sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2019 4:05 pm  #1

Did Y'know about this? CDN Press cuts 15% of it's staff, re:revenue

Yikes, yet more cuts in the world of Canadian Journalism, this time it's Canadian Press, cutting 15 of it's workforce...and citing revenue shortfalls as the main cause.

Here is more on the story...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/canadian-press-layoffs-halifax-atlantic-bureau-1.5011951

Pretty soon, we are all going to be doing podcasts for almost no money, kind of like my first radio gig at CKMP in Midland...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

February 9, 2019 7:44 pm  #2

Re: Did Y'know about this? CDN Press cuts 15% of it's staff, re:revenue

There's always Facebook. We'll be well-informed.

February 10, 2019 8:26 am  #3

What came first, dropping advertising revenue or dropping newspaper sales (v. freebies at coffee shops)?     Which re-raises a recent question: should the federal gov't throw money at newspaper publishers?  And if so, all of them or just certain ones?

February 10, 2019 2:53 pm  #4

It's not a good idea, as this could cause the political party that's handing out the goodies to have undue influence on the editorial content of the publication on the receiving end. Let's face it, if the Liberal Party gives your publication a large payment to keep you afloat, you'll probably go easy on them in your coverage. And you'll want to ensure those payments keep coming, so you'll always be playing nice. It's not very ethical, but that exactly what the LPC is doing now. It sets a bad precedent as other political parties in power might do the same thing, thus affecting editorial integrity forever and more.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (February 10, 2019 3:04 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

February 10, 2019 3:04 pm  #5

Well put.    S-a-a-a-y, could that be the reason TorStar is for it while National Post and the Globe + Mail aren't?

February 10, 2019 7:33 pm  #6

Ms. C. wrote:

Well put.    S-a-a-a-y, could that be the reason TorStar is for it while National Post and the Globe + Mail aren't?

The Toronto Star would lean Liberal with or without financial incentive (but methinks they'll have no trouble taking the loot). The National Post and Globe and Mail properly want to maintain their editorial independence. The Toronto Sun, which is owned by PostMedia, has stated they're not interested in the money. 

February 12, 2019 12:20 am  #7

Something weird was going on with Canadian
Press a couple of weeks ago, when they issued a news report about Unifor buying television advertising during the Superbowl. The report incorrectly stated that Unifor would be buying more ad time for the GOLDEN GLOBES, (already over for this year) when of course they should have said the Academy Awards/Oscars.

Newstalk 1010 and GNR am 640 were on autopilot that day, and must have used the C.P. copy as their source because neither newsroom caught the error during their early morning news breaks, and multiple news readers reported on both talk radio stations that Unifor had plans to advertise during the Golden Globes.

Who knows why this small mix-up slipped by so many people, but it did. It's unusual for C.P., Newstalk 1010, and GNR am 640 to make such a careless mistake.

Copy editors are usually among the first to get cut, was this a fluke, subtle sabotage, or just a sign of the times....

February 12, 2019 1:08 am  #8

betaylored wrote:

Press a couple of weeks ago, when they issued a news report about Unifor buying television advertising during the Superbowl. The report incorrectly stated that Unifor would be buying more ad time for the GOLDEN GLOBES, (already over for this year) when of course they should have said the Academy Awards/Oscars.

Newstalk 1010 and GNR am 640 were on autopilot that day, and must have used the C.P. copy as their source because neither newsroom caught the error during their early morning news breaks, and multiple news readers reported on both talk radio stations that Unifor had plans to advertise during the Golden Globes.

Who knows why this small mix-up slipped by so many people, but it did. It's unusual for C.P., Newstalk 1010, and GNR am 640 to make such a careless mistake.

Copy editors are usually among the first to get cut, was this a fluke, subtle sabotage, or just a sign of the times....

Well, that's just it. When you cut staff to the bone - and in many cases the bone marrow - mistakes will happen despite the best efforts of the best editors. When I left CP in 2010, I couldn't imagine any more staff cuts but there have been plenty. The workload was heavy back then; I can't imagine what it's like now. It must be brutal.

February 13, 2019 2:24 am  #9

Dale Patterson wrote:

betaylored wrote:

Well, that's just it. When you cut staff to the bone - and in many cases the bone marrow - mistakes will happen despite the best efforts of the best editors. When I left CP in 2010, I couldn't imagine any more staff cuts but there have been plenty. The workload was heavy back then; I can't imagine what it's like now. It must be brutal.

I do get that mistakes happen, but this was a large number of news people; writers, and editors on the Canadian Press end of it, plus two entire Toronto radio station newsrooms that didn't catch the error. For that many people to goof up such a simple fact, suggests a serious systemic, dispirited attitude and/or lack of attention.

I agree Dale, it must be brutal, and very discouraging at times to work in journalism these days.

At Harvard university, the Nieman Journalism Lab (part of the Nieman foundation) is studying the future of news, not just in North America, but around the world.

I follow them on Twitter, @NiemanLab (niemanlab.org) and they are a great resource, and tweet lots of articles from their own work, plus retweeting other organizations, and media reports on all aspects of news, and media, some of which is of course good for show prep if you work in radio/television and or newspapers.

Chances are some big yellow boarders already read the Nieman Lab Twitter feed, but I thought I would mention them for those who haven't come across their work yet.

The research they have reported on paywalls is especially eye opening.

Last edited by betaylored (February 13, 2019 3:00 am)

February 13, 2019 2:45 am  #10

question... there seems to be opposition to news media accepting funds from the government.  what if the gov't set up an independent body to receive and then disperse the funds.... say the RTNDA or CAB.... would that be more acceptable?
After all, nobody seems to complain about "bias" at the NFB, FACTOR, or other funds set up to develop canadian perspectives.  (yes i know FACTOR is supported by broadcasters, but only via CRTC mandates)
just thinking out loud.

February 13, 2019 8:22 pm  #11

splunge wrote:

question... there seems to be opposition to news media accepting funds from the government.  what if the gov't set up an independent body to receive and then disperse the funds.... say the RTNDA or CAB.... would that be more acceptable?
After all, nobody seems to complain about "bias" at the NFB, FACTOR, or other funds set up to develop canadian perspectives.  (yes i know FACTOR is supported by broadcasters, but only via CRTC mandates)
just thinking out loud.

The logistics would be bind-moggling, but I'm sure government would be willing to commission a Commission to take a gander....

February 17, 2019 10:55 pm  #12

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

Yikes, yet more cuts in the world of Canadian Journalism, this time it's Canadian Press, cutting 15 of it's workforce...and citing revenue shortfalls as the main cause.

Here is more on the story...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/canadian-press-layoffs-halifax-atlantic-bureau-1.5011951

Pretty soon, we are all going to be doing podcasts for almost no money, kind of like my first radio gig at CKMP in Midland...

This isn't a surprise.  Outside of Toronto hardly any stations pay for "the wire" anymore.  This also means that hardly anyone is contributing to it either.  Everyone just steals copy from other websites and then rewrites it.  The AP in the US cut evening and weekend radio newscasts last year, so wire services are in decline.

Last edited by Prod Guy (February 17, 2019 10:55 pm)