sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 16, 2019 6:00 pm  #1

CFRB Nooz?

I had 1010 on for a bit today on the drive home and couldn't help but notice that the top-of-the-hour news was injected with a beyond generous amount of editorialising. There was the Doug Ford feltching (expected since he is a former station asset), but I was most surprised by their take on the Sidewalk Labs - CCLU lawsuit - it was being framed as a fun new money-making innovation being menaced by spoilsport lawyers. Does Bell have money in Sidewalk Labs?

April 23, 2019 9:06 am  #2

Re: CFRB Nooz?

Chrisphen wrote:

I had 1010 on for a bit today on the drive home and couldn't help but notice that the top-of-the-hour news was injected with a beyond generous amount of editorialising. There was the Doug Ford feltching (expected since he is a former station asset), but I was most surprised by their take on the Sidewalk Labs - CCLU lawsuit - it was being framed as a fun new money-making innovation being menaced by spoilsport lawyers. Does Bell have money in Sidewalk Labs?

Was the top of that hour 6:00 pm? I have noticed lately that when Dave McKee does the 6:00 o'clock news, it is drawn out several minutes longer than usual and he engages with the hosts of the Rush (who were fill-ins last week). He does not hold back and his rants are well over the top and IMHO often of dubious intellectual value - calling people idiots, etc. It is the kind of commentary which reveals more about the immaturity of the commentator than anything about the subjects.

April 23, 2019 10:02 am  #3

milton wrote:

Was the top of that hour 6:00 pm?

It was the 5 PM news. Didn't hear any such editorial banter with the Talent. If that is happening it sounds like a huge red flag though.

April 23, 2019 1:06 pm  #4

As a listener and a guy who's been in news for more than three decades, I've had problems with McKee on other fronts. 

For example, you will frequently hear him say something like "Toronto Police summoned NewsTalk 1010 to Headquarters today to tell us the latest on that downtown murder..." 

What's wrong with that? I would argue it's subtly dishonest. CFRB was not "summoned" to the cop shop. Police put out a press release to all media on their website saying 'we have an update on a case and if you want to know about it, show up.' Talk of being "summoned" makes it sound like authorities personally called 1010 and pleaded with them to come. It's misleading and he does it all the time. Worse, there are likely a lot of people who aren't aware of how the process works who might just fall for it. 

Plus, he sometimes uses drop-ins or sound effects for comedic effect or wildly inappropriate metaphors on stories that really should be taken more seriously. It's OK on a kicker, maybe not so good on something controversial out of Queen's Park or on a court case.

As for his 6 PM thing, I rarely hear it, but to be fair, I believe it's billed as both news and commentary on the day's big stories, so the offhand remarks at least fit that marquee.  

Anyway, that's my two cents on this newscaster, which probably explains why they got rid of the penny in this country! 

Either way, he's likely around to stay - it's my understanding that Brand Director Mike Bendixen is a big fan of his work and recruited him from Montreal to come here. (Or should I say "summoned?")

So he's probably going to remain in that prominent spot for a while to come.

April 23, 2019 2:01 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

What's wrong with that? I would argue it's subtly dishonest. CFRB was not "summoned" to the cop shop.

I suppose it's done to create a notion of exclusivity (along the lines of "You heard it here first"). I'm reminded of CFTR's declarations of being the "Official" radio station of the Vancouver Olympics. Brazen claim when you're thousands of miles from the event.

April 23, 2019 2:24 pm  #6

It erodes trust.

April 23, 2019 2:39 pm  #7

Saul wrote:

It erodes trust.

Correct. I just want facts in the news. Spin, opinion and framing belong elsewhere.

April 23, 2019 3:11 pm  #8

Chrisphen wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

What's wrong with that? I would argue it's subtly dishonest. CFRB was not "summoned" to the cop shop.

I suppose it's done to create a notion of exclusivity (along the lines of "You heard it here first").

That's exactly why he does it I suspect. But while it's technically not dishonest, it's certainly designed to mislead the audience and give them that impression. Some might find that clever. I disagree and it's certainly not what Canada's heritage station should be doing.   

April 23, 2019 4:14 pm  #9

First Batteryless, baby! First Batteryless!

April 23, 2019 8:56 pm  #10

McKee has made me laugh out loud on countless occasions.  I love the asides he throws into his casts.  There's a reason he's in Market #1, kids.

April 23, 2019 11:14 pm  #11

grilled.cheese wrote:

Youse guys get worked up over the smallest things.  It's cute.  Never change.  

Injecting opinion into a newscast when you're supposed to be credible isn't a little thing.  I expect opinion for the other 55 minutes of the hour.  Just give me the news.

April 24, 2019 6:06 am  #12

Team, I wanna let you in on what could potentially be a life altering, game changing piece of information. Ready? You CAN turn off the station if you don't like what you hear. It's ok, the world will still turn and you will get up the next day stronger than ever ready to complain about something else.

If you need a hug, try Tom's Place, he seems like a friendly dude.

April 24, 2019 10:43 am  #13

Big T wrote:

Team, I wanna let you in on what could potentially be a life altering, game changing piece of information. Ready? You CAN turn off the station if you don't like what you hear. It's ok, the world will still turn and you will get up the next day stronger than ever ready to complain about something else.

Broadcasting is a regulated public asset. There are many standards and codes to meet or surpass. NOT mixing opinion when reporting fact is one of them. (I'm talking about conventional news reporting here).
Thus, people get concerned when/if newsreaders cross this line. Ignoring it, as you suggest, will only lead to a dissolution of a longstanding proven convention. It's mandated by the CRTC!

Consider what you might get without it.

McKee is trying to add some personality and 'entertainment' to his job, I get it. Still....

April 24, 2019 10:50 am  #14

Big T wrote:

You're perhaps misunderstanding the point. It has nothing to do with hearing things we don't agree with. I think Prod Guy put it well: "Injecting opinion into a newscast when you're supposed to be credible isn't a little thing. I expect opinion for the other 55 minutes of the hour. Just give me the news." It's about distinguishing between the two. Even if there are nuances such as story or source choice, and such, credible newscasts take considerable efforts to recognize a difference and thoughtfully draw a line.

Last edited by Saul (April 24, 2019 10:51 am)

April 24, 2019 12:38 pm  #15

Things have changed.  The trend is to have people on air who sound like humans, not "announcers".  Remember when a typical CBC radio newscast was dry and totally devoid of any hint of bias?  Sure, you got the facts, but it was boring as hell.

Then the likes of Hesketh, Sinclair and Smythe and others came along adding their own opinions to the mix.  Yes, it was billed as news and opinion but you can't argue its popularity.

Maybe I've become jaundiced but can you really ever get a newscast that doesn't have _any_ bias?  You can't tell me that even today's CBC is completely impartial in its approach.  

I look at them like I do movie and restaurant critics.  You have to know the reviewer, understand their own tastes and remove those overtones to get the information you want.

As for McKee?  I rather like his approach and I really like the 6:00 newscasts.  I may not agree with every opinion but that's not the point.  

April 24, 2019 12:50 pm  #16

McKee has nothing on those who really knew how to do news and commentary. Here's one from a very long time ago, dealing with one of the worst stories from the 70s, as reported by the late, great CFRB newsman Jack Dennett:

Hear it here

And even if you don't agree with me, God it's great to hear that voice again.

April 24, 2019 1:32 pm  #17

That was nothing short of a masterclass.  Wow!

It's not just the delivery, it's the writing.  I was riveted.  Thanks for sharing this.  I think I get your point now.

Unfortunately, I dare say that in this day, you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone like that anywhere.

April 24, 2019 1:49 pm  #18

Yeah, he was a class act and a Canadian icon - who can forget his time on Hockey Night In Canada?

Here's one more sample from RB - from Jan. 1973, the official end to the Vietnam War. 

Jack Dennett on the end of the Vietnam War 

April 24, 2019 5:49 pm  #19

April 24, 2019 6:29 pm  #20

RadioActive wrote:

McKee has nothing on those who really knew how to do news and commentary. Here's one from a very long time ago, dealing with one of the worst stories from the 70s, as reported by the late, great CFRB newsman Jack Dennett:

Hear it here

And even if you don't agree with me, God it's great to hear that voice again.

Wow.  Does this ever take me back to my childhood! 

Our house always had a radio on in the kitchen and it was set (you didn't dare touch the dial) to CFRB.  I grew up listening to these announcers and their styles and gravitas sound as good today as back then.

Thank you RA.

April 24, 2019 10:22 pm  #21

Big T wrote:

Already have.  680 plays it straight and that's all I want.

April 25, 2019 12:08 am  #22

I see Newstalk's 6:00pm news as Coles Notes for people who don't track the news throughout the day, every day.

Depending on the seriousness of the news events that day/week, and the amount of exposition Dave provides, it's a good overview of what's going on in Toronto, and the world.. I (usually) enjoy the chemistry that Dave, Jay, and Ryan have when they mull over the news stories at length, and get opinionated.

The only downside is the ginormous island of ads they have to play after to make up for the ad free time from 6:00 onwards, which is when I switch the station.

Last edited by betaylored (April 25, 2019 12:16 am)

April 25, 2019 7:30 am  #23

grilled.cheese wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Yeah, he was a class act and a Canadian icon - who can forget his time on Hockey Night In Canada?

Here's one more sample from RB - from Jan. 1973, the official end to the Vietnam War. 

Jack Dennett on the end of the Vietnam War 

I  hear personal opinion in that broadcast. 

Yes, his time slot winning 8 AM news was clearly labelled in its intro as "news and comment," although I didn't record that part all those years ago.

But if you compare his style to someone like McKee, the difference in intelligence, the writing and overall tone is clearly superior. This was a man with something to say who knew how to say it. It's not a yearning for nostalgia. He was just one of those talents who stood out in an era when news delivery was, admittedly, very different.

April 25, 2019 8:25 am  #24

RadioActive wrote:

But if you compare his style to someone like McKee, the difference in intelligence, the writing and overall tone is clearly superior. This was a man with something to say who knew how to say it.

What a gigantic pile of horse$hit, RA.  Your comment about McKee's skill set is akin to Leafs fans who claim that the team was better in '67 than they are now.  

April 25, 2019 9:16 am  #25

Well I respectfully disagree. I'm pretty sure if Jack Dennett was around today, he'd be every bit as capable as he was back then. It has nothing to do with the when. It has everything to do with the who. The guy would have been great in any era. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it. He was just great at his job, regardless of the year he did it.

And to use your Leaf metaphor, John Tavares or Auston Matthews would have been terrific whether they played in 1967 or 2019. Just like Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr or Wayne Gretzky would have been fantastic if they were in the NHL now. Talent is talent and it will show in any era.  

That doesn't mean McKee isn't good at his job. I don't always like his style, but the guy's on the biggest talk radio station in Canada, so he must have something going for him. In some ways, he reminds of another guy from an earlier era - Larry Silver, who used to get into a lot of trouble with the CRTC for the way he reported news on CFTR back in the mid-70s.

April 25, 2019 8:29 pm  #26

RadioActive wrote:

Well I respectfully disagree. I'm pretty sure if Jack Dennett was around today, he'd be every bit as capable as he was back then. It has nothing to do with the when. It has everything to do with the who. The guy would have been great in any era. Nostalgia has nothing to do with it. He was just great at his job, regardless of the year he did it.

Exactly.  It's not the era,  but the individual and his abilities to communicate the story in such a manner as to allow the listener to make their own conclusions .

Last edited by Media Observer (April 26, 2019 2:56 pm)

April 26, 2019 12:16 pm  #27

Media Observer wrote:

Exactly.  It's not he era,  but the individual and his abilities to communicate the story in such a manner as to allow the listener to make their own conclusions.

Methinks that those who missed out on "Ontario's Authoritative News Voice", back in the day, will never be able to fully comprehend what that phrase really means.

Last edited by Dial Twister (April 26, 2019 12:16 pm)

April 26, 2019 4:58 pm  #28

Dial[/quote wrote:

Methinks that those who missed out on "Ontario's Authoritative News Voice", back in the day, will never be able to fully comprehend what that phrase really means.

I cannot disagree.  That ship has (sadly) sailed.

June 3, 2020 4:59 pm  #29

Ha ha looks like others have issues with CFRB's Mickey Mouse news approach.

June 3, 2020 5:36 pm  #30

........ Oh sarcasm. Unforgivable. 😆🤫🤯