sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 31, 2019 4:15 pm  #1

U.S. Ratings For Raptors Final Game One Win The Lowest In 10 Yrs.

Twas ever thus - a Canadian team in a major league championship series almost always leads to depressed numbers in the United States. While I'm sure the Raptors numbers are through the roof here (still waiting on the final stats), down south, Game One was the lowest rated final since 2009.

NBA Finals Game 1 Scores Historic Ratings Low & Historic Win For Toronto Raptors

While ABC has publicly stated they simply want a competitive and long series, they clearly aren't happy that one half of the equation is Canada - where the network's ratings don't matter. Not that it was unexpected, as this story from the day before the series began illustrates. 

Blame Canada? Toronto Raptors’ First NBA Finals Appearance Could Drag Down ABC’s TV Ratings

But here's the really weird thing. the ratings in the San Francisco market were also the lowest since the Warriors went on their remarkable run.  According to Sports Business Journal, the Bay area overnight TV ratings tell a tale of their own. 

2019: 26.4
2018: 31.1
2017: 30.9
2016: 32.8
2015: 28.9

While TSN & Sportsnet will be celebrating as long as this goes on, if the first game is any indication, ABC may foul out. 

May 31, 2019 4:41 pm  #2

Re: U.S. Ratings For Raptors Final Game One Win The Lowest In 10 Yrs.

TSN 1050 was #1 last night with a 14.7 share.

May 31, 2019 5:31 pm  #3

Wouldn't surprise me if word-of-mouth bumps up some of those US numbers for Game 2. Too many highlights for the Americans who *did* watch last night. They will tell their friends. Some of those friends will turn it on Sunday night.
What do you think would happen if the Raps win the 2nd one?

May 31, 2019 5:39 pm  #4

mike marshall wrote:

... What do you think would happen if the Raps win the 2nd one?

Trump will probably take to twitter ... 

May 31, 2019 8:28 pm  #5

Numbers were record setting here in We The North: 

Raptors set another NBA broadcast record in Canada

There's one thing about this article that's very strange. It states that TSN is taking games 2, 4, & 6, but that CTV 2 - an OTA free station - will pick up the ABC feed for those same contests. That's very odd, given that it takes away some of TSN's exclusivity. 

It also states that the Fan will have a few games - and seems to say that 680 News may have it as well. Unless they just mean coverage of the game in sports reports and not the play-by-play. I guess we'll see - er, hear.  

May 31, 2019 8:32 pm  #6

ABC will never admit it, but privately they had to be hoping for a Bucks win over the Raptors. While Milwaukee isn't exactly a major market, #8 vs #36 would be better ratings wise for the Alphabet Network than #8 vs #0.

May 31, 2019 8:39 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Numbers were record setting here in We The North: 

Raptors set another NBA broadcast record in Canada

There's one thing about this article that's very strange. It states that TSN is taking games 2, 4, & 6, but that CTV 2 - an OTA free station - will pick up the ABC feed for those same contests. That's very odd, given that it takes away some of TSN's exclusivity. 

It also states that the Fan will have a few games - and seems to say that 680 News may have it as well. Unless they just mean coverage of the game in sports reports and not the play-by-play. I guess we'll see - er, hear.  

CTV2 is carrying games 2, 4 and 6 so they can simsub the ABC broadcast.

June 3, 2019 5:39 pm  #8

I wrote:

Wouldn't surprise me if word-of-mouth bumps up some of those US numbers for Game 2. Too many highlights for the Americans who *did* watch last night. They will tell their friends. Some of those friends will turn it on Sunday night.

Didn't happen. Good thing I didn't have anything riding on it,,,in more ways than one, second being the game outcome.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/barack-obama-nba-finals-ratings-down-game-2-warriors-raptors-nba-abc-1202625785/

Drake didn't disappoint, though. He was already standing before the opening tip.

Canadian numbers for TSN/CTV2?

Last edited by mike marshall (June 3, 2019 5:53 pm)

June 4, 2019 5:55 pm  #9

The ratings may be down but across the U.S. games 1 & 2 were the most watched TV program. This from TV by the Numbers::: ABC’s broadcasts of the first 2 games of the NBA Finals took the top 2 spots in the adults 18-49 demo – with matching 4.8 ratings – and in total viewers with 13.88 and 13.38 million viewer audiences, respectively.Meanwhile, the season premiere of NBC’s “America’s Got Talent” was the week’s highest-rated (1.7) and most-watched (9.75 million) non-sports broadcast.