sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 24, 2018 5:23 pm  #271

Re: The Songs Oldies Radio Forgot

Dial Twister wrote:

You can hear Brook Benton and Dinah Washington bickering at the 2:17 mark of "A Rockin' Good Way." Dinah: "Stay out of my spot."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saqmo1n2E7U

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 24, 2018 5:23 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 24, 2018 6:17 pm  #272

As a Christmas gift to my small but loyal listenership, I've eliminated the annoying and repetitive commercials. It'll be commercial-free from now on. It costs a little more but it sounds so much better.

December 24, 2018 10:09 pm  #273

Well this thread is getting so big that it might collapse but I thought of another song. I posted earlier today about my first listen to CHUM FM and hearing Bluebird by the great Buffalo Springfield. That song charted  in some markets but not on the CHUM chart. 

There was a song which did chart on CHUM during the summer of 1968. Mrs Bluebird by Eternity's Children. An exceptional slice of sunshine pop with a great psychedelic guitar break.  Eternity's Children later morphed into Starbuck who are responsible for the guilty pleasure of Moonlight Feels Right.

Mrs Bluebird however is a bonafide hidden gem:

Last edited by Fitz (December 24, 2018 10:10 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 24, 2018 10:21 pm  #274

Dale Patterson wrote:

As a Christmas gift to my small but loyal listenership, I've eliminated the annoying and repetitive commercials. It'll be commercial-free from now on. It costs a little more but it sounds so much better.

I'm not going to speak for anyone else, as I'm sure they will soon speak for themselves. What you're doing is pretty damn cool - and that's an understatement.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Dale!

Cheers

December 25, 2018 12:35 am  #275

DeepTracks wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

I'm not going to speak for anyone else, as I'm sure they will soon speak for themselves. What you're doing is pretty damn cool - and that's an understatement.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Dale!

Cheers

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

December 25, 2018 11:00 am  #276

DeepTracks wrote:

What you're doing is pretty damn cool

What Deep Tracks said goes for me too

December 25, 2018 12:03 pm  #277

Kilgore wrote:

What Deep Tracks said goes for me too

I'm climbing aboard the thank you train, Dale.

December 25, 2018 12:11 pm  #278

All I can say to Dale about his successful idea is, "Oh Wow!"

Keep it up in 2019.  

December 25, 2018 1:25 pm  #279

Thank you Dale !

Here's one that crossed over from FM to reach # 29 on Billboard in 1972 so it was played on Top 40. Have not heard it on the radio for years but I guess some classic rock stations must have played it but not much :in these parts. Yes off shoot band that I see DeepTracks linked for a different track:

and here's one that was a Yes rip pure and simple, got a lot of FM airplay but I was surprised when I checked just now that it did not make Billboard at all:

Last edited by Fitz (December 25, 2018 1:25 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 25, 2018 8:49 pm  #280

A little late, but in the spirit of the season, a former CHUM staffer had this hit in 1964.

December 25, 2018 9:00 pm  #281

Claude King's cover of this song turned it into a hit; a hit you likely haven't heard for decades. 

But things were hopping in 1962. Enough that an answer song suddenly appeared. 

December 25, 2018 9:05 pm  #282

Here's an answer song to Roger Miller's smash "King of the Road."

It was by Jody Miller (no relation) and was called "Queen of the House." It managed to make it to #12 on Billboard. 

I can only imagine how it would go down in this more enlightened era.

December 25, 2018 9:51 pm  #283

Answer records are a lost art (although it could be argued so-called "diss tracks" in rap music are an unfortunate successor these days.)

Here are two other classics that "answered" an original hit. 

Damita Jo scored a #12 spot in 1961 with a response to Ben E. King's classic "Stand By Me," with a tune called "I'll Be There."

A group called The Spokesmen took issue with the depressing lyrics of Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction" and issued a far more optimistic version called "Dawn of Correction." It reached #36.

December 26, 2018 10:22 am  #284

Probably, if not the first, one of the first answer records was 1953's Bear Cat by Rufus Thomas which answered Big Mama Thornton's Hound Dog. I found a website called everyhit.com which has a vast list of answer records. It is a British website so it only includes songs which made the top 40 overseas. I discovered that there were two answer records to Napoleon XIV's 1966 hit They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha Ha. Josephine XV did I'm Happy They Took You Away Ha Ha and Teddy & Darrell did a highly disturbing tune called They Took You Away, I'm Glad, I'm Glad. Neither of these charted on the Hot 100 or the Bubbling Under chart.

December 26, 2018 10:36 am  #285

There was Leader of the Laundromat by the Detergents which actually made the top 30 and I like all the Weird Al parodies/answers like Eat it and Yoda.

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 26, 2018 11:15 am  #286

mace wrote:

I discovered that there were two answer records to Napoleon XIV's 1966 hit They're Coming To Take Me Away, Ha Ha. Josephine XV did I'm Happy They Took You Away Ha Ha and Teddy & Darrell did a highly disturbing tune called They Took You Away, I'm Glad, I'm Glad. Neither of these charted on the Hot 100 or the Bubbling Under chart.

Not sure about the Teddy & Darrell one, but it probably won't surprise anyone here that I actually have the only Napoleon XIV album ever put out. As some here know, the flip side of the 45 of "They're Coming To Take Me Away" was the song played backwards. (I've relayed this here before, but as a kid I once stumbled onto CJBC playing the backward version and thought they'd released it in French!)

That same reverse version is listed on the album cover, but it's not actually on there. Instead, that's where the Josephine answer song is, the very last song on the LP. Which makes that a very strange anomaly. Most answer records were put out by someone else, sometimes on a different label. This is the only one I know of that was put out on the same album as the hit.

December 26, 2018 12:28 pm  #287

Hey RA, The Teddy & Darrell song They Took You Away, I'm Glad, I'm Glad is on a 1966 LP they recorded entitled "These Are The Hits, You Silly Savage"

December 26, 2018 12:46 pm  #288

And on the Internet, apparently!

Man is that painful to listen to! What most people don't realize is that the original song was actually about a man who went insane when his dog left him. It had nothing to do with a person, let alone a woman. (That explains the line in the original Napoleon XIV lyrics about "you mangy mutt!")

So none of these answer records actually make any sense. But then again, neither did the tune that inspired them!

Last edited by RadioActive (December 26, 2018 1:03 pm)

December 26, 2018 6:01 pm  #289

Right in the sweet spot...just a bit over 2 minutes...leave 'em wanting more.

December 27, 2018 2:47 pm  #290

Well that was weird! I added a new post and it seems to have disappeared.

Hi Fitz. I would have linked to that FLASH song but thought it to be too long for Dale's liking. Perhaps, Dale, you could tell 'us' if you have any limitations. Your answer may affect my last song below.

While I'm here....here's some varying shades of "purple"

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 27, 2018 2:50 pm)

December 27, 2018 6:16 pm  #291

Oh yeah...

Here's Robbie Lane and The Disciples with a 1964 cover.

And, here's the original from 1959.

Last edited by Dial Twister (December 27, 2018 6:22 pm)

December 27, 2018 8:26 pm  #292

Two songs I always thought were purposely recorded to get played on CKLW. At first, I thought Copper Penny were from Detroit. Then, when no other US stations besides WTAC were playing "Poor Man's Throne," I knew they were Canadian. "These Eyes" by Junior Walker, Motown artist (actually, on the "Soul" label) w a Canadian song, couldn't miss on the Big 8. They played it for years & years --

December 27, 2018 8:36 pm  #293

Hard to believe there are at least two Four Tops songs that fit this category. Just about everything they did flew right to the top of the charts. But these songs never get played.

Are You Man Enough hit #15 on Billboard in 1973.

Keeper Of The Castle was a #10 smash a year earlier. Another never played hit by one of Motown's greatest male vocal groups. 

December 28, 2018 2:45 am  #294

RadioActive wrote:

Hard to believe there are at least two Four Tops songs that fit this category. Just about everything they did flew right to the top of the charts. But these songs never get played.

Are You Man Enough hit #15 on Billboard in 1973.

Keeper Of The Castle was a #10 smash a year earlier. Another never played hit by one of Motown's greatest male vocal groups. 

Just added "Are You Man Enough" as song #800 on the playlist.

December 28, 2018 9:09 am  #295

DeepTracks I just saw your post on the purple tracks. Perhaps this one will fit. I never heard it when it hit the charts but grabbed a copy in the 1980's as I had heard about the record. Was the first chart entry by Norman Greenbaum.

Also re the length of the Flash track since it was top 40. There must have been a top 40 edit and it's possibly on the Rhino's " Have a Nice Day" 1970's series.

Last edited by Fitz (December 28, 2018 9:50 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 28, 2018 12:49 pm  #296

The Miracles song that fits. From 1974, after the classic Motown period. The classic Smokey / Miracles songs, even "My Girl," are okay (I hear them so often on normal oldies radio that they're like wallpaper). This one is great. A huge CKLW hit. BTW it's Billy Griffin, not Smokey, singing lead --

December 28, 2018 12:51 pm  #297

A little more 'Canadiana' content is always good...

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 28, 2018 12:56 pm)

December 28, 2018 1:16 pm  #298

Okay, before I begin, I admit that this one may be a stretch. But, it did chart at #35 on the U.S. Top 40, a year after Dion first made it a hit in 1968, hitting #1 on Canada's RPM 100.

Those of you unfamiliar with Moms Mabley are in for a real treat (or shock). Choose your medicine wisely. 

Meanwhile, as we wrap up a difficult year, what better time to remind us of the original?

December 28, 2018 2:43 pm  #299

Right up Oh Wow!'s street, Dale.

December 28, 2018 2:55 pm  #300

Here's another of Phil Spector's productions. Spector shared writing credits with Toni Wine and Irwin Levine. This was "Sonny Charles and The Checkmate Ltd's" only major singles hit, reaching #8 on the R&B Chart, and #13 on the Billboard Pop Chart in 1969.

Also, reached #74 on RPM's Top 100 in Canada for 1969.

Last edited by Dial Twister (December 28, 2018 3:04 pm)