sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2018 5:40 pm  #241

Re: The Songs Oldies Radio Forgot

December 13, 2018 5:47 pm  #242

There were all kinds of special versions of Life Is A Rock. If a station was big enough, they'd record a one-off with the station's call letters embedded in the song.

I remember one that aired on WCFL in Chicago. When it came to the chorus, you'd hear "Life Is A Rock, But CFL Rolled Me."

Not to be outdone, fierce competitor WLS also had one.  

Here's another version from WRC in Washington, D.C.

I'm not sure how many special editions they made, but there were a number of them. 

Last edited by RadioActive (December 13, 2018 5:55 pm)

December 13, 2018 5:55 pm  #243

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 13, 2018 6:04 pm)

December 13, 2018 6:06 pm  #244

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 13, 2018 6:08 pm)

December 13, 2018 6:23 pm  #245

December 13, 2018 11:57 pm  #246

RadioActive wrote:

There were all kinds of special versions of Life Is A Rock. If a station was big enough, they'd record a one-off with the station's call letters embedded in the song.

I remember one that aired on WCFL in Chicago. When it came to the chorus, you'd hear "Life Is A Rock, But CFL Rolled Me."

Not to be outdone, fierce competitor WLS also had one.  

Here's another version from WRC in Washington, D.C.

I'm not sure how many special editions they made, but there were a number of them. 

There's also a Pop Top for this song, courtesy WPGC.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/poptop-wpgc-reunion.mp3

Last edited by Dale Patterson (December 13, 2018 11:59 pm)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 14, 2018 1:24 am  #247

WTRX (AM 1330 in Flint) played this one --

Trix also played this song. The Delcos were from my birthplace, South Bend Indiana, which automatically makes them cool -- 

December 14, 2018 1:32 am  #248

Another extremely cool song whose title is a place named on the map. This will get your attention when you're 10 and the National Geographic world atlas is your favorite book. There's also a Spanish version --

December 14, 2018 11:38 am  #249

Ah, Gene Pitney. Now there was a voice.

December 14, 2018 12:30 pm  #250

I was producing a talk show a long time ago, when we decided to have Gene Pitney as a guest by phone from his home in Connecticut. He was absolutely terrific, but very humble, which I thought was great.

He told lots of stories about his career and his songs, although the one that fascinated me most was his tale of always being mistaken as the lead singer of "Black Is Black" by Los Bravos. He claimed that it had followed him through the years and he could never quite put the rumour to rest that it wasn't him! (And truth be told, if you listen to it, it does sound just like him.)

The station we were at changed format about a year later and blew everyone out the door, as so often happens. It wasn't until a few years later that I discovered Pitney had come back to Toronto (at the old Imperial Room, as I recall) and had left two VIP tickets for the host and me at the box office. But when his people tried to reach us at the radio station, they were told we were no longer there. 

A real shame. I would have loved to have met him in person.

December 14, 2018 12:36 pm  #251

One more thing about a song that was among Pitney's biggest hits. "It Hurts To Be In Love" was a smash in 1964, right when the British invasion was happening. He wouldn't have another Top 10 until "(She's A) Heartbreaker," his last chart topper ever around 1968.

But "Hurts" wasn't supposed to be a Pitney song at all. In fact, it had been recorded and was ready for release by Neil Sedaka. But when he had some sort of dispute with the record label and signed a new deal elsewhere, the company wiped off his vocal, left the backing track and had Pitney re-record the lead. 

If you ever listen to the tune, you can sort of hear that it's a Sedaka-kind of record and you can envision (en-hear?) him doing it. It might have happened if things had been different. But it became one of Pitney's biggest hits, all because Neil Sedaka went somewhere else.

December 14, 2018 1:13 pm  #252

Last edited by Dial Twister (December 14, 2018 2:21 pm)

December 14, 2018 2:27 pm  #253

December 15, 2018 12:48 pm  #254

It may have been written way back in 1947, but the definitive version wasn't released until Dean Martin "owned" it in 1964. I can still see mom and dad dancing around the room to this one...

C'mon, you know you love it.

December 15, 2018 1:26 pm  #255

The Walker Brothers 1966 cover of Frankie Valli's 1965 release always seemed to end too soon. See if it doesn't for you too...

December 17, 2018 11:43 am  #256

Which pair do 'you' prefer?

or.......

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 17, 2018 11:50 am)

December 17, 2018 12:43 pm  #257

I always liked Willow Weep For Me, although it wasn't a huge hit here.

I'm not sure if Dale is able to program Oh Wow to air a certain song at a specific time, but here's one that might go well at exactly midnight Eastern on Jan. 1, as 2019 kicks in. It's the G-Clefs "I Understand (Auld Lang Syne)", the only Top 40 tune (#9 Billboard in 1961) to incorporate that New Year's tune into a hit. 

Although I'll admit it's a bit depressing for a New Year's song!

December 17, 2018 2:05 pm  #258

Thanks to DeepTracks, RadioActive and a few others, this thread keeps on keepin' on.

This single, from 1986, is the title track from the album by the same name. Rather a bizarre video too..

December 17, 2018 6:14 pm  #259

RadioActive wrote:

I always liked Willow Weep For Me, although it wasn't a huge hit here.

I'm not sure if Dale is able to program Oh Wow to air a certain song at a specific time, but here's one that might go well at exactly midnight Eastern on Jan. 1, as 2019 kicks in. It's the G-Clefs "I Understand (Auld Lang Syne)", the only Top 40 tune (#9 Billboard in 1961) to incorporate that New Year's tune into a hit. 

Although I'll admit it's a bit depressing for a New Year's song!

Freddie & The Dreamers had a minor hit  [#36] with I Understand in May 1965.

December 17, 2018 8:45 pm  #260

mace wrote:

Freddie & The Dreamers had a minor hit  [#36] with I Understand in May 1965.

December 17, 2018 9:22 pm  #261

That's a version I never heard.

I doubt Dale would be interested in this next one by the same group, because it never actually charted.

I discovered it on the flip side of a semi-non-hit called "Windmill In Old Amsterdam." I think it should have been the A side because it has become one of my all time favourite tunes of the 60s. The fact it was written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin doesn't hurt, either. 

I still believe "How's About Trying Your Luck With Me" would have been a huge Freddie and the Dreamers hit had they chosen it as the major release. I guess we'll never know, but I'm sure glad I was curious enough to turn this 45 over one day a long time ago. 

December 18, 2018 5:07 pm  #262

Have y'all noticed that this is a great way to watch Youtube videos? No commercials. 

This single (track 1) from Cat's 6th studio album reached #16 in 1973.

December 18, 2018 10:05 pm  #263

If only I could get away from the cold......

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 18, 2018 10:10 pm)

December 19, 2018 12:03 am  #264

When you have to cut a piece of twine for a project, what time is it? THX WTAC and WTRX ... Twine baby! Oooh ... ahhh ... ooh-ahh-ooh ...

December 19, 2018 9:36 am  #265

With apologies offered for any songs I may be duplicating, but it is hard to keep track of all those that have been submitted - even when I'm duplicating myself ,

but I thought, what better theme than 'radio'?

This last one is not my style of music, but what the hey!

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 19, 2018 1:41 pm)

December 19, 2018 2:41 pm  #266

Try not to move any part of your body while this plays...I dare ya! From 1960, and including Brook's lyric flub that they chose to leave in. 

And, another one for good measure.

December 19, 2018 3:21 pm  #267

December 19, 2018 3:53 pm  #268

Attention: Any new readers of, and hopefully new contributors to, this thread, take a look at ALL the previous posts

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 19, 2018 4:00 pm)

December 20, 2018 12:33 am  #269

If you lived through the Bacharach/David era, you understand. And few could interpret their songs like Dionne Warwick. Released in late 1962...

December 24, 2018 12:49 pm  #270

YES - with Anderson and Rabin, and some derivatives......

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 24, 2018 1:00 pm)