sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 8, 2017 11:26 am  #1

Listeners Outraged Over Threat To Their Favourite Radio Station

This isn't local but there’s a very interesting controversy developing with one of the great American radio stations that many in this part of the world listen to at night. And it’s another cautionary tale about the current trend of media mergers.  

It revolves around the former home of the great Larry Glick and you can only wonder what he’d have to say about what’s happening at WBZ Boston. The 50K clear channel pioneer at 1030 AM has recently been sold as part of a huge deal that sees CBS and Entercom merging, forcing them to get rid of some valuable radio properties.

WBZ’s new owner? The somewhat odious iHeartRadio Group. Despite being THE heritage station in Beantown, the new owners have announced they won’t be honouring the contracts signed by the previous stewards of the place, and will be considering “for employment the on-air announcers and off-air production staff currently employed by CBS at WBZ-AM."

In other words, expect mass firings for cost savings, despite the fact BZ’s numbers have always been very good. Longtime listeners are up in arms and have started a petition threatening to tune out for good if they don’t leave the current line-up alone and honour the agreements. “Let there be no mistake,” it reads. “If iHeartMedia guts the WBZ Newsroom, we will tune out–and we will actively seek alternatives to products and services offered by WBZ advertisers.”

Tellingly, the petition asks signatories for their state – or their province - which demonstrates the station’s popularity and its reach. It’s also unusual for listeners to be so attached to a radio property that they’d go to this length and the story would make headlines in prominent newspapers like the Boston Globe.

And it’s another sign of what happens when the big guys get even bigger and radio consolidation lets giant corporations take over – entities who care more about serving the bottom line than serving listeners.

What happens next on this front? Stay tuned. Or don’t. Depending on what the new bosses decide.

WBZ listeners urge iHeart not to weaken Boston News radio

November 8, 2017 4:54 pm  #2

Re: Listeners Outraged Over Threat To Their Favourite Radio Station

One of my prize possessions is my GLICK UNIVERSITY T-SHORT sent to me by Larry Glick from WBZ Boston.  I still tune in to the station from time to time.  It would be a shame for Boston to lose such an outstanding news service.  

November 8, 2017 6:25 pm  #3

I still remember Larry Glick's phone number. 617 254-5678. Also enjoyed Bob Raleigh overnights and Norm Nathan on weekends. Particularly at 3AM when he would take "contestants" for the Guess the age of the famous celebrity birthday game. All for the chance to win a WBZ pen or coffee mug.

November 8, 2017 7:55 pm  #4

... and don't forget about WBZ's Bob Lobel - CALLING ALL SPORTS!  He was great.  

Larry Glick's producer was "Muck"

April 5, 2018 10:51 am  #5

Looks like all those predictions about the changes at WBZ were right

Rod Fritz on WBZ firing: ‘I walked in ... and kapow!’

April 5, 2018 4:03 pm  #6

As I continuously point out...to the point...while making the point...that even I roll my eyes at my effing redundancy  [but hey!!!  it's not my fault]   Radio just doesn't give a flying hoot about the audience.  THIS will ultimately kill radio.  This 'business' is bad for business.  Seldom has a collective entity been so talentless, rudderless and stupid.  But that's the norm.  And as 'Bruce' pointed out some 35 years ago...'The Trouble With Normal Is .. ...... .... ....."

April 6, 2018 7:36 pm  #7

I too am a "Glick-nick" and still a member of his long-time digital tribute club. Bottom line for listeners, go after the station's advertisers. Tell them, listeners will boycott any business that advertises with the station when it flips to iHeart. We can't roll back the clock to when BZ ruled the night with Guy Manella & Calling All Sports Jerry Williams talk show and Larry Glick's all night get-together. P1's are pee o'd   Radio needs listeners but radio is also a business, and like any business they need money to operate. So tell the business people where the buck is going and it's not with them IF BZ crashes.

April 7, 2018 11:41 am  #8

Yup.  That's how it's done 'rdw'.  $ talks...AND often gets 'oiled'.