sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2019 12:36 am  #1

Newstalk 1010 Changing Their Weekend Lineup: Touchdown or Fumble?

John Moore is no longer doing his weekend interview show "Conversations". Now Blair Packham and Bob Reid, co-hosts of "In The Studio" on Saturday evenings have announced on Facebook they've been told by the radio station that after over a decade on-air, last week's show was to be the final episode ever. Their (Blair and Bob's) wording in part: "weekend programing is being rearranged." It's official, Saturday and Sunday on Newstalk 1010 are 'under construction'.

I understand why John Moore has decided to stop devoting the enormous time and energy required to put together "Conversations" however sometimes the changes at Newstalk are puzzling. (sidebar: I still fail to understand what the management thinking was behind reducing the highly entertaining Bob Reid segment "Touchdowns and Fumbles" on Fridays at just before the noon hour on Jerry Agar's show. There are (almost) more public relations experts than radio hosts or news reporters on Newstalk these days, and Bob Reid is one of the, if not the best of the PR bunch.)

The weekend lineup has had some excellent offerings: the Alec Baldwin and Marc Maron shows, quite a few of the TED talks episodes, and depending on the strength of the guest list, "In The Studio" and "Conversations" could deliver some unique insight on new and familiar artists.

Anybody know if the new weekend sound is, to use hockey terminology, a rebuild, or just a refresh? Guess we'll have to wait and see... and pray the new programs are not more paid advertising disguised as radio shows.

Last edited by betaylored (May 7, 2019 1:43 am)

May 7, 2019 7:07 am  #2

Re: Newstalk 1010 Changing Their Weekend Lineup: Touchdown or Fumble?

People in the SOWNY region are blessed to have access to numerous broadcast signals and should consider not limiting themselves to the signal grandma always had on in her kitchen

May 7, 2019 9:21 am  #3

Dead Air Ted's Slumber Party remains unmolested?

May 7, 2019 9:31 am  #4

The last time I listened to CFRB at any time on the weekend was when the Motts were doing the early morning show. There is something slightly masochistic I think about listening to those two but I still enjoyed it.

Despite being a weekday refugee from the public broadcaster since the '05 lockout, I find their weekend lineup to be very rich and generally park there until Monday morning.

May 7, 2019 1:22 pm  #5

call me "over the hill" but when i want to listen to a talk show there's nothing like an old fashion.... podcast.

May 7, 2019 3:03 pm  #6

Anyone who thinks it is easy to program radio should listen to the "Oh Wow!" program right here on SOWNY.   A nostalgia show, programmed by the SOWNY elite (requests).   "Let's Limbo Some More" by Chubby Checker was a recent request that was dutifully honored.   Hard to not recall the genius of AM 740's Brian Peroff, after that gem.

May 7, 2019 3:44 pm  #7

geo wrote:

Anyone who thinks it is easy to program radio should listen to the "Oh Wow!" program right here on SOWNY.   A nostalgia show, programmed by the SOWNY elite (requests).   "Let's Limbo Some More" by Chubby Checker was a recent request that was dutifully honored.   Hard to not recall the genius of AM 740's Brian Peroff, after that gem.

i program my own radio station using mp3s on my computer.... it's easy! always the GREATEST mixes of all time!  requests played promptly and dead weight cut in real time.  LOVE the no-commercial weekdays and two-fer tuesdays.

May 7, 2019 4:52 pm  #8

One of my online favourites (next to Dale's Oh Wow, of course) is AccuRadio. It's free, doesn't even require sign up if you don't want to, has endless genres to choose from, and - this is the secret sauce - unlimited free skips. Hate the song that just came on? Skip It and head to the next one. Or the next. Or the next. Eventually, you'll find something you like. 

It claims to have commercials for non-members but in all the years I've used it, I've never heard one. 

There are a ton of sub categories. The Oldies section, for example, offers Feel Good 50s & 60s, 60s & 70s Lite Hits, 1964 Once More, 70s Hits, Bubblegum, Rockabilly, British Invasion, Blue Eyed Soul, Doo-Wop, Easy Listening Oldies, Garage Rock, Disco, Instrumentals, Motown, Cover Tunes, Movie Hits, Novelty Records, One Hit Wonders and West Coast Oldies.

And that's just a partial list.  

AccurRadio Home Page 

May 7, 2019 4:59 pm  #9

I hope Mr. Paterson didn't assume I was criticizing his effort.   On the contrary it was simply an observation that when the lines are left open for input, not all input will sustain an audience (for long)

geo 

May 7, 2019 6:28 pm  #10

geo wrote:

I hope Mr. Paterson didn't assume I was criticizing his effort.   On the contrary it was simply an observation that when the lines are left open for input, not all input will sustain an audience (for long)

geo 

After all these years you can't even spell my last name correctly? 

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

May 7, 2019 6:34 pm  #11

What are the changes ??

May 8, 2019 10:49 pm  #12

I haven't heard much yet about what's coming cash, but here's an idea: Newstalk 1010 did something called "The Spin Doctors" a few months ago, right around the time the SNC Lavalin scandal was going full force. It was a bit like a cross between "Touchdowns and Fumbles" and a roundtable discussion. Wouldn't mind having that make a return on the weekend for 1010.

Wouldn't mind a proper "Touchdowns and Fumbles" returning, this time on the weekend, with two or three public relations experts debating how someone handled something. "Politicians, they're just like US!"

On 1010 on Tuesdays on the Drive's afternoon roundtable discussion, it's always a panel made up entirely of women and it makes a welcome change from the 'manels' that happen regularly. That would be great as a standalone show on Saturday or Sunday.

What kind of weekend shows would you program?

Last edited by betaylored (May 8, 2019 10:54 pm)

May 9, 2019 6:50 am  #13

betaylored wrote:

Before 1010 dumped it a few years ago, the Dr. Joe Schwarcz program from 800 CJAD Montreal was extremely popular.   Joe was Canada's answer to Dr. Oz.   Women in my quilting bee still boycott CFRB on weekends.

Dropping Dr. Joe was a fumble

Last edited by Ms. C. (May 9, 2019 6:52 am)

May 9, 2019 10:26 am  #14

grilled.cheese wrote:

Canada's answer to Dr. Oz isn't a good thing. 

You want to take on SQS (Stayner Quilting Society) members over this?

May 10, 2019 1:18 am  #15

Ms. C. wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Before 1010 dumped it a few years ago, the Dr. Joe Schwarcz program from 800 CJAD Montreal was extremely popular.   Joe was Canada's answer to Dr. Oz.   Women in my quilting bee still boycott CFRB on weekends.

Dropping Dr. Joe was a fumble

I remember hearing Dr. Joe! He had such a great bedside manner that came across the airwaves well. Even back then he would tell people to not give their children antibiotics for anything but an infection, and that human beings should absolutely not take antibiotics for the common cold.

Totally agree with you Ms.C, dropping Dr. Joe was a fumble. By the by, is 'quilting bee' code for ... something else...something that involves 'wine', or 'edibles' or 'scotch sampling'..

May 10, 2019 6:42 am  #16

betaylored wrote:

Totally agree with you Ms.C, dropping Dr. Joe was a fumble. By the by, is 'quilting bee' code for . . . something else . . . something that involves 'wine', or 'edibles' or 'scotch sampling'    

All three of your examples being tolerated by Dr. Joe, when in moderation

Ms. C.

May 10, 2019 7:57 am  #17

Ms. C. wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Totally agree with you Ms.C, dropping Dr. Joe was a fumble. By the by, is 'quilting bee' code for . . . something else . . . something that involves 'wine', or 'edibles' or 'scotch sampling'    

All three of your examples being tolerated by Dr. Joe, when in moderation

Ms. C.

😁 happy 'quilting' Ms. C

May 11, 2019 7:24 am  #18

Dave Trafford announced this morning (and had its host on) that Saturday nights from 7 to 10 pm on Newstalk 1010 will see CTV's Todd van der Heyden's "Viewpoints" show. "Long-form discussion, politics, technology, pop culture", etc.  This show is already available as a podcast and looks like CJAD aired it for a while - plus "We've been in other Bell markets across Canada" says Todd. 

I'm disappointed that we'll lose "In The Studio" with Blair and Bob in this slot, though - maybe they'll start doing their own podcast version of it.

May 11, 2019 10:01 pm  #19

I like "Viewpoints" and it used to air in this area only on CKTB. Turns out it's been moved into the same Saturday night slot on 610, so I'll be curious to find out what the St. Catharines station does to fill that three hour hole come Sunday. Unless they just reroll it. 

May 12, 2019 9:40 am  #20

Caplansky's food show has also been cancelled.