sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 17, 2019 5:31 pm  #1

For Those Who Use Tinypic.com For Their SOWNY Images...

There's an announcement on their site that they're shutting down sometime in 2019. A lot of users on SOWNY use Tinypic to host the .gifs that appear here - including yours truly. Almost all of my Instant Replays and Flashback Friday images are hosted there. I have no idea if they'll still be available once the place is offline. It's a shame to lose this valuable service, which is actually built into this board in the "upload" button when you type a message. 

There are other similar services still around, but this one was pretty handy. It's a shame to lose it. 

July 17, 2019 6:54 pm  #2

Re: For Those Who Use Tinypic.com For Their SOWNY Images...

I stopped using TinyPic long ago. I don't know if they stopped, but the site used to recycle URLs, so images you uploaded years ago would be replaced by something new and show up wherever you embedded it.

July 17, 2019 6:56 pm  #3

Their service has been spotty, at best, for several years now, roughly coinciding with its purchase by Photobucket.

Obviously, a company that sells hosting services isn't interested in continuing to offer free services.

July 17, 2019 8:12 pm  #4

more importantly, what shall we do now here on SOWNY???

July 17, 2019 8:22 pm  #5

Try this:

Post Images

But be aware - they try to slip in ad links in the URL, so you've got to watch the code and delete that part of it

July 17, 2019 8:38 pm  #6

not as easy as it looks!

July 17, 2019 9:08 pm  #7

grilled.cheese wrote:

Imgur isn't bad.

I've tried it and wasn't crazy about it. But I'll give it another shot.

What I want to know is when Tinypic disappears, do all those jpgs go with it? I had over 600 of them up there. 

July 18, 2019 8:53 pm  #8

Boardhost sent me this reply in response to my question about this:

"Thank you for your message. We are currently looking into this situation and hope that we can have a replacement in place before the service shuts down."

So at least they know about it and are trying for an alternate. 

I've been testing out imgbox.com and so far, it seems promising, provided you remember to copy the URL in full size mode and not thumbnails. But there's no word on rescuing Frank D'Angelo. 

July 19, 2019 8:11 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

...But there's no word on rescuing Frank D'Angelo. 

Awww. What a shame.

August 8, 2019 11:35 am  #10

Tinypic.com has started deleting images from its freebie site, asking 8 bucks a year for the privilege of retaining your old stuff.

But I just noticed that Boardhost has added a new link under the "upload" button in the message compose window. It takes you to a site called "imgbb," which has the same sort of interface that tinypic used. But it has a bonus - at least for now - of being free. And it puts the code straight into your window, no copying and pasting required. The biggest difference - a 16 mb limit, which should be pretty good for most of us. 

You can try it out when/if you want to post any future pictures here.

https://imgbb.com/