sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 12, 2019 6:23 pm  #1

Exclusive: Star's Public Editor Responds To The Comics 'Trump F-Bomb'

Just received this forward from my friend Aaron, who wrote to the Star's Public Editor, Kathy English, about the topic of the thread regarding the words "Fuck You Trump," appearing in last Saturday's "Non Sequitur" comic section, a story he first saw on this site.

I think it's great that she actually took the time to reply to his email. I hope she won't mind if I share the response here. (And you won't believe how the artist who drew it says it happened.)

Here's the text of her reply:

-----------------------------------------------

"Thank you for your email. You know,  after almost 12 years as the Star’s public editor, I thought I had seen it all- but this, indeed is a new one.

We have consulted with the company that provides comics to the Star- here is its explanation and the response of the artist.

STATEMENT FROM ANDREWS MCMEEL SYNDICATION:

Regarding the “Non Sequitur” Sunday comic published Feb. 10, containing vulgar language, we are sorry we missed the language in our editing process. If we had discovered it, we would not have distributed the cartoon without it being removed. We apologize to Non Sequitur’s clients and readers for our oversight.

STATEMENT FROM 'NON SEQUITUR' CARTOONIST WILEY MILLER:

When I opened the paper Sunday morning and read my cartoon, I didn’t think anything of it, as I didn’t notice the scribbling that has now caught fire. It wasn’t until later when sharp-eyed readers pointed it out that I remembered doing it, as the cartoon was done about eight weeks ago. I now remember that I was particularly aggravated that day about something the president had done or said, and so I lashed out in a rather sophomoric manner as instant therapy. It was NOT intended for public consumption, and I meant to white it out before submitting it, but forgot to.

Had I intended to make a statement to be understood by the readers, I would have done so in a more subtle, sophisticated manner. This coming Saturday will mark the 27th anniversary of Non Sequitur, and in all that time, I have never done anything like this, nor do I intend to do so in the future.”

I am in discussion now with newsroom editors about whether the Star will publish a note to readers to inform them that this happened. But in the meantime, I wanted you to receive the explanation. Hard to believe that you are the only reader I have heard from on this. Have to say I thought it was some kind of a joke until I delved further.

Such times, we live in!

Best Regards,

Kathy English
Public Editor,
Toronto Star." 

February 12, 2019 8:08 pm  #2

Re: Exclusive: Star's Public Editor Responds To The Comics 'Trump F-Bomb'

Charlie wrote:

The Star will let it slide.  It fits their narrative.

Ms. English accumulates items such as these for her column in the Saturday issue.    Let's wait and see, Charles.   

February 12, 2019 8:45 pm  #3

My friend just forwarded me another email he received that will put an end to this will-they-or-won't-they debate once and for all. 

-------------------------------

"Hi
I am going to do my public editor column on this for Saturday – may I quote from your email and include your name?
Please let me know.
Best,
Kathy."

----------------------------------------
He agreed.

Actually, I'm not surprised. This is a great story - an artist, angry at the president of the U.S., accidentally puts a semi-subliminal foul mouthed message into an internationally syndicated comic strip, forgets to erase it and it gets through every editor at each paper across two countries, only to be caught by some sharp-eyed readers. 

That's an amazing tale and in addition to their mea culpa, because they published it, (albeit unknowingly) it's a very unusual and compelling story. And since they run the strip, only the Star can have it, so it's an exclusive to them in this market. Lots of reasons to go with it!

We'll see what she says about all this on Saturday. 

February 13, 2019 11:44 am  #4

It didn't appear on Saturday, but true to her word, Toronto Star Public Editor Kathy English has published an article on this craziness, outlining how it happened and why the Star published it. I noticed that she pointedly did not say they were dropping the strip, as other newspapers in the States have done. 

Comics page cartoonist draws controversy over vulgar Trump message  

February 13, 2019 6:51 pm  #5

Charlie wrote:

Weak.  The Star will let it slide.  It fits their narrative.

You think the Star should terminate the cartoon, over what seems to have been the first such misstep by a cartoonist in 27 years, because of a single complaint? That's kind of harsh. This isn't radio or TV where swearing might result in losing your license (and even in radio, I don't think a single swear word would result in that). It certainly isn't the first time the word "fuck" was printed in the Toronto Star - though it probably is a first for the funny pages. 

Last edited by Hansa (February 13, 2019 6:54 pm)

February 13, 2019 7:26 pm  #6

My friend heard back from English one last time after the current article was published.

She says "senior executives" at the paper, whoever they may be, will make a decision on the future of the strip for the Star, but for now, it appears it will continue in their comics page. And I'm pretty sure that will be the end of it. 

February 14, 2019 8:48 am  #7

Charlie wrote:

Hansa wrote:

Charlie wrote:

Weak.  The Star will let it slide.  It fits their narrative.

You think the Star should terminate the cartoon, over what seems to have been the first such misstep by a cartoonist in 27 years, because of a single complaint? That's kind of harsh. This isn't radio or TV where swearing might result in losing your license (and even in radio, I don't think a single swear word would result in that). It certainly isn't the first time the word "fuck" was printed in the Toronto Star - though it probably is a first for the funny pages. 

Nope.  Never said I would dump the strip over a stupid vulgarity that got through. 

So you too "would let it slide"? Don't really see what you're complaining about then