sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 6, 2018 9:46 pm  #1

Hamilton College Station Gets Seven Year Licence Renewal

This is for those in the Hammer, because this station isn't receivable in Toronto, and I'm not sure how many here even know it exists.

Here's my favourite part of the article, from HamiltonNews.com:

"Among the conditions for the renewal is that The Hawk is not allowed to broadcast more than 504 minutes of advertising per broadcast week, which Palango said they don’t have to worry about.

We’ll never be near that because we don’t have an advertising department,” said Palango who noted they would be lucky to have 20 minutes of advertising on any given week."

Given what's happened to the industry, they may not be the only ones with that problem!

Mohawk College radio station The Hawk has a new licence

October 6, 2018 10:25 pm  #2

Re: Hamilton College Station Gets Seven Year Licence Renewal

that decision came out in june.  what am i missing?

those are standard col's for all campus stations.  but don't feel too bad, they get their cash from student fees and the crfc...

October 7, 2018 2:44 am  #3

splunge wrote:

they get their cash from student fees 

Did you read the last line of the article? 
"The MSA is no longer affiliated with the station, which can be heard throughout much of Hamilton, Burlington and Oakville."

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 7, 2018 2:44 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 7, 2018 3:32 am  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

splunge wrote:

"The MSA is no longer affiliated with the station, which can be heard throughout much of Hamilton, Burlington and Oakville."

well, considering the majority of the board of directors are associated with mohawk, according to their renewal app,  and to quote the hawk's website "Every full time fee-paying student at Mohawk College is a regular member of this corporation. A board of directors runs the Corporation"  The $100k from the college has to come from somewhere.

October 7, 2018 11:08 am  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

splunge wrote:

An organization can receive student fees without being run by or affiliated with the student government. 

October 8, 2018 12:19 pm  #6

The station was a bit of an oddity in the beginning because it was initially funded by the students association like similar stations at universities for example CFMU at McMaster. When the student's association felt it was not in their business plan to run a station anymore it was fortunate the college saw the value in keeping a functioning broadcast entity on campus. Les has been through many challenges as manager. Congratulations to him and all the long time volunteers for continuing to keep the station going. I will confess I was the station manager who was successful in getting the first license so I am always happy to see good news regarding the station at Mohawk.