sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 30, 2018 8:42 pm  #1

Will 106.5 In Toronto Sign On Before The End Of June As Promised?

Last June, the CRTC awarded a licence to First Peoples Radio to replace Aboriginal Voices, which once occupied 106.5 FM in Toronto. The latter outfit was found guilty of an endless number of infractions, leading the Commission to yank its licence and offer it up to another Indigenous group. 

The new owner of the valuable frequency has vowed to be up and running by National Indigenous Peoples Day, which takes place on June 21st. I have no idea how far along they are, although they announced they were hiring staff at the beginning of the year. There's certainly been no test signal at the vacated spot on the dial, and with May beginning this week, that doesn't leave them much time to get testing and then get on the air. 

If they can do it in just about a year from the day their licence was awarded, it should be a lesson to my favourite non-radio station, CKNT 960 in Mississauga, which has been trying to sign on since they were given the go ahead by the CRTC way back in 2011 - now seven years and counting! Their latest extension says they have to be on air by July 31st. That's not that long from now either, and there's no word if they've got their transmitter issues fixed, hired a single employee or even have a physical studio location. 

It's worth keeping an ear on both frequencies over the next few weeks/months to see if either one actually makes it on at their promised time. 

April 30, 2018 8:55 pm  #2

Re: Will 106.5 In Toronto Sign On Before The End Of June As Promised?

From what I've heard, yes; they'll be on time.

May 11, 2018 9:12 pm  #3

Couldn’t hear 106.5 WYRK today. Tried again tonight and only getting a bunch of static. Sounds like new local station is up and running doing tests on their signal.

Last edited by peter.spyksma@rogers.com (May 11, 2018 10:22 pm)

May 11, 2018 10:20 pm  #4

Has the new station 106.5 had call letters assigned to it yet? 

May 11, 2018 11:35 pm  #5

they have 2 years from the decision date to go live.  why force an inferior product if they are not ready

May 12, 2018 11:50 pm  #6

splunge wrote:

they have 2 years from the decision date to go live. why force an inferior product if they are not ready

Look, from the time of fertilization to the time the Mob approves a station is anywhere from 3-5 years. Add another 1-2 post-approval. If you STILL have an inferior product: SHUT IT DOWN. There should be NO extensions granted for going live - none.

And, excuse me for being politically incorrect (why stop now), but, how much of an aboriginal audience is there REALLY? The area would be better served with multilingual stations, in addition to CHIN and a spanking of low-powers. I bet there's more demand for right-wing Korean flogging polka than Aboriginal.