sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 6, 2019 8:32 am  #1

Why Do I Come To This Site

Just my personal opinion. I have never worked in the media industry, but I have always had an interest in it. Actually, it was John Gallagher who tipped me off to this site. I find the posts on this site interesting and informative. Because the majority of the contributors still work or are retired from the industry, I get many different perspectives that I hadn't considered whether it is from the on-air, news, sales/marketing or engineering/technical side of things. There are many things about dealing with the CRTC  I have learned here that made me think "Wow, I had no idea about this"  Yes, politics does surface occasionally and it is quite easy to see where one's views and opinions sit on the political spectrum. I think RA and before that Ian Grant have done a superb job of keeping things relatively civil. The relatively few bumps in the road have been eliminated. I enjoy hearing about your "war stories" Some are incredibly amusing. Others, somewhat sad. I do recognize some of the names who post and remember listening to you when I was younger. RA, it is a good thing you never throw anything out, whether it is old tv guides, charts or newspaper clippings. Your posts always create lots of discussion. What I like most about this site is that it almost always puts a smile on my face. The wit, sarcasm and razor sharp sense of humour of the contributors is delightful. Thank You.

July 6, 2019 10:30 am  #2

Re: Why Do I Come To This Site

I'd like to publicly thank RA for the wonderful job here's done since taking over Iain Grant, another great moderator who kept SOWNY going when it looked like it might close. The dialogue here is quite civil compared to the earlier days when it at times was like a wild west show. But let's not forget Craig Smith, who moderated SOWNY for nearly a decade before his untimely death. Remember the SOWNY Show? He gave his heart and soul to this place. R.I.P. Craig, and continued kudos to RA and Iain Grant..

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 6, 2019 11:10 am  #3

A big thanks to RA who keeps the place fresh & moving along

Always something to learn or ponder on here just about every day...

July 6, 2019 10:37 pm  #4

Aw shucks, you guys are making me blush. Thanks for the kind words. But the real credit goes to all the posters, who keep this thing interesting with their comments and ideas. We have more than 800 registered users, some of whom no longer contribute, but many who do. And more are coming and are welcome all the time. Plus there are people who don't join or post - it's free if you're interested! - but just come to read your collective wisdom. And it's all of you who keep this place going. 

So while I say thanks for your thanks, it's really thanks to you that we're still going strong after all this time. I like the current atmosphere here as well - we can disagree, most times without being disagreeable. Try getting away with that on Twitter!

July 6, 2019 11:24 pm  #5

to radioactive: as they say in the military... "tanks"!    (rimshot)

July 6, 2019 11:48 pm  #6

i'm on board too.  "tanks" RA.