sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 29, 2019 10:13 pm  #1

Here's What Your Tax $$ Are Paying For: CBC-TV Unveils Fall Slate

A Canadian version of Family Feud? It's just one of the many new shows that taxpayers will be footing the bill for this fall on the CBC. I don't think there's a single show listed here that gets my interest. But you have to love this self-serving quote:  

"We are doing this because we are very much a hybrid public broadcaster with wonderful government funding but also rely on our advertising revenue," [said] Sally Catto, general manager of programming for CBC English Television."

I'm not so sure all viewers find that government funding so "wonderful." And I'm pretty sure conventional broadcasters aren't happy about them also getting additional ad revenue.

CBC talks ad-friendly TV strategy with new series 'Family Feud Canada,' 'Battle of the Blades'

May 30, 2019 12:12 am  #2

Re: Here's What Your Tax $$ Are Paying For: CBC-TV Unveils Fall Slate

Shut it down. 

May 30, 2019 3:31 am  #3

cash wrote:

Shut it down. 

Not gonna happen! I LOVE what CBC is doing. I hope Family Feud does really well for them.
Finally something good on CBC worth watching. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

May 30, 2019 7:20 am  #4

Well the Mother Corporation does have to replace all that ad revenue lost from HNIC. I will probably tune into Family Feud Canada out of curiosity. However, like you RA, there isn't anything new that is remotely interesting to me. When it comes to the CBC, "most" of my tax dollars are not working. The only shows aired by the CBC that I watch religiously are Coronation Street and Market Place. Outside of  HNIC, I suspect Corrie has the highest numbers on a weekly basis of all CBC programming. For years the CBC ran Corrie in mid-afternoon. Someone got the idea to move the series to early evening. The thinking being that maybe the large Corrie audience will stick around for the balance of CBC's primetime schedule. Don't know if it worked, but Corrie still airs at 7:30.