sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2018 10:03 pm  #1

TSN 1150 Hamilton

Iconic 1150 frequency destroyed, for what?

Tax issues to benefit K-Lite?

Worst performing TSN station in Canada with near non existent ratings

December 19, 2018 10:15 pm  #2

Re: TSN 1150 Hamilton

The 'frequency' is exactly the same as it always was. It's a measurement; it can't be destroyed. Getting attached to a number is silly.

December 19, 2018 10:27 pm  #3

That, makes as much sense as what Bell is doing.

December 19, 2018 10:30 pm  #4

DRTJO wrote:

Worst performing TSN station in Canada with near non existent ratings

Bell is a huge company. It's not Mr. Little guy just trying to earn an honest living running a radio station anymore.
1150 is a pure tax write off and nothing more than that today.

Here, this should better explain things:

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 19, 2018 10:33 pm  #5

What Bell is doing is using a radio station not for its traditional individual ratings=revenue=profit model, but part of a bigger picture branding, rights, and sales clearance play. While the station on its own is most certainly operating at a loss, it's a drop in the bucket for TSN, and especially Bell overall.

December 19, 2018 10:35 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

No, it doesn't work that way. You can't just intentionally create an unprofitable product that allows some tax "write-off" that is magically profitable to the company as a whole. 

December 19, 2018 10:57 pm  #7

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

No, it doesn't work that way. You can't just intentionally create an unprofitable product that allows some tax "write-off" that is magically profitable to the company as a whole. 

1150 is either a tax write off or a total failure regardless. 
Such a shame.
& it's not intentionally unprofitable if Ti Cats are factored in...unless they deliberately overpaid for those rights also.
To get back to my point, 1150 & 1050 were once rivals...different markets, but still rivals. Now it is the same company. Years ago, the owner of 1150 worked hard to make music work.
Bell just doesn't give a crap.

I'd rather hear some timeless classic country on 820 AM (also owned by Bell) than the crap that's there now, but it's not about me.
Nice to know the demand is heavy for something funny on 820.

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 19, 2018 11:02 pm)

December 19, 2018 11:03 pm  #8

It's not necessarily a failure if they were able to monetize the TiCats and Leafs broadcasts locally -- two deals that wouldn't initially be ratings dependant. And again, if Bell believes this station has had any overall positive impact to the TSN brand versus the Sportsnet brand, they may count it as a win. The ratings are irrelevant. 

December 19, 2018 11:09 pm  #9

RadioAaron wrote:

It's not necessarily a failure if they were able to monetize the TiCats and Leafs broadcasts locally -- two deals that wouldn't initially be ratings dependant. And again, if Bell believes this station has had any overall positive impact to the TSN brand versus the Sportsnet brand, they may count it as a win. The ratings are irrelevant. 

Your point is stronger if there is a Rogers owned AM that could have easily gone Sportsnet Hamilton.
CHML had the Ti Cats for years. Corus either did not bid or were heavily outbid for the rights.
It doesn't even explain why 820 is a comedy station when there are other options out there, including classic country, unless tax write off is all they are doing.

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 19, 2018 11:13 pm)

December 19, 2018 11:13 pm  #10

No, because it wouldn't be be about whether Sportsnet Hamilton could beat TSN Hamilton.  Bell had an advantage where they could extend their national brand to Hamilton, where Rogers could not easily. 

December 19, 2018 11:16 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

It doesn't even explain why 820 is a comedy station when there are other options out there, including classic country, unless tax write off is all they are doing.

Classic Country and Comedy are probably equal in terms of ratings. It's not a tax-write off, it's keeping the lights on in case of any future regulatory or technological change that pumps new value into the license. 

December 19, 2018 11:24 pm  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Classic Country and Comedy are probably equal in terms of ratings. It's not a tax-write off, it's keeping the lights on in case of any future regulatory or technological change that pumps new value into the license. 

The difference is that they HAD a country audience on 820. They flushed it out. They should have kept the classic country format (or a variety country that has classics, not just New Country)
There was no reason to go all comedy. 

December 19, 2018 11:30 pm  #13

They flushed out an audience that couldn't be monetized because they were too old. (I think that's BS, but it's the way it is)

Also, and admittedly I'm not sure if I'm 100% correct here, but comedy is a bit of a loophole where you're not paying the SOCAN and other music rights fees you would be with a music format. So your costs to run comedy are lower than any music format. 

Last edited by RadioAaron (December 19, 2018 11:31 pm)

December 19, 2018 11:41 pm  #14

RadioAaron wrote:

Also, and admittedly I'm not sure if I'm 100% correct here, but comedy is a bit of a loophole where you're not paying the SOCAN and other music rights fees you would be with a music format. So your costs to run comedy are lower than any music format. 

Sounds pretty accurate to me. There's the answer, along with no need to worry about Can Con if there is a batch of parody music that happens to air. 

Back to 1150, Because they do have actual sports content (Ti cats etc) they are at least doing something useful.

Last edited by Radiowiz (December 19, 2018 11:44 pm)

December 20, 2018 1:28 am  #15

has anyone here actually seen the financial spreadsheets?  Maybe they are operating at a loss, in which case, the company as a whole can use this individual station as tax leverage.  or maybe they are utilizing corporate synergies and transferring costs in order to make it look profitable.

has anyone here seen the financial figures?  ratings don't mean a thing if you can still turn a buck on your meager listenership.  it's a bulk buy with other, more ratings friendly properties in the cluster, or specifically targeted at the dashboard-pounding sports fan.

December 20, 2018 9:55 am  #16

If they were going to do this anyway, I never really understood why they didn't reverse the process. Make 820 the TSN station and put Comedy on 1150. The 820 frequency has nominally better propagation and outside of the symmetry of both TSN outlets ending in "50" it might have been a better bet. 

I do agree with what's been stated here. Funny 820 costs them absolutely nothing. It's essentially a computer going non-stop in some room somewhere. It needs no announcers (beyond interstitials from Mike Nabuurs who works there in other capacities) plays no music and is a turnkey operation. And unlike the now defunct CKSL 1410 in London, it doesn't come with expensive baggage that will cost them money to fix. So where's the downside for Bell?

I personally like aspects of Funny 820. I tune in when every other station goes to commercials at the same time (why are all the format clocks exactly the same at both Bell and Corus -  breaks at :15, :30, and :45 every hour?) and it makes it easier to avoid those Tom Mihalik and aggravating Participaction ("text better, feel better, sex better" ad nauseam) spots.

December 20, 2018 10:56 am  #17

I wouldn't say the costs are "zero." The hydro bill to power a 50 kW AM transmitter (even if you drop it to 10 kW at night) is still substantial, four or maybe even five figures a month. The transmitter site needs at least minimal maintenance. There are administrative expenses to maintain logger recordings and prepare the annual report to the CRTC. 

I'd be very surprised to find out that the fixed costs to keep 820 on the air are lower than $100,000 or so a year. Maybe even higher. 

December 20, 2018 11:12 am  #18

But you'd have to admit that's a drop in the bucket compared to any other format. When I say it costs them nothing it means a relatively small amount compared to their other formats. Certainly it has almost no employees, hence no real salaries or benefits, which makes up the bulk of a station's costs on an annual basis.

December 20, 2018 11:44 am  #19

Well, well, well.

All this arcane radio business talk.

OK, here's some: The book before last brought a .01 rating. It ticked up a tock this fall because of TiCat broadcasts-that BTW are,to be kind, laughable-but they are still basically non existent.

Jim Tatti is the only real broadcaster there and some of the others come off as rank amateurs, if that.

There are many (former) listeners who are not enthused, including former PD Nevin, who can't even bear to discuss it anymore.

And the current PD? If he thinks intentionally tanking this thing will bring big alms from Bell, he is most likely dreaming.

When he has served his usefulness, he'll be back at Cable 14.

December 20, 2018 11:45 am  #20

RadioActive wrote:

... I personally like aspects of Funny 820 ...

Radio for me is Talk.  Funny 820 has become my standard late night listening.

December 20, 2018 12:36 pm  #21

DRTJO wrote:

Well, well, well.      There are many (former) listeners who are not enthused, including former PD Nevin, who can't even bear to discuss it anymore 

Well, well, well -- if they went Classic Country as someone suggested above, would Nevin move back from Courtice to the Hammer and run it?

December 20, 2018 12:40 pm  #22

I'll ask him!

Smarty pants.

December 20, 2018 1:29 pm  #23

KX 94.7 has a 6.2 share. Everybody who thinks a Classic Country format on 1150 is going to come anywhere close to that please raise your hand.

December 20, 2018 1:34 pm  #24

I'll admit to still having 820 as one of the presets of my car radio.  Once in a while, I'll even tune in.  The thing is, I find I can only take it in very small doses -- usually no longer than the next commercial break -- then I tune around looking for something else. 

Personally, I preferred classic country.  Near the end of its run as a classic country station, I used to get a bit of a chuckle over how many times they would play Marty Robbins' "El Paso" -- the long version.  Seems that was their automation systems go-to piece when something went wrong.  Fortunately, I love the song. 

As for TSN 1150, I haven't tuned in since the legendary CKOC went dark.  Apparently, I'm not alone.

Last edited by Peter the K (December 20, 2018 1:35 pm)

December 20, 2018 1:47 pm  #25

mike marshall wrote:

KX 94.7 has a 6.2 share. Everybody who thinks a Classic Country format on 1150 is going to come anywhere close to that please raise your hand.

I'll gladly take what 820 had before going all comedy...even if it's minus a share today, it's still better than what they have now. 

December 20, 2018 9:25 pm  #26

Chuck99 wrote:

I was not aware of the format change at 92.9 The Grand.  Next time I am in St. Catharines, I will find a street where the signal is not wiped out by 92.9 in Buffalo and give it a listen. 

http://player.listenlive.co/50171

December 21, 2018 12:42 am  #27

Problem's been fixed. But last year the best part of listening to CKOC was the 6am hour-top station ID. There'd be up to 15 seconds or so of dead air right at the top of the hour. Hearing TSN followed by an ID from WIMA in Lima Ohio or WHBY in Kimberley Wisconsin was funnier than Funny 820.

December 21, 2018 6:46 am  #28

Saul wrote:

Problem's been fixed. But last year the best part of listening to CKOC was the 6am hour-top station ID. There'd be up to 15 seconds or so of dead air right at the top of the hour. Hearing TSN followed by an ID from WIMA in Lima Ohio or WHBY in Kimberley Wisconsin was funnier than Funny 820.

Too bad they fixed it. Dead air would give me an excuse to listen to CKOC again.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 21, 2018 2:31 pm  #29

I, too, much preferred when CKOC was an actual radio station. And CHUM. And thankfully no one played Drake in the heyday of Top 40 Radio...

December 21, 2018 2:49 pm  #30

Saul wrote:

I, too, much preferred when CKOC was an actual radio station. And CHUM. And thankfully no one played Drake in the heyday of Top 40 Radio...

I see what you did there.