sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 12, 2018 9:30 am  #1

Retired Broadcaster Mark Elliot Remembers A Kinder Time

FYIMusicnews.ca has reprinted a Facebook post by the now retired Mark Elliot, formerly of CFRB's "People Helping People," an ex-rock jock and recovering drug addict. Now going by his real name of Nils Johansen, the longtime radio veteran laments the state of the industry he's left behind and wonders where future talent will bloom as a result of the way things are run today. 

"As one radio programmer told me recently, it's amazing how much local Canadian radio talent is on the side of the road today unable to find a job.

"Radio stations used to be mostly locally owned and operated. Of course, there were also corporate operators - but they were limited and only allowed to own a few radio and television stations. Now without limits, the few surviving corporate giants use their weight against the regulators."

Retired Broadcaster Mark Elliot Remembers A Kinder Time

September 12, 2018 10:26 am  #2

Re: Retired Broadcaster Mark Elliot Remembers A Kinder Time

I wish 740 (Zoomer) or even 640 would hire Mark/Nils for a late night or overnight shift. 

September 12, 2018 3:04 pm  #3

He's right on the money.  But none of that comes as a surprise to any of us here.  I think we all are acquainted with former radio people who have gone off in other directions such as voice work, public relations, real estate, or even trucking.  It's just a sad reality of what the industry has become.

Not expecting it to ever change back to the "good old days".  But that doesn't mean one can't lament about it once in a while.

I really miss when Mark/Nils was a regular here.  His writing is still riveting.  (With no offence to you, RadioActive.  Your writing is pretty damn good too.)

I hope he finishes that memoir he's been talking about writing.  It will surely be a "must read".

September 17, 2018 6:07 pm  #4

Thank you! I still look in once in awhile, and lurk but stay off the board.

September 17, 2018 7:45 pm  #5

Mark Elliot wrote:

....and lurk but stay off the board. 

Not any more. 

Welcome back.

September 22, 2018 11:01 pm  #6

Ex CHEZ jock Mike Giunta and I got into a bit more detail:

Radio was the dream job of kidss like me back in the 1960's, 70's, and into the 80's. Sad to see it in the state it's become today because it didn't have to happen.
Technologically we could have kept up with the times, like the British have. (Do you know DAB (Digital audio broadcasting) is doing fabulously well in most of the world? Excepting, of course, here)
Radio is being destroyed systematically by the people with the power to "fix it." But, they are bankers and accountants who don't know the first thing about what made radio great in the first place...
Artistic creativity.
You (Mike) understand it, I know. Harvey Glatt understood it, but the smartest move he made was selling CHEZ FM when he did. So did Jim Waters and Gary Slaight!

I fought what I thought was a good fight, but lost, crashed and burned out. Luckily I reinvented myself doing talk radio, which is the only place left to go if you want to be a personality on radio today. Otherwise get used to reading liner cards and saying "That was.."This is... "You're listening to (fill in the blank) minutes of non-stop...and don't forget to tune in tomorrow morning for..."
Remember that old  CHEZ 106 ad about "Break the General morning habit"? (referring to Ken "The General" Grant of heavyweight morning man on 580 CFRA) The picture in the ad had a guy face down on his pillow putting a hammer through his radio! That's me today listening to almost any station...
🤢 p.s. If you want to hear what can be done with radio today...and done THE RIGHT WAY! Give a listen to Indie 88 Toronto! They've got it!😜