sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 14, 2018 4:09 pm  #1

Jian Ghomeshi Resurfaces, But Gives No Apology

The disgraced former CBC host was acquitted in court but not in the court of public opinion. He's resurfaced with a reflection on what befell him - and what felled him - but it appears there's no room for a mea culpa.(And nothing about Big Ears Teddy.)

"I cannot just move to another town and reboot with a pseudonym. I’m constantly competing with a villainous version of myself online. This is the power of a contemporary mass shaming. Even people who are supportive sometimes have expectations of how I will act based on a singular, sexualized identity that was repeated in media stories..."

"For some, nothing I say here will be enough or be put the right way. Even as I feel deep remorse about how I treated some people in my life, I cannot confess to the accusations that are inaccurate. What I do confess is that I was emotionally thoughtless in the way I treated those I dated and tried to date. As well, I leveraged my influence and status to try to entice women and lead them on when they were interested. There are all sorts of old-fashioned words to describe men like this: player, creep, cad, Lothario."

Reflections from a Hashtag 

September 14, 2018 6:23 pm  #2

Re: Jian Ghomeshi Resurfaces, But Gives No Apology

Mmm...the Toronto Star indicates that Ghomeshi was apologetic...and admits to his being a "jerk" so to speak...

The article quotes Ghomeshi,In the essay, Ghomeshi writes nearly 3,500 words about his life’s implosion, and how the outcome of his trial left his accusers and many observers deeply unhappy.“There was a sentiment among them that, regardless of any legal exoneration, I was almost certainly a world-class prick, probably a sexual bully, and that I needed to be held to account beyond simply losing my career and reputation,” he writes.Here is the link to the Toronto Star article:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/09/14/ive-become-a-hashtag-jian-ghomeshi-writes-on-sex-assault-accusations-in-essay-for-us-magazine.html

Yet Vice writes a more scathing attack on Ghomeshi and offers no sympathy...

Here is more from Vice...  

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/zm5xxy/jian-ghomeshi-doesnt-deserve-anyones-pity

Definitely varying viewpoints.

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 14, 2018 7:08 pm  #3

You can read the essay at the link above and decide for yourself. 

That said, I don't think there's anything Ghomeshi could write that will ever exonerate him in the minds of most Canadians. Especially those who are CBC fans, generally more pro-Liberal and progressive. I think they see him as the ultimate betrayer of their values, even though he was not convicted in court.

September 14, 2018 9:30 pm  #4

steve paiken vs sarah thomson.  just sayin....

September 15, 2018 5:04 am  #5

The difference is Thomson's a loon and the only a accuser and there's no evidence backing her up, quite the contrary.

Last edited by Hansa (September 15, 2018 5:05 am)

September 15, 2018 5:26 am  #6

I have actually wondered, what would be next career wise for Ghomeshi?  Will Canadians ever be open to the idea of him being back on the airwaves?

How does one make a comeback, or take the next steps into a new career after he painted himself into a corner, guilty or not in the court of law?

Curious to hear other view points...

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 16, 2018 10:00 am  #7

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I have actually wondered, what would be next career wise for Ghomeshi?  Will Canadians ever be open to the idea of him being back on the airwaves?

How does one make a comeback, or take the next steps into a new career after he painted himself into a corner, guilty or not in the court of law?

Curious to hear other view points...

He appears to have moved to New York and is more likely to be able to get an on-air gig in the US than in Canada because most people have never heard of him there but I can't imagine NPR or even a local public radio station giving him a job given his background and if he got something on commerical radio it would probably be something like late evening or alternative rather than a headlining drive time or even daytime role. He could, conceivably, work as a music producer or promoter though (and was doing that as a side gig in Canada prior to his downfall).

Last edited by Hansa (September 16, 2018 10:04 am)

September 19, 2018 4:23 pm  #8

New York Review of Books editor Ian Buruma out after Jian Ghomeshi article:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4465847/ian-buruma-new-york-review-of-books-editor-jian-ghomeshi/

September 20, 2018 9:35 am  #9

Watch out, Blatch. There's another, more literate, Ghomeshi apologist looking for a job.

Last edited by Chrisphen (September 20, 2018 1:47 pm)