sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2019 9:26 pm  #1

Someone Call John Oakley: Trump Pardons Conrad Black

Well, now I can't wait to hear this Friday's 4:30 PM segment with the former publisher on GNR640. Although the pardon didn't come in time for him to avoid spending time in the hoosegow, so there's that.

Trump grants full pardon to former media baron Conrad Black  

May 15, 2019 9:40 pm  #2

Re: Someone Call John Oakley: Trump Pardons Conrad Black

I guess all that tRump praise paid off big time. Conrad Black is on the A-List with Sheriff Joe now. Cream rises?

May 16, 2019 12:09 am  #3

There's fodder for radio and late night television in this story....

and it sounds like something Tim and Sid from Sportsnet would use as one of their "bits".
"_____________ is like getting pardoned by President Trump."

"Getting pardoned by President Trump is...like winning a Stanley Cup playoff game by getting a goal in OT from a hand pass. The end result is great, it's how it happened that'll haunt you."

"I'd rather be pardoned by President Trump."

I'll be listening to John and Conrad Black this week without fail. Do you think they'll discuss Alabama, Georgia and Ohio? ;)

Last edited by betaylored (May 16, 2019 12:32 am)

May 16, 2019 6:38 am  #4

"I always try to take success like a gentleman and reversals like a man" -- C. Black, May 15, 2019

May 17, 2019 5:15 am  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

It's a great day for Conrad Black. 

. . . and for Mr. J. Oakley (5:30 yesterday).    Watch for the pair of them celebrating @ High Street fish 'n chips today noon

May 17, 2019 1:34 pm  #6

They must have decided to celebrate @ Harbour Steak House instead

May 17, 2019 2:47 pm  #7

For all his faults, Oakley can certainly turd polish.

May 17, 2019 3:41 pm  #8

Some here may like to know that Conrad and his older brother, Montegu, through their Argus Corp, at one time had controlling interests in major Canadian corporations, including Standard Broadcasting, owners of CFRB, CJAD (Montreal) and CJOH (Ottawa).

May 17, 2019 4:31 pm  #9

No Johnny and Conrad today. Alex Pierson is sitting in.

May 17, 2019 6:13 pm  #10

So I guess that means Black's greatest crime now is that time he stole the pension fund of his workers at Dominion. 

Last edited by Hansa (May 17, 2019 6:13 pm)

May 17, 2019 9:13 pm  #11

It's musical chairs (mics? Mike's?) at 640.

Kelly was away this week, and Peter Shurman was stealth teaching listeners interesting things about current affairs without making it painful.

Heather Purdon was back during the Stafford featuring Shaggy Dave while Supriya is on mat leave show, and Mike, Heather and Dave (pretty sure it was Dave) were at their laid back more pop culture than politics chatty best today.

I also enjoyed listening to John Oakley earlier this week.

Conrad Black is quite fascinating. If you didn't know he is an actual person, and someone was to describe him, or you read a profile on him, you'd swear he was a character out a novel. Kinda like Trump.

Last edited by betaylored (May 17, 2019 9:23 pm)

May 18, 2019 7:08 am  #12

milton wrote:

No Johnny and Conrad today. Alex Pierson is sitting in.

C. Black & J. Oakley left the studio at 3:00, for a good vantage point in Jurassic Park

May 18, 2019 10:43 am  #13

LocalNewsGuy wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Conrad Black's legacy will live on....

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/i-prosecuted-conrad-black-and-this-presidential-pardon-is-a-mockery-of-justice

a disgusting pardon by a disgusting president ....

May 20, 2019 5:44 pm  #14

g121 wrote:

LocalNewsGuy wrote:

Chrisphen wrote:

Conrad Black's legacy will live on....

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/i-prosecuted-conrad-black-and-this-presidential-pardon-is-a-mockery-of-justice

I think you meant to say A well-deserved pardon for an innocent man and class act.

Your Black Derangement Syndrome is even worse than its Trump variant, and indicative only of distaste for one of the finest men in the history of this country, as well as wilful ignorance of the facts.

May 20, 2019 10:00 pm  #15

g121 wrote:

milton wrote:

I think you meant to say A well-deserved pardon for an innocent man and class act.
Your Black Derangement Syndrome is even worse than its Trump variant, and indicative only of distaste for one of the finest men in the history of this country, as well as wilful ignorance of the facts.

Coughtrollcough

May 21, 2019 9:42 am  #16

This best of seven series stands at two Toronto Star supporters v. one National Post supporter.     Step right up folks and vote.     Polls close at 7:00.       

May 21, 2019 8:15 pm  #17

milton wrote:

I find it amusing that those of us still in possession of a sense of ethics and justice are labelled as having a syndrome. I know, I know. It's the 21st Century - ethics and justice are so old school.