sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 15, 2019 5:45 am  #1

4 in 5 Canadians want the Feds to maintain or increase CBC Funding

A new poll shows that most Canadians want the Federal Government to maintain or even increase funding to the CBC...I know a few of the board members here might roll their eyes at the results of the poll...but I tend to agree, I think the CBC has done a good job of delivering relevant content and also going after both the Millennial market and the Boomer/Seniors market as well, with news, music, entertainment and some popular TV shows like Schitt's Creek and Kim's Convenience...

Here is more on the story and the actual poll results!

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/05/13/nearly-80-of-canadians-want-cbc-funding-increased-or-maintained-poll/

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (May 15, 2019 8:10 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

May 15, 2019 7:11 am  #2

Re: 4 in 5 Canadians want the Feds to maintain or increase CBC Funding

Your title says the opposite of the results and your own text body. If 1 in 5 were in favour of maintaining or expanding the CBC's budget, that would mean 4 in 5 aren't.

That said, I'm sceptical of any survey paid for by an advocacy group that gets the exact results said advocacy group would be looking for. They've also combined Radio-Canada and CBC. I'm not a fan of that because Radio-Canada is far more relevant to French Canadians than CBC is to English Canadians. The two might share a budget, but otherwise, they're completely separate. Given the survey was able to break down responses from Bloc voters, my guess is that a not unsubstantial amount of respondents were from Quebec. Skimming through the report itself, I don't see any provincial breakdown.

Some of the questions also seem to be lacking context. There's a part where the majority of those surveyed agreed that OTT platforms should be forced to pay into the same programs and initiatives that the incumbents do. Would there be the same amount of support for that if the respondents were told it would likely result in higher bills for them? I suspect not.

I also find the idea of the government threatening syndicators for "fake news" very Orwellian. You know that will only further encourage established media empires. 

May 15, 2019 8:10 am  #3

Re: 4 in 5 Canadians want the Feds to maintain or increase CBC Funding

Retaw, the article states this...

A new poll suggests Canadians are largely in favour of maintaining or increasing funding for the CBC, though Conservative voters are far less enthusiastic of supporting the country’s public broadcaster.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...