sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 26, 2019 7:15 am  #1

USA Today Job Study shows radio jobs in the bottom tier

This is not necessarily true in my belief, but radio industry jobs ranked near the lowest as far as the recent USA Today list of Worst Jobs to have.

I kind of liked the business...but mind you if you work for BHELL or Rogers...maybe not so much.

Fred Jacobs, shares the details of this survey in his recent blog post.

Comments are welcome...personally, I think radio is a ton of fun and if you can land a gig, just enjoy it.

https://jacobsmedia.com/take-this-radio-job-and-shove-it/

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

April 26, 2019 9:52 am  #2

Re: USA Today Job Study shows radio jobs in the bottom tier

Working at USA Today is definitely worse than working in radio

April 26, 2019 10:29 am  #3

"I am the God of Hellfire..."

April 26, 2019 2:49 pm  #4

speaking of job security and longevity...how about Tony Monaco (CIDC-FM).   Now that guy has been there since 1994!  

April 26, 2019 3:58 pm  #5

After getting fired for the 3rd time in 2007 after 10 years in the industry I said 'screw this"...I've had 2 opportunities to go back since then but I looked at my wife and kids and said 'I don't need that bullshit anymore'.

April 26, 2019 5:19 pm  #6

Johnny B wrote:

After getting fired for the 3rd time in 2007 after 10 years in the industry I said 'screw this"...I've had 2 opportunities to go back since then but I looked at my wife and kids and said 'I don't need that bullshit anymore'.

Fired is a bit of a catch-all for losing one's job, which can happen for multiple reasons - poor employee performance as well as poor company performance, poor economy, etc... Unless you really stank the joint, it might be more precise to say laid off, or something like that - when not booted out for performance reasons.

Certainly laid off is how I'd describe my own demise at a small daily newspaper when four reporters were let go in 1992 in a round of cutbacks due in part to failures in the newspaper business. In journalism, and likely in some other professions, the one exception to this rule happens in the bar or when talking to journalism students. Because in my own case it was pure economics, I could never truthfully trumpet that old badge of honour, that I've been fired for committing good journalism.

Anyhow, I decided then and there, in the moment itself, to go solo and freelance. It's afforded me job security ever since. 

April 27, 2019 8:59 am  #7

As a manager I was told by the corporate bosses to use the phrase "restructuring". When I "restructured" more human beings out of their livelihoods than I had ever hired, I asked to be "restructured" myself and have never looked back. 

April 27, 2019 3:18 pm  #8

LocalNewsGuy wrote:

Johnny B wrote:

Precisely. Fun don't feed the family.

At least CKNT offers ... oh never mind ...

April 28, 2019 7:03 am  #9

The local (Stayner, ON) collegiate offers vocational courses in (for example) carpentry & cabinet making.     Prospective employers (high-end cottage & ski chalet builders) line up to hire graduates but after a week are often told "this isn't for me" and graduates resign (you can't renovate a kitchen while staring at a smart phone - who knew?)

Last edited by Kilgore (April 28, 2019 7:09 am)