sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2019 8:23 am  #1

Campus radio stations might lose funding if students opt-out of fees

This story flew under the radar this week, but it can affect the future of broadcasting in that a number of people you see in the media, got a start on campus radio...for example when I was at CKLN (along time ago)...Rod Smith (now with TSN), Adam Vaughan and even Maie Pauts worked there too! Oh and Rich Underhill did a morning Jazz Show...

Campus radio gave us a different voice. Students, could express themselves in ways that "traditional radio" wouldn't even touch!

But changes to the business model and fee structure to save University Students money in an already expensive area, might cut off funding campus radio stations get.

Here is a report on what's going on around this issue...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/laurentian-university-lambda-cklu-student-fees-1.4987484

For those of you that are on this chat board, I am curious, how many of you got a start at a campus radio station?

Share away!

Cheers!

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (January 26, 2019 8:24 am)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

January 26, 2019 9:03 am  #2

Re: Campus radio stations might lose funding if students opt-out of fees

Started with a high school co-op placement at Peterborough's Trent Radio (CFFF), and not long after that, as a Loyalist College radio student, began working on-air slots on Belleville's CJLX.

January 26, 2019 9:26 am  #3

CRFM, Ryerson Radio, 1972.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 26, 2019 8:01 pm  #4

I learned to operate a board for the first time at the old University of Toronto Radio on St. George St. - when it was just carrier current, on Rogers cable and pumped on speakers at various places within the downtown university campus. Crazy thing was, I wasn't even a student there. I was still in high school and they were so desperate for volunteers, they accepted almost anyone with an interest in working for free. And as a radio crazed kid-turned-teenager, boy, was I interested!

One my "colleagues" there also became quite famous. The late Kevin Nelson was Jay Nelson's son and he was even younger than I was. But you could tell even then he was going to be a star. He ruled the roost in morning radio in Ottawa for years until his untimely death from liver disease in 2011. 

January 26, 2019 11:10 pm  #5

Never worked at any community station but I recall a few community stations from the 1970's and 80's.

Scarborough college  had a station that broadcast on Wired City Cable. I did not listen much as the programing was rather unremarkable and I was more apt to listen to CHIC FM on cable ( 1975-77). I also remember that on CHEX FM at 101.5 they used to host an album rock segment I believe originating from Trent University on Sundays. That was a station I caught over the air.

Also there was CKRG FM ( Radio Glendon) that broadcast on a cable company in North York and I was disappointed that it was not carried in Scarborough as David Pritchard worked with the station during their bid to get a off air licence around 1980.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 26, 2019 11:29 pm  #6

Did a show at CFFF when it was on 96.3 (now 92.7) called From Cover to Cover Up (about mass media).

Did a show called caffeine Free, talk-interview, about all sorts of topics. Was also on station board of directors for a few years.

Didn't prep me for anything in the literal sense of things - I work as a print journalist. But made me more adept at the interview. It was not always professional quality. But it was a lot of fun. Would structure it all differently if I were to go back... 

January 27, 2019 12:51 am  #7

"From us to you in Waterloo - CKMS FM"

It was fun but that was the start and end of my "radio career".

January 27, 2019 8:09 am  #8

Took a broadcasting course at Trent Radio some 30 years ago. Then, it only got air time on CFMP [now the Wolf] each Sunday night.

Last edited by andysradio (January 27, 2019 8:10 am)