sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2018 10:08 am  #1

640 Is Full Of Weekend Rerolls But This Is Ridiculous

I can't believe what I just heard on GNR 640 at 10 AM Sunday morning. Immediately following a reroll of Matt Gurney's weekday show, they went to news at the top of the hour, using the Canadian Press syndicated feed. 

And they ran a newscast from Friday! I was informed that Andrew Scheer had just delivered his speech to the Tory convention, that Robin Leach died, there were a number of games upcoming on Friday night in the CFL and that the Blue Jays were about to start a series with the Phillies, even though that series winds up this afternoon. 

I'm not sure if this was just an error but this is definitely taking the concept of reruns a bit too far!

August 26, 2018 10:48 am  #2

Re: 640 Is Full Of Weekend Rerolls But This Is Ridiculous

Friday's close... might help explain it..Corus Entertainment Inc. (CJRb.TO)3.93 0.06 (1.50%) 

August 26, 2018 10:51 am  #3

Are you saying they can't afford current news? (I wonder if day-old headlines are cheaper?)

August 26, 2018 11:03 am  #4

640 is on-air during the weekends/holidays? Who knew?!

The more serious issue is their Global branding.  While the television-side of Global is "always on", INCLUDING the weekends with "live" and current information, their sister radio station, 640, is not. Why? And what kind of image is the radio-side giving the rest of the network and affiliation?

Share prices or not, they will NEVER improve their ratings if they just play at this on a part-time basis. As they say, either poop or get off the... well, you know.

August 26, 2018 11:13 pm  #5

As Mr. Spock is once rumoured to have said, "I can't believe my ears!" I just heard 640's 11 PM newscast Sunday night and --- they did it again! Listeners were told about CFL games taking place on Friday night, the Jays starting their series against the Phillies and while Robin Leach is dead, John McCain was never mentioned.

I can see how this might take place once by accident. Twice (that I know of - I didn't hear them much the rest of the day)  is beyond ridiculous. Now I'm wondering if they spent the whole day living in the past. (Even their only live show, Roy Green's program out of Hamilton, was a rerun both days of the weekend, although it was never announced as such.)

How could this keep happening on a major Toronto radio station, even if it is on auto-pilot?

[Edit: Just monitored the 11:30 Canadian Press update and yep, it too was from Friday. Now I'm beginning to wonder if this is somehow deliberate or else extreme carelessness. Either way, it makes them sound completely out of touch.]

Last edited by RadioActive (August 26, 2018 11:38 pm)

August 27, 2018 12:12 am  #6

To conclude this shameful broadcasting schedule, as Sunday night turned into Monday morning, sure enough the midnight news on 640 was Friday again. I now suspect the entire day was 48 hours old. I have no idea what they were thinking beyond the fact that a reroll is a reroll, and that includes yesterday's or in this case three days ago's headlines.

August 27, 2018 1:20 am  #7

Sounds to me like they turn out the lights Friday night. Any desire to fix, change or improve something won't be dealt with until Monday no matter what. 

You'd think they would have found a way to borrow a body from Global news to do some updates. 
How much does it cost to do that? 

This is all very Ironic since it's the same company that mentioned on the TV side "Because news doesn't take the week-end off" back when Citynews was taking week-ends off.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 27, 2018 7:53 pm  #8

I wonder how many people (aside from people on this board) would actually tune into 640-CJRH/CFGM/CHOG/CFYI/CFMJ  on a Sunday to hear late-breaking news?

August 27, 2018 8:46 pm  #9

NW wrote:

I wonder how many people (aside from people on this board) would actually tune into 640-CJRH/CFGM/CHOG/CFYI/CFMJ  on a Sunday to hear late-breaking news?

And yet, between the endless shills for my pillow and Frank the wonderkid Leo, they drone about the area deserving a greater Toronto. As long as it's Monday-friday 9-5. They wonder why their ratings are hovering barely above a flatline.

September 3, 2018 8:19 pm  #10

Whoops, they did it again.

I just heard GNR 640's 8 PM newscast on Labour Day Monday night, Sept. 3rd. As near as I can figure from the sports report, it was Canadian Press anchor Rob Westgate's top of the hour cast from Tuesday, August 28th. We were told at the end of this newscast that the Jays were playing the Orioles (they're actually starting a series against the Rays) and that they lost yesterday - meaning last Monday. 

I simply can't believe they let this keep happening with their rerolls, in this case the show hosted by Alex Pierson. As you know by previous posts here, they did the same thing, ironically enough with the previous week's news on August 27th.

I now think I understand what's happening here. 640 is literally airing a reroll of the show that aired last Tuesday - complete with a totally dated newscast. I'm guessing there is no one there to insert the new one (CP is now taped just prior to air for delivery to stations, which is why some air it seconds earlier or later than other affiliates.) But clearly someone has to download it from the source and there's no one there as the station drifts on autopilot. 

(On second thought, even that makes no sense, since there's a live station newsreader on duty until midnight during the weekdays. Which might mean someone thought it would be a good idea to splice in last week's newscast to fill that top of the hour hole.) 

To have this happen once is absurd. To have it happen a second week is inexcusable. I'm pretty sure the powers that be at CP are aware of this and they can't be too happy, because it makes them look bad. Not to mention how poorly it reflects on 640 itself.

And while you may say there aren't that many listeners on Labour Day Monday night (which is beside the point) think of all the people stuck in traffic coming home from cottage country that could be tuning in and hearing last week's news.

They really need to do something about this before it happens again (and I'm certain it will for the rest of the night.) I actually like a lot of 640's programming but this is just an embarrassment. Again. 

September 3, 2018 9:10 pm  #11

That's awful and what it shows is a blatant disregard for whatever audience is out there at that hour of the morning. 

Here’s what I heard at 9 PM Monday, and sure enough, it was even worse than I thought. It appears this rerun newscast isn't even from that evening!

The stories:

-Canada to join NAFTA talks “today” (The talks are over and resume this coming Wednesday)

-Flags at half mast until McCain’s funeral on Sunday (He was laid to rest yesterday)

-OPP officer facing charges after arrest

-Indigenous settlement payout

-Experts to talk about “killer robot” weapons in Geneva

Sports: Jays playing 2nd game in Baltimore (They’re actually home and facing the Rays) and

-Tennis: Bouchard plays “this afternoon” (it’s been over for days  - and it’s night!)

Sad all the way around. I would be very interested to know how this is happening. Is it a weird glitch, deliberate or just careless?

September 3, 2018 10:48 pm  #12

Speaking of cost-cutting (from Facebook & Twitter):

"Programming note: We're enjoying the day off too, so there won't be a CTV Barrie newscast tonight at 6 or 11 p.m. You can still find local news on our website though, visit barrie.ctvnews.ca."

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

September 3, 2018 11:12 pm  #13

Dale Patterson wrote:

Speaking of cost-cutting (from Facebook & Twitter):

"Programming note: We're enjoying the day off too, so there won't be a CTV Barrie newscast tonight at 6 or 11 p.m. You can still find local news on our website though, visit barrie.ctvnews.ca."

...and the website is still mostly news from friday..

September 9, 2018 3:56 pm  #14

Just when I thought 640 couldn't get any stranger, comes this. On Saturday, during breaks in the Roy Green Show, there were repeated local airings of a promo/commercial for the multi-network special "Stand Up To Cancer," a celebrity-laden fundraiser to raise money to fight the disease, which ran on Global.  

Sounds fine, except for one thing - the show actually aired on Friday night, more than 18 hours earlier. In other words, it had already been on, was long since over and was not going to be rerun. And to make matters worse, the V/O tag noted to be sure to tune in "Friday night at 8 PM." I heard the spot at least twice and it may have run more than that. 

My question: how do these things keep happening over there? Is it a traffic department error, an automation mistake or something else? I quite like a lot of 640's programming, but this does nothing for their credibility and it doesn't make them sound very professional. Especially when it keeps happening. 

[Edit: Just heard the same promo on Sunday at 4:18 PM. So now it's two days old.]

Last edited by RadioActive (September 9, 2018 4:25 pm)