sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 20, 2019 10:09 am  #1

Will The Simpsons Now Be Forced To Feature Mickey Mouse?

Normally big business deals like this don't get much attention here but this one is huge. The Walt Disney Organization has officially completed its merger/takeover of Fox, for a whopping $71.3 billion. 

Why should you care? It's more consolidation in an industry some would argue has already had more than enough. Plus, I've been following Disney's moves for years and despite its founder's image as a kid friendly guy, the company that bears his name has, in the past, been one of the most ruthless and cutthroat conglomerates I've ever seen. So it now not only owns ABC but also the Fox TV network. (Although Fox News and its sports stations are not part of the deal.)

I wonder how that's good for the industry and viewers overall? I still find it surprising that the government has allowed one entity to own two big over-the-air broadcasters. There are already signs of what's to come. Although it won't affect Canadian viewers - at least not yet - Disney has already announced its own streaming service and now that it has a controlling stake in Hulu, plans to take most of the high profile series off that service and transfer it to its own.

This is, in my mind, not a good thing for broadcasting. But it's the way the biz is going and for those on cable and the satellite in the U.S., get ready for price hikes and to pay more for the stuff you used to get in one place. It's the way of the world, I suppose.

Just not a good way.

What Disney gets - and doesn't get - from the deal

March 20, 2019 10:34 am  #2

Re: Will The Simpsons Now Be Forced To Feature Mickey Mouse?

By the way, not one to ever be caught flatfooted or miss a gag, the Simpsons' Al Jean tweeted the pic below just before the deal was finalized. It was drawn by creator Matt Groening.

March 20, 2019 11:19 am  #3

RadioActive wrote:

. So it now not only owns ABC but also the Fox TV network. (Although Fox News and its sports stations are not part of the deal.)

From the article, they don't actually get the TV network, but rather just the production company.

What doesn’t Disney get? Fox Corp. is a new stand-alone company that comprises of the assets Disney didn’t buy. It includes Fox News, Fox Sports, the Fox Network, and Fox TV stations.

The relationship between the producers and networks is murky and a little confusing. For example, Fox produces Modern Family, but it airs on ABC.

March 20, 2019 12:07 pm  #4

Sorry, you're right. But if they control most of the network's biggest program supplier, it could be argued they also effectively control the network. A lot of what's on Fox comes from 20th Century (or is it 21st now?) Century Fox. It will be interesting to see if the future programming comes from another source now that that financial stake is gone.

Either way, I stand by my original point - having Disney control so much potential programming on both ABC and Fox is not good for the industry. 

My relatives in the U.S. have told me too many times that their cable bill has gone up and up and up. When they ask why, too often the answer has been The Disney Channel and ESPN - both owned by Disney and both on basic cable - have demanded higher rates and it's passed on to the consumer. It's the way they do business and this isn't likely to change anything. It may only make it worse. 

March 20, 2019 3:55 pm  #5

Hey RA you are quite correct about ESPN and Disney Channel south of the border and from what I can discover, they are on basic cable. Don't like sports or children's programming. Tough! You will still pay for it. I found some 2017 per subscriber carriage fees. They are quite a shock. ESPN [main channel only] $7.86/mo. Disney-$1.61. FNC $1.55. CNN .78. MSNBC .26. A&E .33. TCM .33. AMC .50. Many channels are under .30. One advantage we have here is no carriage fee for OTA channels. Just  curious, anyone one know what the per subscriber fee is for TSN and Sportsnet?

March 20, 2019 4:03 pm  #6

It always seems to be Disney causing a lot of these increases, although ESPN admittedly incurs a ton of ever-increasing expenses in sports rights fees. But then maybe it shouldn't be on mandatory basic! (The counter argument is that they wouldn't exist without those forced fees. My response? If you can't sustain yourself with a willing customer base, perhaps that's all you need to know.) 

There are a lot of Americans who don't have young kids and could care less about sports, who are forking over a ton of money every year for expensive stations they don't want or ever watch. It's what makes people hate cable companies - as if they needed more excuses!  

March 21, 2019 11:20 am  #7

On Wednesday night, the day of the Disney takeover of so many things Fox, the network aired a remarkable 90 sec. promo - for itself. It seems to be some kind of message to viewers that though Disney now controls the production arm, the network itself won't be changing. 

My question: how many people in the general public are even aware or care about the deal and are going to tweak into what the promo is for? 

That said, I can't recall anything quite like this happening before when other networks, like NBC and CBS, were taken over.