sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 24, 2019 8:08 pm  #1

What Happens When One Station's Signal Interferes With Another?

You don't hear much about this very often, which is why this story was so interesting to me. A small station in Connecticut recently became embroiled in a battle with a fellow FM-er in Long Island, after alterations to a tower began to obliterate one of the station's signals. 

Here's the weird tale, along with what comes next and the still unanswered question of who blinks first? Sometime SOWNY contributor Scott Fybush is among those asked for comments. 

Connecticut radio station involved in signal dispute with Long Island broadcast outlet

These things don't happen a lot, but I well remember all the hoops Rogers had to go through to get what was then known as CHFI-AM off 1540 and onto 680. And then there's this dispute involving WBEN-AM, which took place way back in 1961.

May 25, 2019 11:08 am  #2

Re: What Happens When One Station's Signal Interferes With Another?

Rogers had to pay all the technical costs to move CHLO from 680 to 630 as I recall. When CHFI moved to 680 they still had to contend with WNYR which at the time was a daytimer in Rochester. I think CHFI had a daytime null to the east then. When Rogers wanted an increase in power to 50000 watts, they arranged and paid for WNYR's [now WDCX] move to 990 with full 24 hour operation. I think that was around 1988. I am sure that would have cost a few bucks.

May 25, 2019 4:31 pm  #3

Re: What Happens When One Station's Signal Interferes With Another?

Actually, CHLO moved from 680 to 1570. Chatham's CFCO has been on 630 for many years.