's Toronto/Hamilton signal will also have to be gone by then.

I'm not entirely sure from the crawl whether they mean early in the morning of July 29th or after 2 AM on the 30th. But if you wake up next Monday and channels 4, 23 and 36 are gone, you'll know!

Channel re-alignment is occurring now...   WIVB / WNLO dropped from RF 32 just after 10am this morning... 

July 29, 2019 10:22 am  #19

It was supposed to be after 2 AM. Guess no one wanted to come in early!

When I tuned in just before 8 this morning, I was surprised to see everything was still there. I'll be curious to see how this changes reception in the GTA. I just hope WIVB and WNLO aren't spotty from here on in. (Either way, it was nice while it lasted!)

July 29, 2019 10:53 am  #20

My TV tuner handled the change easily, but it drove my DVR to distraction. I was getting 29.3 on 4.1, and it was refusing to recognize WIVB at all. Meanwhile, WUTV was coming in on channel 23 as well as 29. 

I finally had to wipe out all my saved settings and do a complete rescan, losing access to the guide for shows on channels 26 and 67, which aren't coming in today.

[Edit: And now I notice that the PSIP for YesTV is showing it as channel 14.1 and not 36 on both of my DVRs. Very weird.] 

All in all, a huge pain-in-the-you-know-what and to make matters worse, it's already affecting reception on WIVB! It's enough to make me want to "repack" and move away! 

Last edited by RadioActive (July 29, 2019 1:28 pm)

July 30, 2019 4:16 am  #21

I'm new to this forum but I'm glad I found this page. I had a hard time finding info about which stations were moving and to make it worse it looks like a few stations made the switch early (as was noted previously). It took most of the day before I recovered all of the stations and at full strength. For example CW and Bounce were doing their proper redirect from their new home on 36 to 23.1/23.2 but I was just getting a black screen. It wasn't until later Monday evening they finally showed up.

The only one I can't seem to find anymore is YesTV. I thought it was moving to 14 but I'm just getting a black screen. I think I only watch this channel once so if it's gone for me then I'm fine with it.

The only thing that is still odd for me is that the ION channels aren't redirecting to their normal setup on 51. They're still sitting on 23.3 through 23.8. Are others having this issue as well? Not that it seems to matter. The only other thing I want to ask about ION is did it move to a tower closer to Toronto or have they boosted their signal? I'm in the Greektown area in Toronto and I think I have only been able to receive ION twice in the past five years and even then it was spotty and lasted for about 10 minutes then it was gone again. I would periodically check this station and suddenly about three weeks ago it was coming in crystal clear and consistently. I'm super happy about this because they have great programming. I'm just not sure what has changed. I can't find any info on it.

BTW: I found this webpage that seems to have the most up to date info except I don't see Yes on here. https://rabbitears.info/market.php?request=print_market&mktid=63. Is there another resource that everyone uses?

Does anyone know if it's possible to get all the stations out of Buffalo that are on 17.1 through to 17.11 (56.1 - 56.11). I just have an indoor antenna but this antenna does a great job of picking up most stations. I'm just not sure the range of these.

As others have said I don't entirely know why these changes happened for the stations that just seemed to be swapping with one another. Those changes didn't seem to have anything to do with changing frequencies. This was a very painful move and for most of the day I thought I had lost some of these channels.

Thanks!

July 30, 2019 7:36 am  #22

TechGirl here are some quick answers.   US and Cdn govts auctioned off UHF TV channels 38-51 to wireless companies who are hungry for spectrum.  That required hundreds of TV stations to change channels.  However technology allows better coordination of tv stations in markets broadcasting on adjacent channels.   BTW, US TV broadcasters were financially compensated out of the billions raised in the auction.  The Canadian Gov't screwed the broadcasters here...in my humble opinion.  No $$$ for repack costs in Canada.  Sunny Ways Justin!

Because so many hundreds of stations are involved, channel repack shifts are done in "phases".  This was only phase 4.  The next big disrupter will be Phase 8 - end of February/Early March.  At that time, City, CFMT, CJMT (Omni2) , and Global will all "move".  Global will go to 17, CFMT to 18, City will go to 30, and CJMT will go to 26.  There will be 2 significant changes in Buffalo.  WNED (ch. 17) will go to 31 and WKBW (Ch 7) will go to 34.   But there are a couple of other changes that will affect reception.  WKBW I have been told by their chief of engineering will rebuild their tower/antenna so by this fall, reception will be spotty in parts of Toronto - but will improve by March 13 2020. I would not be surprised if the next "repack" will take place Sunday/Monday March 8/9th 2020.  

But that's not all.  There are a lot of "temporary" changes, because there were many other changes, which sapped resources of tower crews, antenna suppliers etc.  So Ion will re-locate to the tower site of Ch. 49.  But they won't be able to go to full power for some time, because equipment is on back order.   Ion now on Ch. 23 will move to Ch. 24 by this Friday (Aug 2nd).   Channel 49 "MyTV" will move to Ch. 16 - by Friday August 2nd.  They will relocate their transmitter to Grand Island, so you should see an improvement in the GTA.  But they may also be using temporary facilities.   Finally, the biggest improvement for you next March, may be PBS Ch. 17, when they increase their power, change their antenna pattern and move to Ch. 31.  

There should not be any more channel changes in this region after March 13, 2020.  However, at some point in time, the transmission technology will change from ATSC-1 to ATSC-3.  ATSC-3 will permit mobile TV and better picture resolution.  Right now it is voluntary - why? because there are no TVs deployed with tuners that can receive ATSC-3.  Also, there are no set-top converter boxes that are compatible.  MyTV 49 may however go to ATSC-3 this year.   So where will you be able to receive the station?  There is a requirement to continue with a "nite-lite" signal placed on some other station's subcarrier for some period of time.  So My49 might show up as a subcarrier on WUTV (Fox 29) because they are co-owned by sinclair broadcasting.  But that's something down the road perhaps?

One last thing.  For anyone who receives "Ch 56 CozyTV/ WBXZ-LP" - they "might" move from their current air channel 17 to Ch. 23 - to coordinate with the Toronto March 2020 repack.  But that's somewhat up in the air, with the Canadian and US gov'ts bickering over the channel change. Stay tuned.

Last edited by tvguy (July 30, 2019 7:38 am)

July 30, 2019 10:54 am  #23

@tvguy. Thank you so much for that great reply!!

Typically reception for PBS has been 99.9% for me but any improvement that pushes that closer to 100% is a good thing. I live for PBS's programming. :-) Any improvement to ION is a very good thing. Even though I'm now receiving it fairly consistently it still goes out ("no signal") periodically. The 49 series of channels used to be hit and miss but have been fairly consistent for quite some time now but they still go out periodically so improvements to those are also welcome!. :-)

Ironically I don't really care if, for some reason, I lost the Canadian stations during their move. Most of the programming I watch on those can also be found on the U.S. stations. The only exception is CBC and that's because of all of their original programming.(Schitt's Creek, etc.). On the flip side though life would cease to have meaning without PBS, ION and the 7 series of stations (mainly for the substations like Escape).

As for the U.S broadcasters being compensated... I'm quite sure they said they wouldn't do this without generous compensation which is totally reasonable. Holding true to the Canadian way of not making waves I'm sure our broadcasters just went along with whatever the government said they had to do and in typical Canadian fashion planned to make up the $$$ of doing the switch by passing the cost on to Canadian consumers via increases to cable and cellular fees!

All I need for viewing happiness is my U.S. OTA stations (plus CBC), Amazon Prime Video and Britbox and life is super grand! :-)

July 30, 2019 12:27 pm  #24

Will reception maybe change for the repeaters of CKVR Barrie?  I beleive I heard that the Fonthill CKVP-42 will have a better reception in the GTA area. 

July 30, 2019 1:57 pm  #25

Hi Techgirl. You seem to be doing amazingly well with your indoor antenna. The ION stations that you love are located in Batavia, about half way between Buffalo and Rochester. When I had access to an antenna, I only received them during tropo conditions during early mornings or evenings. Could never count on them for a reliable 24/7 signal. However, when it did come in I usually got WBBZ as well.

July 30, 2019 3:09 pm  #26

CKVP-DT will move to Ch. 29 - but Rabbitears lists the same ERP (5 KW) and the same antenna pattern.  So nothing will significantly change in terms of coverage.   Propagation at Ch. 29 might be slightly better relative to your antenna gain, coax loss, etc.   On the other hand,   Ch. 29 is also occupied by a Buffalo religious television service, WDTB-LP,  which might not be moving channels in the repack.  So during certain "tropospheric" conditions, CKVP might be subject to co-channel interference.

July 30, 2019 3:57 pm  #27

tvguy wrote:

CKVP-DT will move to Ch. 29 - but Rabbitears lists the same ERP (5 KW) and the same antenna pattern.  So nothing will significantly change in terms of coverage.   Propagation at Ch. 29 might be slightly better relative to your antenna gain, coax loss, etc.   On the other hand,   Ch. 29 is also occupied by a Buffalo religious television service, WDTB-LP,  which might not be moving channels in the repack.  So during certain "tropospheric" conditions, CKVP might be subject to co-channel interference.

Thanks tvguy!! WKBW is getting a new tower or refurbishing their existing one? 

July 30, 2019 4:20 pm  #28

I was told a new antenna will be top-mounted on the tower for ch. 34.  The work will take place this fall, in preparation for the switch to 34 in February/March of next year.   Same tower site.   Power increase to 660 KW ERP - from 358 KW.  Because the antenna is being replaced - I presume feedline will also be replaced to the top of the tower, and they will operate at a lower power - with the side-mounted antenna during construction.   No date was given for the start of work.  However given the severity of Buffalo winters, and "lake effect" blizzards, I don't think they will wait too long to commence work.   But tower crews and helicopters that can lift antennas are in short supply right now.

July 30, 2019 4:29 pm  #29

tvguy wrote:

I was told a new antenna will be top-mounted on the tower for ch. 34.  The work will take place this fall, in preparation for the switch to 34 in February/March of next year.   Same tower site.   Power increase to 660 KW ERP - from 358 KW.  Because the antenna is being replaced - I presume feedline will also be replaced to the top of the tower, and they will operate at a lower power - with the side-mounted antenna during construction.   No date was given for the start of work.  However given the severity of Buffalo winters, and "lake effect" blizzards, I don't think they will wait too long to commence work.   But tower crews and helicopters that can lift antennas are in short supply right now.

Thanks for the info! So detailed too!  I still dont know why im not receiving CFMT-47 & CITY 57 in Etobicoke.  I have a feeling they might be off FCP for the past month.

July 30, 2019 5:44 pm  #30

As far as CITS (YesTV, Channel 36) is concerned, they're coming in as 14.1 on all my TVs and DVRs, suggesting they didn't bother with a virtual channel this time. I wonder why. Anyone else seeing this?