sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2018 1:13 pm  #1

Global’s SD Subcarrier On Channel 41.2 Is Gone

Just noticed that the only real Canadian subcarrier channel I’ve ever heard of appears to be no more. For several years, Global had been carrying an SD version of its High Def output on channel 41.2, for those who get their TV off an antenna. I’ve never been able to figure out why it was there, exactly, but it was.

Sometime in the last few weeks, though, it disappeared. Or at least the video and audio did. My set still reads a 100% signal and quality strength on the now black channel, but there’s nothing there.

It’s a shame Canadian stations aren’t allowed to have the same kind of digital extras that the U.S. has. WGRZ alone now has three additional channels piggybacked onto its main signal, a mostly sitcom rerun station, a crime and justice format and the latest, a sort of poor man’s Discovery network.

I’m not entirely sure if they’re not allowed here or the companies simply don’t care. Bell and Rogers are unlikely to ever take advantage of it in any case, preferring you subscribe and pay for any of their offerings as opposed to giving anything away for free. But I wonder if a TVO, a CHCH or even a CBC would be interested in launching a turnkey subcarrier if given the chance. Although given TVO's infamous attempt to shut down all but its Toronto OTA transmitters, I doubt they'd go for it, either

Although most cord-cutters are watching over the Internet these days, my friends in the antenna business tell me they can’t keep up with demand and that for the most part business is booming. So someone is watching OTA. And if you believe them, it’s a growing number.

July 31, 2018 1:40 pm  #2

Re: Global’s SD Subcarrier On Channel 41.2 Is Gone

It is also gone from their 6-1  Paris Ontario signal which I pickup in Etobicoke also.  At the cottage, the 7-1 "Midland" signal never had their -2 subcarrier strangely enough.  Perhaps because its a VHF signal?

August 1, 2018 12:27 pm  #3

Good to get rid of the dinosaur. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 2, 2018 1:04 pm  #4

CBC/Radio-Canada could have saved a lot of money (and expanded Radio Canada's footprint) if they put CBC and SRC TV on one digital transmitter (CBC on x.1 and Radio Canada on x.2). 

August 2, 2018 11:17 pm  #5

The CRTC has had the infrastructure to approve sub-channel licenses for years now. No one's taken them up on that because the majority of our broadcasters have vested interests in keeping people on pay TV.