sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 14, 2019 9:31 am  #1

Raptors Coverage on American Media This Morning

Back in the 90's; when we won two World Series back to back, I rushed over to the Today show the next morning to see what they were saying.  Bryant Gumbel gave us a sentence or two and then on to other things.

This morning I went to CNN & The Today show.  I went back and forth, back and forth and didn't hear a thing.  I understand that NPR & BBC did talk us up.  The big guns south of the border just can't stand to see us win.  It's sad really.

Last edited by John D (June 14, 2019 10:40 am)

June 14, 2019 9:53 am  #2

Re: Raptors Coverage on American Media This Morning

I was watching the Today show this morning and they showed highlights and video of the fans in Toronto from last night. In fact one of the hosts, Craig Melvin has been gushing about the Raptors throughout the series. 

It was interesting to me that the main CTV channel picked up the ABC coverage of the game but didn't get the simulcast (at least on Rogers where I live). They also cut out after the game long before ABC was finished. I thought ABC did a great job of being objective and celebrating Toronto and Canada's win.   

June 14, 2019 10:39 am  #3

Thanks for the Today show update. I saw a lot of Blues coverage on CP 24.  Good to see you back Grilled Cheese.

Last edited by John D (June 14, 2019 10:41 am)

June 14, 2019 1:13 pm  #4

i thought it was very classy for nba commissioner, adam silver, to state (during the trophy presentation) that "basketball was invented by a canadian" (he even left out that it was invented in the u.s.) and "the first nba game was held in toronto". now that's a class act!

June 15, 2019 10:27 am  #5

I agree Hank.  Class act.

June 15, 2019 1:03 pm  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

How much coverage did Toronto media give to the St. Louis Blues?  One sentence? 

You're asking if Toronto media covered game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final the morning after?  Are you new to Canada?  It was everywhere just like it always is.  I understand old men always needing to disagree but pick something that makes sense.

Did hockey get covered in Toronto?
No, that NEVER happens.

June 15, 2019 5:23 pm  #7

John D wrote:

Back in the 90's; when we won two World Series back to back, I rushed over to the Today show the next morning to see what they were saying.  Bryant Gumbel gave us a sentence or two and then on to other things.

This morning I went to CNN & The Today show.  I went back and forth, back and forth and didn't hear a thing.  I understand that NPR & BBC did talk us up.  The big guns south of the border just can't stand to see us win.  It's sad really.

It's called media bias. It is real and it is everywhere. Sports, News, Weather. Controlling the narrative. That is how Bryant Gumbel stays employed. This coverage, or lack thereof, should have been expected.

June 16, 2019 11:43 am  #8

I watched NBC Nightly News on Friday, the day after the Raptors' big win. Not a single mention of the end of the NBA season or the finals. You could chalk it up to it being a news and not a sportscast, but then the following day, they aired a very brief voiceover showing the St. Louis fans going nuts over the Blues finally winning the Stanley Cup. 

So they highlighted hockey, which has traditionally been Canada's game, but not basketball, a U.S. mainstay? It will be interesting to see if they show a single frame of video of the parade on Monday.

If not, it truly will speak volumes. 

June 16, 2019 2:47 pm  #9

R.A.,  I saw the Blues clip on that broadcast.  My personal take was that one reason for airing it would be the fact that NBC holds the rights for US broadcasts of NHL games.

June 16, 2019 3:31 pm  #10

Possibly. We'll soon what happens on Monday. My guess - unless there's violence of some kind or it sets an attendance record, they won't mention Toronto's parade. After all, if they didn't even bother naming the winner, why go with the celebration?

June 17, 2019 7:37 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Possibly. We'll soon what happens on Monday. My guess - unless there's violence of some kind or it sets an attendance record, they won't mention Toronto's parade. After all, if they didn't even bother naming the winner, why go with the celebration?

Well, I was unfortunately right.

NBC Nightly News didn't mention the parade or the incident at all, but ABC News devoted about 15-20 seconds of video to it - with the shooting getting almost all of the prominence. At least they referred to the Raptors as having won the NBA Finals. For those watching Lester Holt, it appears the basketball season ended without any winner at all. 

I wonder if ABC would have run this if not for the violence. It would have been interesting to see if it would have made their national newscast if the day had gone on without this blemish on the celebration. Unfrotunately, we'll never know. 

June 17, 2019 7:56 pm  #12

RadioActive wrote:

I wonder if ABC would have run this if not for the violence. It would have been interesting to see if it would have made their national newscast if the day had gone on without this blemish on the celebration. Unfrotunately, we'll never know. 

Sadly.  it's usually the negative elements of most stories that sell.

The Drudge Report highlighted the headline in red print and the link went to a U.K. Daily Mail story full of photographs showing people kneeling and running for cover along with the police responses.  The Buffalo News headline was also about the shooting.  

Unfortunate,  but sadly understandable in an era where the bad actions of a few will always make the headlines.  

Last edited by Media Observer (June 17, 2019 7:57 pm)

June 17, 2019 8:45 pm  #13

On the CBS Evening News, The Raptor celebration, at least the shooting portion, was the lead story ahead of the Dallas courthouse shooting. They actually had a reporter on scene and to their credit, they did mention and did show a few hi-lights of the celebration. But, like ABC, the main emphasis was the shooting angle.

June 17, 2019 8:54 pm  #14

mace wrote:

On the CBS Evening News, The Raptor celebration, at least the shooting portion, was the lead story ahead of the Dallas courthouse shooting. They actually had a reporter on scene and to their credit, they did mention and did show a few hi-lights of the celebration. But, like ABC, the main emphasis was the shooting angle.

That's very interesting. I wasn't able to monitor all the American national newscasts, but I'm glad to hear at least one of them handled the story properly. And the fact they sent a reporter to T.O. is astounding.