sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 25, 2018 2:47 pm  #1

CBS All Access Now In Canada But Why Would You Want It?

The first American TV broadcast network to make its programming available over the net to Canadians launched here this week. But after looking it over, it’s not hard to wonder if it’s doomed to failure – at least in the early going.

CBS All Access became a lightning rod for some in the United States when the network announced it would be showing “The Good Fight” - a sequel to its long running and since cancelled “The Good Wife” - exclusively over the streaming service. Then there were more howls of outrage down south when its pricey and Toronto-shot “Star Trek Discovery” began running on the service –and not over conventional television.

A subscription also gives users “all access” to commercial free streams of many current shows like “Mom,” as well as the CBS library of classics, including “The Twilight Zone.” All for $5.99 a month.

So what’s not to like? Well, as usual, there are strings attached in Canada.

CBS sold the new “Star Trek” to Space here, so it’s not on the service we’ll get. “The Good Fight” runs on the W Network north of the border and I’m not entirely sure that’s there, either. Certainly its biggest hit, “The Big Bang Theory,” isn’t, with Bell having gobbled up the streaming rights a long time ago.

Worse yet, if you go to the Canadian site, there’s no list at all about what you can see here and what you can’t. Which also won’t help them sell it.

So do you want to fork over $6 a month for the same shows you can watch on regular TV, plus a few classics, albeit commercial free, without getting everything the Americans can see for the exact same price? It’s doubtful but it will be fascinating to see how this CBS-lite service does here. Success could mean more U.S. networks will leak across the border. A disaster would likely put an end to anyone trying to beat CraveTV or Netflix at their own games.

But once again, Canadians get punished simply for living on this side of the border.

For CBS and its suppliers, which already rake in a small fortune selling rights to Canuck broadcast and cable outlets, it’s a case of trying to have their cake and eat it, too. I just wonder if this time, it will wind up giving them a case of financial indigestion.

Canadians get limited version of new CBS streaming app

April 25, 2018 3:08 pm  #2

Re: CBS All Access Now In Canada But Why Would You Want It?

RadioActive wrote:

So do you want to fork over $6 a month for the same shows you can watch on regular TV, plus a few classics,

You get one month free. That's plenty of time to decide without having to pay anything. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 25, 2018 3:08 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Worse yet, if you ...there’s no list at all about what you can see here and what you can’t. Which also won’t help them sell it.

They are offering 1 month free -- that's where you can see what is on their slate.

April 25, 2018 3:41 pm  #4

cGrant wrote:

They are offering 1 month free

Yes, I already mentioned that. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 25, 2018 4:02 pm  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

cGrant wrote:

They are offering 1 month free 

Yes, I already mentioned that.  

Look at the time stamp.
[img][IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/28mgu4o.jpg[/img][/img]

April 25, 2018 5:17 pm  #6

Worse yet, if you go to the Canadian site, there’s no list at all about what you can see here and what you can’t. Which also won’t help them sell it.

All SVOD services are like that. Try browsing through Netflix or Crave's library without an account.

April 25, 2018 5:20 pm  #7

Retaw wrote:

Try browsing through Netflix or Crave's library without an account.

Both of those services also give a 1-month free trial.

April 25, 2018 5:51 pm  #8

Retaw wrote:

All SVOD services are like that. Try browsing through Netflix or Crave's library without an account.

And yet if you go to the CBS U.S. site, it's all there. And I certainly don't subscribe to the service. 

CBS All Access U.S. 

And maybe it's just me - and judging by the response, I suppose it is. But before I give any of my personal information to a company, let alone a credit card - even for CBS - I want to know what I'm getting first. Free preview or not. 

April 25, 2018 6:57 pm  #9

No Star Trek Discovery, either, That belongs to Space in the Great White North. and for many, that was the main attraction of the service. It should be interesting to watch whether future original shows get sold to Canadian cable outlets or if they'll keep them to themselves now that this service is available here.