sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2019 11:18 am  #1

Now Magazine questions if Netflix should be forced to do Cancon

Interesting read in Now Magazine as to whether Netflix and Crave TV should be legally forced to produce Canadian Content...to me this opens up a whole can of worms, when a broadcast company is legally forced to act, respond and tailor it's content according to a legal or governmental ruling.

What's your take?

I think it borders on some dangerous ground.

Here is the link to the Now Magazine Story...

https://nowtoronto.com/movies/features/netflix-crave-canada-streaming-legislation/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 10, 2019 12:05 pm  #2

Re: Now Magazine questions if Netflix should be forced to do Cancon

The key is not to increase Canadian programming but increase Quality Canadian programming. If the scripts are well written, the episodes well produced and the characters being portrayed one can identify with, viewership will be regular and large. For example, Street Legal, Degrassi, Murdoch Mysteries were/are hugely successful programs. It can be done. As for ACTRA president David Sparrow's comment about Canadian Culture being at stake if something isn't done soon, I think he is more interested in keeping union members employed than any concern over our culture.

July 10, 2019 10:10 pm  #3

Re: Now Magazine questions if Netflix should be forced to do Cancon

mace wrote:

The key is not to increase Canadian programming but increase Quality Canadian programming. If the scripts are well written, the episodes well produced and the characters being portrayed one can identify with, viewership will be regular and large. For example, Street Legal, Degrassi, Murdoch Mysteries were/are hugely successful programs.

Nostalgia for the old show didn't help the recent Street Legal revival. MM also has a decent fanbase, but its being on Citytv was a holdover from CHUM ownership and its ratings improved once on CBC.

Personally, I think production companies care more about how exportable a series is, while broadcasters and streamers care more about return on investment. Sometimes domestic performance in Canada is enough, but shows more often than not have to bend over for the foreign markets. That was the case with the recent years of the Degrassi franchise, where it was on The N/TeenNick in the US, then Netflix. Even though DHX Media bought both Epitome Pictures and Family Channel around 2013-14, Family didn't go it alone with Next Class once Netflix pulled out.

I get the "don't make subpar content to meet CanCon regulations" and "make a show that Canadians identify with" arguments. Even the high-quality shows have to deal with the realities of cultural sausage-making. I just cringe whenever Netflix-tax articles come up, since they focus most heavily on foreign-service transparency and protectionist measures, while ignoring things like production-company consolidation (see: DHX Media, Kew Media Group, Boat Rocker, 9 Story, Entertainment One).

Last edited by gloryosky (July 10, 2019 10:16 pm)