sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2019 8:43 am  #1

The Buffalo Radio Icon Most Have Never Heard Of

What a difference a signal makes between being a well known radio voice and having only a smaller audience with any idea of who you are. I came across this article from a local Lockport newspaper, comparing a talk show host named Tom Darro to Buffalo legend John Otto. 

That's high praise indeed, but Tom who? Turns out he works for WJJL Niagara Falls, N.Y. and the columnist is effusive in his plaudits for the guy. Most of us have never heard him since the station is on 1440 AM and is all but shut out in Toronto by CHKT, the Fairchild Chinese language outlet at 1430. The place is something of an anomaly these days - they have a not-updated-since-March Facebook page, no web page that I can find and no way to listen online. 

Anyway, here's the tribute to the apparently terrific Mr. Darro, whose talents we're unlikely to be able to sample unless he moves somewhere else. 

Tuned in to a real radio icon  

May 27, 2019 9:24 am  #2

Re: The Buffalo Radio Icon Most Have Never Heard Of

The next time I have to travel to Oakville, I will check the show out. WJJL has a reasonably good daytime signal there. I too wish they had online listening capabilities. The station has an extremely wide and varied oldies playlist.