sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2018 10:56 pm  #1

Why Some Radio Fans Will Never Want A Tesla

It never really occurred to me, but the motors in some electric-only cars generate so much noise, a few manufacturers - including Tesla - have stopped adding an AM radio option.

Needless to say, many station operators who have interests on that band aren't happy and neither are some owners, including one quoted in the article who told the company when he found out about the omission "I was so mad I told them to take the car back."

Your Tesla Can Go Zero to 60 in 2.5 Seconds But Can’t Get AM Radio 

November 9, 2018 10:23 am  #2

Re: Why Some Radio Fans Will Never Want A Tesla

I'm pissed that a lot of new cars don't even have CD players.

November 9, 2018 11:08 am  #3

The Venn diagram of Tesla owners and AM radio listeners would have very little overlap in the first place.

November 9, 2018 12:53 pm  #4

O.K., it’s confession time. I admit it – I’m a dinosaur. Why? Because I almost never listen to anything on FM. There’s nothing on that band that appeals to me and with the very occasional exception of the CBC (which really is an AM station on a better sounding frequency) I rarely, if ever, tune into it.

Music on the radio no longer does it for me. I’d rather listen to something that makes me think, even if a lot of what’s on offer on talk radio these days doesn’t entirely live up to that standard.

It’s always bugged me that most car radios now offer two sets of FM presets, whereas you’re lucky to get 5 of them on the other band. I’d be just fine if it were the other way around. But you're never given that choice. As it is, my FM2 tuner remains with no presets on it. There just isn’t enough of anything I’d ever want to hear.  

So losing AM in the car would be a disaster for an old-fashioned Luddite like me. We’ve heard a lot lately about Millennials not listening to the radio or even knowing what a radio is. But then that same “evidence” suggests they don’t buy cars anymore, so perhaps the automakers should appeal to the audience they still have.

And that’s why I find taking AM out of cars to be alarming. Just to be clear, I'm not against FM - I enjoy following what stations are doing as part of the industry. But as a listener, well, just don't leave that as my sole choice behind the wheel.

Maybe AM should stand for “Against-Music.” And FM? Well, despite what the ratings prove, that’s just not For Me.

November 9, 2018 1:18 pm  #5

I had a headlight out a while back and spent some time comparing the myriad of LED replacement lights for my Jeep. Fortunately I stumbled across a review or something which mentioned the deterioration of AM reception caused by most/all LED headlight systems and I took a pass and got replacement halogen bulbs.

November 9, 2018 2:31 pm  #6

Have had a Tesla for 6 months now. Would never go back to a gasoline car especially as I now spend approx. $30/mo for electricity versus $250/mo in gas. Most of the major AM radio stations in the GTA are now broadcast on the FM HD2 or HD3 carriers in crystal clear quality. And we also have Tunein included.

November 9, 2018 2:37 pm  #7

Perhaps this should be a separate thread, but I'm curious - what do the assembled multitude here have pre-set on their car radios?

Mine are: 

#1 680 News,
#2 GNR 640
#3 CFRB
#4 CKTB St. Catharines,
#5 CHAM Hamilton, and
#6 The Fan 590.

I'm an inveterate station switcher with one of those shifting buttons on the steering wheel, so I wind up listening to all or most of them during an average drive. But I still wish I had an "AM 2" option, so I could set a few more! 

November 9, 2018 3:56 pm  #8

#1 CFRB 1010
#2 CFMJ 640
#3 WBEN 930
#4 FAN 590
#5 CHUM 1050
#6 CJBC 860 (Radio-Canada CBC French)

I mostly listen to CFRB and WBEN. 640 only for Oakley, and the sports channels for live games - sports talk bores me to death.

RadioActive wrote:

Perhaps this should be a separate thread, but I'm curious - what do the assembled multitude here have pre-set on their car radios?

Mine are: 

#1 680 News,
#2 GNR 640
#3 CFRB
#4 CKTB St. Catharines,
#5 CHAM Hamilton, and
#6 The Fan 590.

I'm an inveterate station switcher with one of those shifting buttons on the steering wheel, so I wind up listening to all or most of them during an average drive. But I still wish I had an "AM 2" option, so I could set a few more! 

Last edited by milton (November 9, 2018 3:58 pm)

November 9, 2018 4:51 pm  #9

milton wrote:

#1 CFRB 1010
#2 CFMJ 640
#3 WBEN 930
#4 FAN 590
#5 CHUM 1050

So YOU'RE the one who listens to CJBC in Toronto! I always knew there must be somebody, but you're the only one I've ever run into who admits it. The station regularly gets hash marks in the ratings, if they're listed at all. Sad when you consider how great that signal is. 

November 9, 2018 5:30 pm  #10

For AM radio, mine are:

1 The Fan 590
2 AM 640
3 680 News
3 Funny 820
4 Newstalk 1010
5 TSN 1050

Mostly I'm on 680 News and The Fan when the Jays are in season.  I live downtown so I'll listen to AM 740 on the FM repeater sometimes.

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (November 9, 2018 5:32 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

November 9, 2018 5:39 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

milton wrote:

#1 CFRB 1010
#2 CFMJ 640
#3 WBEN 930
#4 FAN 590
#5 CHUM 1050

So YOU'RE the one who listens to CJBC in Toronto! I always knew there must be somebody, but you're the only one I've ever run into who admits it. The station regularly gets hash marks in the ratings, if they're listed at all. Sad when you consider how great that signal is. 

Guilty as charged, although it is pretty low on my rotation, so I do not get to it nearly as much these days as I used to.

In the early to mid 2000s, I was still a big CBC listener (before a big strike they had I think around 2006), the national French morning show was called Indicatif présent, presented by Marie-France Bazzo, to which I used to tune in fairly often on 860.

These days my audience is much more occasional. The local (and provincial) programming comes across as a bit silly when you consider French is something like the 18th most spoken language in Toronto, and likely exclusively by people who speak good to perfect English (such as me). But I still give it a whirl sometimes to practice my rusty French, much like pressing 2 on touch tone when calling the bank pour le service en français.

Sad also when you consider how outrageous that (publicly funded) budget must be.

Last edited by milton (November 9, 2018 5:47 pm)

November 9, 2018 6:58 pm  #12

No CKNT in a Tesla is really dissapointing.

November 9, 2018 10:11 pm  #13

Breaking the CKNT hair thread for a bit, I realised that AM reception might be tough in an automobile with much potential for RF interference.

November 9, 2018 11:17 pm  #14

#1 Fan 590 (For my wife when she wants to listen to baseball games in the car in the summer.  I don't listen.)
#2, AM640 
#3, 680 News (mainly for the traffic reports)
#4, AM 740 (I still don't like the term "Zoomer")
#5, Newstalk 1010
#6, Funny 820 (used to be CKOC but they're dead to me now.  I'm just too lazy to swap #5 and #6 to keep my buttons in numberical order by frequency.)

I'm usually flipping between buttons #2 and #5 but have been known to land on #4 if I'm out in the evening or #6 if nothing else interests me.

November 10, 2018 12:16 am  #15

92.5 HD2 

November 10, 2018 12:52 am  #16

Newstalk 1010
TSN 1050
GNR am640
Sportsnet 590
680 News

Regarding owning a Tesla, along with the lack of an AM radio, the unique design of the doors means that if it's raining out, it's also raining IN the part of the interior of the car that's left completely exposed when the doors are open. Tesla schamessla...

November 10, 2018 1:20 pm  #17

Chrisphen wrote:

I'm pissed that a lot of new cars don't even have CD players.

Canadian Tire will be happy to install one in your glove compartment

K.

November 10, 2018 4:32 pm  #18

My AM presets:

I listen to AM radio very occasionally, mostly to 740 and 1010.  I also listen to FM very occasionally to 88.5, 96.3 or 99.1
Most of the time, my car radio is set to Sirius XM for easy listening music on Escape. My other XM favourites are
Radio Classics, The Bridge, Love, 50's on 5, 60's on 6, BBC News, and CNN only for breaking news. I find that I listen to XM much more than terrestrial radio whether at home or in the car.

November 10, 2018 9:25 pm  #19

My 6 presets on AM:

1.  590-CJCL

2,  680-CHFI

3   950 (for potential nighttime DX, such as WAKM, CKNB or CFAM... or I can tune up 10 kHz and listen to KLTF, WERC or WFIR on 960)

4.  1010-CFRB

5   1350 (a good spot to jump from for looking for DX in the 1300s)

6.  1570 (same idea on 1350)

November 11, 2018 8:09 am  #20

If you can afford the price point, you could afford to stream your AM radio through your phone.